Knee Pain (bone, muscle, tendon?)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ultimate_Ninja, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've worked out, and I hit the gym on Monday and did some light work. I knew I wanted to take it pretty easy since it had been 2+ months since I had been at the gym. I did the following leg-related stuff:

• Ran on a treadmill, no incline, for about 15 minutes at around 7.5mph
    • Squats, 3 sets of 8x95 (again, just trying to get those muscles used to working again; nothing sucks worse than squatting heavy after being away for a while and not being able to walk right)
    • 15-20 minutes of basketball by myself. just shooting, running after the ball, etc. Pretty moderate to heavy lateral action on the knee joint.
    An hour or two after working out, my knee started to get really painful. The worst pain was when I tried walking down stairs. The pain seemed be located in a "U" right below and to the sides of my knee-cap on the front of the knee. I iced it down, took some ibuprofen, and went to bed.

I woke up Tuesday morning and immediately my knee was OK. However, it started getting sore and got progressively worse throughout the day. Again, going down stairs aggravated it the most.

I found out that if I stand on one leg and kind of grab my ankle behind my ass and "stretch" the knee, that it would make the pain go away for a while. It would eventually come back slowly, but I could just stretch it out again.

I went to the gym today, and did some leg presses and a little basketball. I didn't run, and I didn't squat. My knee feels fine now. If I run up stairs real quick I can kinda "feel" something not right in there, but it doesn't hurt.

--

My question is this: based on the information provided, do you think the problem in my knee is something that needs to be looked at ASAP? Is it muscular, is it tendons, is it bone? I ask because I'm hesitant to go to the doctor to have it looked at - although I have insurance, it is shitty and pays nothing towards lab costs like x-rays and bloodwork. I also have a physical at the end of April and was kind of hoping the injury would subside until then at which point I could bring it up with the doc.

Any ideas? Anybody experienced anything like this before?

2. 46&2

46&2 Self ******

I have found (personally) if I over do my left knee for any reason it takes me about a week before the going down stairs pain leaves me. Although mine is a sharp quick stab when the knee takes my weight.

3. hankthecowdog

hankthecowdog > Moderator

i think seeing a dr could be a good idea. but i would try and see an orthapedic dr who specializes in knees as opposed to a normal physician.

also the exercising you are doing are pretty hard on the knee joint. Maybe try to ease back with some exercises that are easier on the joint to build up the muscles before going back to squats and leg presses.

bunch of rehab type exercises here
    http://www.athleticadvisor.com/images/Acrobat/knee rehab.PDF

knee pain sucks :(

4. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

awesome link. thanks.

5. 46&2

46&2 Self ******

Thanks for the link!!

6. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm gonna take it real light on the squats for a few weeks and maybe omit cardio on the days that I do them. I have iffy knees already so I think I just need to work back up to 100%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.