GUN Knife/Blade crew v.Sharpening

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, Dec 28, 2008.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

How do you guys sharpen your knives or blades?

My stuff is dull as hell and I'm using a cheapo sharpening stone, but it doesn't get it razor sharp.

tips?

2. epitaphex

epitaphex New Member

you're probably not using the sharpening stone correctly

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Send it some where

4. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

Sharpening a blade is best left to a professional. Most of the tools that are on the market are to bring the blade back to true. After use, the edge kinda curls over and you bring it back to being straight with a honing steel.

Putting a new edge or multiple beveled edges on a blade is something a pro should do. Depending on how expensive the knife is, or how many you have, you might consider getting them sharpened. If they're all cheap knives, just keep buying new ones and when you've got a lot of them to be sharpened, call the pro and have them all done at the same time. Look in the yellow pages, odds are every major city has a knife sharpener. Some even have vans that bring all their equipment to you.

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

tips on proper stone usage?

6. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i was tempted to copy past and take credit but someone else spent a long ass time on this

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

if your willing to read it all - i dont know how you cant learn to sharpen better

i read that/ someting with very similar content a while back and get everything from machetes to pocket knives almost razor sharp.

your other option is a knife sharpening kit. you may be using the correct procedure and you cant keep your hand steady enough :dunno:

7. Laurel

Laurel New Member

My dad's dad was a knife sharpening nazi and taught all of his sons (they were mormons :mamoru: ) the importance of sharp knives. My dad does an amazing job at sharpening knives, so when he comes over, he brings his kit and redoes mine. Market Garden and I were over for dinner a couple weeks ago and he touched up MG's SOG that was losing it's edge a little, and he gave me a Wustof bread knife that he opened up and "touched up" before giving it to me. He does 2 different angles on the blade, and they hold their edge pretty damn well, but it's not an easy skill to learn and requires patience. I tried to do a knife once and messed it up pretty bad, my dad had to go back and fix it.

Moral of the story - if you're not sure what you're doing, probably pay someone to do it, or get a cheap paring knife or something to practice on.

8. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I use the Lansky kit and have gotten fairly efficient at it. I have the regular ceramic stones in my kit, but I plan on buying the diamond sharpeners to speed up the process. If the knife doesn't need any major material removed/reshapening, it doesn't take too awful long.

BTW, I can shave the hair off my arm quite easily after a sharpening job with this kit.

[​IMG]

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

10. Frazz

Frazz New Member

its not a lansky but my dad has one of those with the dimond sharpeners and i have sharpened boyonets sharp enough to shave hair....

these are what i would recommend if your too lazy to learn how, or too cheap to pay a pro

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

12. Laurel

Laurel New Member