WEB know about mail servers? (running them, not like a noob how to setup outlook question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Dec 24, 2007.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

edit- cliffs at the bottom for u lazy people :squint:

I'm trying to find the best way to send out around 10,000 copies of an email (and I know what you're thinking, it's not spam, some of these people were actually really pissed offwhen some got my 1st attempt and they didn't). We're trying to send out special discounts and newsletters to our customers that chose to recieve them (similar to amazon, vistaprint, overstock etc.). My first attempt didn't go so well. I used a php script called webinsta, (which seemed like a well written sript). I think it may actually be the mail server we're running, it's the free version of mail enable running on a windows server, and it had like 1000's of qued outgoing messages and the machine was just about maxing out it's resources (and I've never even seen it using more than 10%, it's only running 1 somewhat high traffic site) . Restarted the server and deleted the 1000's of qued messages, tried sending it out again in chunks of 500, it was just a big mess. Word got out on a forum of the discount code we sent out and we seriously got at least 20 calls in one day from customers bitching about not getting it (people that I know were on the list), hell I was on the list and didn't even get my copy. What's the correct way to do something like this? I have root access to the server running windows 03/iis 5 (does have php installed too) and the free mailenable mail server that was installed with plesk. Do I even have to use the mail server? Mail servers are one of the few things I've never really messed with. I was about to write a little asp script to loop through my db and figure out some way to rig it up to send 1 like every 5 or 10 sec (like throw it in my global header include file that gets called about 50,000 times a day). There's got to be a better way. Need a better mail server? The mail enable server is kinda nice for our normal email (around 25-30 accounts) bc it's integrated with plesk and just one less thing for me to have to deal with (plesk makes my life a little bit easier :) ). Getting pissed off trying to find any info about it, I guess it's such a hot google keyword, all you find is bullshit spamming companies, mail lists for sale, you name it.

wow didn't mean to ramble that much...let me make some cliffs.
    Trying to send ~10,000 emails from a windows server with root access. First attempt using a php script and mailenable (free version) was a disaster, crashed mail server and about crashed the whole server period. Best way to do it?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

edit:

1. specs on server?

2. Why didn't it work when you tried sending them out in chunks?

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

That's all we need, we have a super niche market.

Don't know if the :rofl: is bc that's such a high # or low but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're lol'ing bc it's not that many emails. Well that's what I thought too, 10,000 emails no problem, till it crashed my whole damn web server and had to reboot, then on top of that I always get a phone call or 2 from people letting me know our site's been down for the past 1.5 min :hsugh:.

Like I said, I know windows, iis, asp, mysql inside and out, but don't know shit about mail servers.

Anyone have anything more productive than :rofl: to add? :x:

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

lol...I see what u did there :)

1. It's a virtual private server. It's way overkill for what we need, but I hate not having root access, and really hated sharing a server that's oversold to the max with a bunch of morons that somehow crash the database server (also shared by a million people I'm sure). Finally raised enough hell that they let me buy a vps. Hell we ran a site doing over 1m/yr in revenue for $6 a month for 3 years.

Windows 2003 Server
    Equal share CPU (Xeon 800FSB 3.6GHz)
    1GB RAM
    30GB disk space
    900GB bandwidth
    6 IP addresses
    2 RDC licenses
    Remote reboot access
    Optional Plesk 8.21
    Optional Power Pack2
    10GB offsite FTP space
    Remote reboot access

Anyway....specs obviously not an issue

2. Not sure, really not even sure how many were delivered and how many weren't. Just know lots of people didn't receive them. I think it may have been that lots of these addresses are 3-4 years old and lots of them bounced. I noticed the mail server keeps on trying and trying for a day or two, (in longer increments each try). Had 1000's being requed for at least a day or 2. I think this mail server may just be a pos, but don't know much about it

5. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

it should't be hard to send out 10k emails, I've sent out 40k but it takes a couple hours. I use linux and not windows. you might need someone to do this for you or get a linux server with exim. I have a script to use and I have other ways but I haven't had any problems.

6. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

You should be able to do it with perl pretty easy. I have never done it with Windows just linux. I sent out 225,000 mails at one time with linux and a perl script. You should be able to do it on your box. How quickly are you expecting all mail out?

One of my current clients uses a company called iContact. They do a really good job.

7. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Nothing really urgent or anything, I'd rather it take a day and everyone receive them, than 20 min and only 1/2 of them make it out. I mean I know windows sucks for a webserver, but I'm sure this machine's capable of sending 10k emails, windows or not. I know windows inside and out but have actually never even touched a linux box before, so w/ me being the administrator I just got a Windows box, oh yea and also wrote all the shopping cart scripts in asp which would have been a slight issue as well :hs:.

I'm thinking it's got to be that mail server. No one know's of any decent windows mail software :wtc:?

lol...only thing I have on linux is a dreamhost account (no root access obviously) which I'm currently trying to see how much of my 5000gigs/month (no that's not a typo :hsugh:) OTAH can use bf they cancel my account.

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

We use TurboMailer at work:

http://www.xellsoft.com/TurboMailer.html

--

We use it to send out a monthly newsletter to ~50k recipients. It takes about 2 hours, we use the linux version. It's basically the same thing as having someone send an email from outlook 50k times, it doesn't act as a server. It works with HTML.

$10 for the windows version and $15 for the linux version.

9. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Aside from the software itself we've had our mail server die when hitting it too fast. If you do use TurboMailer or any other software and you're having trouble with crashes make sure you set the "threads" or "threading" to 1 or 2.