GUN Knife Crew.....................

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by luvitlo94, Dec 10, 2006.

1. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

So I currently carry a Kershaw Blackout, but would like to pick up something a little nicer. I would like it to be under $100, Assisted opening, partially serated drop point, and about the same size as the Blackout. What would my best choice be?

I have been looking at a Benchmade Grptilian, SOG Flash & FlashII, and a couple from Masters of Defense. I am open to other brands as well, but remember, I want something better than the Blackout.

Help me out guys :x:

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

My brother has a Kershaw Avalanche, its alot nicer than my Whirlwind (Better steel, G-10 scales instead of plastic). I might pick up one of the new Leeks in textured G-10/S30V but I dont know yet :hs:

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I have a Flash II, its a really nice knife with an incredible blade and the assisted opening is great but the handle, while lightweight, is kind of thick for my liking which makes carrying it in a pocket not uncomfortable but rather odd. Also the lock to keep it from opening is a nice feature.

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I love how we have knife threads every week or so. As always I recommend BM Griptilians.

5. luvitlo94

I think thats what I will end up going with. What is the difference between the 550 and 551? Just the style of opener? :dunno:

6. 2L Bunny

Ya, 551 has a thumb stud, while the 550's have a hole. It's all preferance.

7. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I don't have any of those, but I really like SOG's lineup and MoG's lineup, especially including the ones you mentioned.

I can't give much advice going on my experience though, because both of my pocket folders are pretty cheap. An Army green Gerber from Wal-Mart (very nice for the price, but dull) and a $10 Smith & Wesson Tactical I picked up at an Auto Zone, of all places. Both pretty cheap and dull, but they get the job done for me.

8. 2L Bunny

A friend of mine has a SOG Flash, not sure which one tho and to be honest it feels kinda cheap. I've handled some higher end SOG's and they were solid tho.

9. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I've got a Flash II and I really like it, but it has the plastic handle and does feel kind of cheap. Hasn't broken yet, but I'd prefer the aluminum handle.

10. Iloveguns

Iloveguns New Member

I have a flash II, and it's a bit small for my hands.

I absolutely love my kershaw blur, it's nice and thin so you can barely feel it in your pocket, assisted open, decent price, comes in a lot of color/blade variations. Definelty reccomend it.

11. luvitlo94

Does the blade hold a good edge for quite a while? It seems that I am always sharpening my Kershaw. :hs:

12. luvitlo94

WTF is different from the Griptilian and the Blackwater (which is made by Benchmade) besides a higher price tag?

..................also, I kinda like the Kershaw Boa. :cool:

13. 7

You can't look at them and atleast see an aesthetic difference? :hsugh: The scales are G-10 and the blade is 154CM vs plastic and 440C on the Griptilian

14. 2L Bunny

Actually all Griptillians for the last 6? months are 154CM steel now. My older 440C Grip holds a nice edge, not as nice as my S30V Ritter, but much better than my CRKT M21.

15. 7

:rly:

fancy

I'd imagine having Blackwater on the blade jacks up the price of that knife a bit too :coolugh: My Whirlwind has a 440A blade, it sucks quite hard. I wish I would have been smarter when I bought it 4 or 5 years ago :hs:

16. luvitlo94

Well yeah, I seen the grip...................but knew that didnt justify the diff. in price.

17. luvitlo94

so, explain to me the difference in blade material. Whats bottom of the barrel, and whats top notch shit? :dunno:

18. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I also carry a BM 551. Those blackouts are garbage.

19. luvitlo94

Eh, I wouldn't say garbage.................but I wouldn't write home about it either. I have been pretty hard on it and it has held up good, besides the blade getting dull quite often.

20. sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

I've got a 550. You can pick them up for about $50+ change. Great knife. Has served me well for a few years now. I have the old 440C version.

If you're willing to splurge a little, I highly suggest the BM 710. g10 handles instead of the zytel on the grip and you get a little more blade and it comes in D2 steel which will hold an edge forever.

21. luvitlo94

I like that knife alot, but the blade is a little bigger than I was looking for. Wanted to stay under 3.5" for the blade.

22. luvitlo94

So I think I have narrowed it down to these 3............

Kershaw BOA $99
    [​IMG]
    Benchmade Griptilian 551 $79
    [​IMG]
    ....or Benchmade Presidio $119
    [​IMG]

...........out of these 3, what do you guys think? The Benchmades have 154CM Blades, and the Kershaw has a S60V blade.

23. luvitlo94

I do like the handles on the Benchmades batter, but which blade material is better, the 154CM or S60V?

24. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

just wanted to chime in and say that my kershaw blackout is a complete and utter peice of shit...

I use it as a work knife, as thats what one would expect the quality from a $50 knife would be able to put up with. Well to open a cardboard box once, i stabbed the box, and slide the knife down the side, where there serations were. Now keep in mind that i'm not a he-man of any nature, and I managed to bend the seration parts back and even broke one off. I took the knife back to walmart because I figured it may have been a bad batch or something. So I took it back, and along came the same task, open a cardboard box. So I did the same thing, and this time even sawed with the serations as I slid it down. Same thing. Serations bent back, and one of them broke off.

I've had it for about 6 months now even with the partially fubar serations it still manages to cut through stuff that only serrations can cut through. However i have noticed that since the razor sharp factory sharpening(and i do mean razor, i could dry shave with the fuckin thing), it has lost its edge and won't keep it for more than about a month. Here recently i lost it because the clip became too weak and it slipped out of my pocket.

I managed to find it about a week later and figured i'd take the clip off and bend it. no problem, came right off, I bent it back to normal, and as i'm instaling the last screw the damn thing snapped off. Cheapest hardware i've ever seen. I'm surprise the pressure from the clip being clipped in my pocked didn't snap the pot metal screws. Crap if you ask me.

Though I do like the assisted spring opening feature, and i play with it alot, i think the materials are simply sub-par for the price. And no, i don't just open cardboard boxes with it anymore, nor will i ever again with a decent knife. That's what utility knives are for.

So, somewhere in this rant is a request for anyone whoever has the boker ak74 auto open... how good are the materials? or for anyone else for that matter, what's a good knife under 50 bucks that has a pretty strong 3" or so blade, clip, and assisted/spring open? or is there such a thing?

25. luvitlo94

That is why I want a better knife, I haven't had any real issues with it, besides not holding a good edge, and my clip is also getting a little loose. I have used it from cutting boxes, to spliting open sugar beats during hunting season, to gutting a rabbit, and it has held up good for me so far. :dunno: