A&P Kodak DX7590, Minolta Dimage Z3, Canon S1 or Panasonic DMC-FZ3

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DiabSoule!, Dec 17, 2004.

1. DiabSoule!

DiabSoule! ooh, plum been runnin', buck a doz. ooh, smoke ba

That's what it looks like I am down to all in the same price range. Would loev the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 or even the FZ15 but too much $$$. I am a bit of a novice and would like soem suggestions/experiences with these models.

Spec vs $$$ wise, the Kodak seems like a winner 5.0mp, 10x optical zoom (38mm-380mm 35mm equivalent). The FZ3, Dimage Z3, & Canon S1 have image stabilization which I think would come in handy when using telephoto without a tripod. However, they sacrifice pixel count (~3MP for the S1 & FZ3, 4MP for the Dimage Z3).

Is the Kodak as good as the specs suggest??

2. mojito

mojito New Member

stabilization is more important than the higher mp. I've always been a fan of the Panasonics

3. warm

warm Capitalism ftw

The number of megapixels doesn't tell you the quality of the camera. A 4MP picture can be blown up to 8x10 without any loss of quality/clarity. Pay attention to the control you'll have over your photographs - you may want to be able to change the ISO, shutter speed, aperature, etc, manually (I haven't looked at any camera on that list other than the Z3, so I don't know what kind of features they have).

I'd recommend checking out Steve's Digicams (stevesdigicams.com) if you haven't already done so and reading the review on each one of the cameras you've picked out. The reviews usually include pictures taken with the camera being reviewed.