GUN Knives: Combo edge or plain?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ford4Life, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

So, knife crew, when buying a new blade do you prefer a combo edge or just a plain edge?

It seems to me, unless you are buying a fixed blade that is 6+ inches the combo edges would be pretty worthless. On most folders it seems the plain edge would be more pratical, I'm sure they don't appeal to the tatical-cool crowd though.

Thoughts?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I prefer the combo blade as long as the serrated section is 50% or less of the blade (on a folder). I use them both about the same :dunno: I guess it just depends what you plan on using it for. Serrated is going to make it a lot easier to saw through stuff like rope.

3. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

It just seems to me on a folder the serrated portion wouldn't be enough to really work with. Most carry folder blades are 3.5 inches or less, so you have maybe 1-1.5 inchs worth of serrated blade to work with. Seems like it wouldn't be useful.

I'm getting a new Benchmade, trying to decide on plain edge or combo.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2006
  4. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I've had both, for a daily carry, i prefer straight blade, for a work knife i prefer serrated. I find that the serrated edge gets in the way in the day to day use, but for work it obviously has it's uses (rope, canvas bags, rubber hose, etc.)

having a spyderco w/ the complete blade being serrated would drive me nuts. which is why i will probably never buy one

5. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

I carry a combo, and have yet to use the serrated portion. I'm sure I will eventually use it one day though.

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I carry a combo. I figure it won't hurt and could help, so why not?

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Depends on the application. If it's an EDC knife then I would definitely get serrated. You never know when you might have to cut a seat belt to safe someones life or some shit.

:ugh:

8. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

All of my folders are combo edged. My balisongs and fixed blades are plain edge. My current EDC is a combo, but I just ordered an M16-01Z. :coold:

9. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I ended up ordering a Spyderco Endura 4 plain edge, better steel than the Benchmades and it's $20 cheaper. No axis lock, but fuck it.

10. johan

johan Active Member

I find the combo edge more useful for a utility knife. Sometimes the plain edge just doesn't have the cutting performance.

I have a Sog Vision as edc and a few weeks ago I needed to widen a hole through some dry wall to run some fibre cabling. The plain edge wouldn't cut worth a damn, but the serrated blasted through the dry wall like it wasn't even there. Very useful.

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I thought of this thread as I was opening a web cam box (one of those plastic sealed jobs) - the serrated part made opening the box MUCH easier. Glad I carry a combo blade.

12. Clusive

Dammit, got an email this morning saying that they were out of stock of the 01Z and the 03's, so I hopped in the Jeep and drove out to WalMart and picked up a 13Z for $30.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i heart my kershaw ken onion designed leek plain edge.

14. Clusive

Stopped by my gun shop today and they got in a shipment of the new production run CRKT M16's with AutoLAWKS, so I picked up an 01Z EDC plain edge for $35. :wiggle:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]