GUN knives

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gchang817, Sep 8, 2002.

1. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

i know this is the firearms section of OT, but i was wondering what you guys carry around as just a utility knife? any reccomendations? i need something under 3 inches since i live in new york.

2. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

I personally like kershaw blades, they seem very reliable.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i like my Benchmade Mini-AFCK, the blade is about 3" or 3.5".

Benchmade or Cold Steel knives for me. :big grin:

4. vitamin

vitamin Guest

Spyderco are supposed to be nice and reliable. I dunno myself, wait until I get my hands on one of them.. :big grin:

I carry a 3" Fortuna Outback just in case.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

"seem"? hell, my kershaw avalanche has served me so well over the last 6+ months of cutting boxes, without dulling, i might add, that i'm getting another one at the next gun show. i want an extra in case something ever happens to this one.

granted, this blade is 3 3/4" i think. just under the legal carry limit of 4" here in GA. kershaw definitely has it down with the speed safe opening mechanism. i don't think that it falls under the switchblade laws either, which is great, because it's very close to a self-opening knife. the avalanche is also the only knife i've found that i can have clipped to me at all times and not even feel it. it's a thinline sort of knife, and even conceals in a shoe with moderate comfort for a knife with a 3 3/4" blade. holds an edge like nobody's biznass

6. footratfunkface

benchmade is also another good brand. they have great switchblades, and are very thin like kershaws. if it were legal, i'd carry my Ka-Bar everywhere.

"you call that a knife?"

7. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

8. footratfunkface

i just bought another kershaw, the ken onion designed Blackout, at the gunshow on saturday. i already own another ken onion design, the avalanche. no one else in the business really has the speedsafe mechanism that kershaw does. if you want the speed and ease of an automatic, with the legal-ness of a normal folder, kershaw knives are the way to go. for awesome automatics, benchmade is a great company. i own a gerber ez out, and it's good, but manually opening a knife is for losers. spyderco has since been outdated because their real claim to fame was the one-handed opening ease. since then, everybody and their brother has copied, and improved upon, the design of the spydercos. i'll still argue the reliability and convenience of a kershaw over any other knife until i find one that opens as easily, and holds an edge as long (both at the same time, i know there are some that hold an edge better). i'll have to admit, though, i haven't had the opportunity to own or even really see most of the other knives out on the market, so i can only give you my limited knowledge of what i've got. but, the reason for that is that what i've got has lasted so long that i haven't needed anything else.

9. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

Actually the 'wave' feature on many Emerson knives is faster than any automatic...they open as they are being drawn from your pocket.

10. footratfunkface

i' have heard of that, but i just don't know that i'd want a knife that opened without any sort of choice. i mean, i don't want my knife to open just because i pull it out. what if i'm just handing it to someone? or putting it away?

11. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

well, its more complicated than that....you actually have to rotate the knife a bit as you are drawing it from your pocket for it to open....draw it without a 'twist' and it doesnt open....

12. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Emerson CQC7

13. footratfunkface

ah, i see. well, as i said, i have no experience with most other knives. i'll try to find a place that carries them so i can check them out in person. that may be an option for me in the future.

as far as my kershaws go, i'm still getting used to the blackout's size in comparison to the avalanche, which makes opening it a bit more odd, because the handle is just a hair too wide for me to get a good natural grip on the thumb stud. the grip itself just sort of gets in the way. but, it opens just as fast as, is a bit longer than, and a little lighter than my avalanche. i still want another avalanche. or two.

14. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

definately try one out if you get a chance

15. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

You can carry up to 4 inches in NY.

Not really a "utility" knife, but I carry an Emerson Commander.

16. footratfunkface

i'll be taking my Black Ka-Bar (with kydex sheath), my kershaw avalanche, my kershaw black-out, and my gerber ez-out jr., all of which are partially serrated, on a surival camping trip to the north GA mountains this weekend. it ought to be fun, because there's an ass of a hurricane that's been slinging some rain our way.

17. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

I plan on purchasing an Emerson LaGriffe neck knife soon. I currently carry a Spyderco Native IWB.

18. Buck knives have served me well in my profession

19. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Since its back up here, i tried out one of the Emerson's with the wave hook on it, i like it alot! :cool: You just twist it away as you pull it out and SNAP! :big grin:

20. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

see!!! :p

21. footratfunkface

oh, about my ka-bar, if i hadn't had it on the trip, we wouldn't have had any fire. after a good full day of rain, the entire forest was soaked, so we needed dry wood. well, there were a couple of oak logs that were dry under the bark. these were HARD oak logs, about 3" in diameter. i spent about 2 hours that night with my ka-bar, chopping firewood to make it small enough to burn. but that knife will not break. it'll bend, but there's no breaking that thing. the black coating is gone now though on a good half of the knife.

22. HiXxY

HiXxY blah...

this is my neck knife.... made by Warren Thomas...

HANDLE: Carbon Fiber with nylon wrap
    BLADE MATERIAL: Titanium with a Tungsten Carbide Edge(Zero Magnetic sharp as a razor)
    BLADE SIZE: 2 5/8" (legal to carry concealed just about everywhere)
    TOTAL SIZE: 6 1/4"
    WEIGHT: i forgot but it's super light as you can imagine.
    SHEATH: Black kydex

got it from knifeart.com a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

23. TGizzle

TGizzle Pimpin' the 2K8 OT Supporter

I have a bunch of CRKT knives, I love them.

24. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

I have a Kershaw and love it.

25. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Guest

buck knives are good. i dont know if they make any with that small of a blade. my buck knife is a fixed blade and is sharp as hell