GUN Knife questions!! HELP

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Valence, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I bought the Kershaw Leek. I loved the sleek look. Third day I had it, starting rusting on the blade and handle. Thought it was stainless, took it back.
    Exchanged it for a Leatherman e305. Had it one day and it started rusting on the blade as well! Haven't left it outside, haven't gotten it wet, don't know what the fuck is going on granted it is humid in this part of texas but I didn't think it would be this fucking bad.

What do I need to do in order to keep it from rusting?

I'm looking to spend ~ 60 bucks for a knife and I'm wondering what would be the better choice. Gander MTN and Academy don't have a selection I like. I don't want any serrated knives.

Also, recommend a great sharpener. I see so many, I ended up getting a five dollar 2 sided sharpener at Gander MTN, carbide and ceramic. It' a cheapo but easily puts a razor sharp edge on the blade.

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Well almost all stainless will rust, it just "stains less" than carbon steel. You just need to put a very light layer of oil or something on the blade. Especially if you're in high humidity. I wipe my blades down with either gun oil, or a silicone rag every week or so and don't have any problems.

3. sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

I'm assuming that these knives are clipped to your pocket? Probably the humidity, but that's pretty bad. I've had a leek for the past year, with no signs of rust at all. Then again, I live in a much cooler, temperate climate, and mine was the black TiNi coated one. I think the coating should provide some additional corrosion resistance.

Anywho, best bet for a knife that absolutely won't rust on you would be a spyderco in H-1 steel. Basically any of the salt series of knives. H-1 can also hold a wicked edge. I've got one, used it for food prep, left it out in the rain, never bothered to clean it or even wipe it down over a weekend camping trip and its held up like a charm. No sign of rust at all.

A big myth in the knife world is that out there somewhere is a knife that seriously cuts but cannot rust. Knives claiming these super powers are usually made with steels that are unable to hold a cutting edge for any measurable amount of time. Finally a steel foundry in Japan called Myodo Foundry makes this myth a reality with the introduction of a new steel called H1. H1 steel is a PH steel, meaning it is a precipitation-hardened steel. "Huh" you ask? Utilizing .1% nitrogen instead of carbon to harden the steel, it reaches a Rockwell hardness of 57-58rc. Spyderco uses H1 on its new C91 Pacific Salt model.

Pacific Salt - ~ 4" inch blade
    Salt ~ 3 inches
    Tasman Salt - hawkbill just under 3"

[​IMG]

All come in PE or SE and in two handle colours, black or yellow, and can found for around 50 - 60 bucks.

As for sharpening, get a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Well worth the price, and its prety much fool proof.

Best place for knives would be http://www.newgraham.com

Great selection and prices.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Spyderco Sharpmaker is a good sharpener, they can be had for under $40.

In the $60 range I'd get a Sypderco Endura 4 or a Benchmade Griptilian. The Endura is under $50, the Grip is $62.50 from Newgraham.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  5. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.