knee and lower back pain during squat/deadlift

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Spartan, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan OT Supporter

the days after i squat or deadlift, i get some knee pain along the inside of my knees and some noticeable lower back pain. this only started recently. i had been squatting and deadlifting the entire summer with pretty much zero pain, esp. in the knees. i've been reading starting strength and watching youtube videos, but besides that i don't know where to look. someone help me

2. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

post vids

3. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

+1

4. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

have you starting doing anything differently?

5. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

video's aren't going to help, this isn't ESPN where we get 15 different angles.

Chances are you'll experience some discomfort if you're increasing the weight or perhaps going more than 3 reps with deadlifting causing your form to change. It could also be insufficient rest between the two exercises. All combined you're going to be putting some strain on those areas of your body.

Oddly enough the weather might have something to do with it as well.

6. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

yeah they would

7. Formz

Videos aren't going to help? WTF?

You need one decent angle. One. Video taping helped me put 15lbs on my deadlift in a DAY because of some form issues that I was unaware of. GTFO.

8. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

That's not odd at all. Our joints are at a vacuum until you get surgery or some work that leaves some air pockets in the area. These pockets, behave like a barometer and like them it compresses and decompresses as the atmospheric pressure changes.

On the positive side, you can tell when it's going to rain or when your car will perform better after awhile.

9. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

wonderful contribution to the thread.

Which was what I was referring to. I know during this time of year I get lower back pain and knee pain as well and over the summer (Like the TS) I get none.

Again, my suggestion would be to 1. get someone qualified at you gym to check your form,make sure no unnecessary pressure is being distributed to your knees and lower back. 2. take some precautions; especially if you're increasing weight. 3. try and get adequate amounts of rest between exercises. 4. aspirin/bayer can also help with the pain...

10. 4cd-Air

I would agree with you here but nobody on this board thinks anybody is qualified except for themselves

11. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Agreed. Along with stretching common tight areas including hips, quads, calves, and ankles.

Also all the exercises that the physical therapist suggests during post surgery theraphy.

12. Formz

You're right. Saying videos don't help is definitely a "wonderful" contribution.

13. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

aahh yes, thank you. I forgot about the basic fundamentals, stretching, proper warm up and stretching afterwards can also help.

as you pointed out, stretching areas that contribute to those exercises is just as important as stretching those areas that are directly targeted by them as well.

A friend of mine was having some lower back issues, and after he was shown proper hip stretches he made a good recovery and rarely has any pain back there now.

14. Formz

15. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

16. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

17. Formz

Oh yea thats right. What a faggot. :rofl:

18. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

dude...let it go please. Dont cause a shit storm, no need to call him a faggot over it. Use a real response or dont waste your time.

And on the same side...pelham...its his opinion as well so dont tell him it wont work when it did for him..

19. Formz

He should have taken the hint and stayed bant.

20. Spartan

Spartan OT Supporter

i do squat stretches before squats, i dont squat and deadlift on the same day. ive been squatting light since i got this knee pain so i haven't really increased any weight there. however, i USED to do hamstring exercises on a machine, and leg press. but now, i just squat on leg day. i have been doing it this way for a few months now. do you think that maybe not training my hamstrings has caused a muscle imbalance slowly over time? I squat to parallel btw. I'll get on making a video the next time im in the gym.

21. Fattiefalldown

Fattiefalldown t(-.-t)

I agree with the above posters that we should see a video. It would be great if you could get two angles: One from the front, and on from the side in which your hip/lower back hurts the most. It seems like you're experienced, but you might have some slight joint tracking side to side in your knee. Do you use a normal overhand grip, or are you using an alternate grip? If you are consistently using alternate grips only working the same side, you could develop an imbalance that would lead to a lower back issue (as your spine can twist slightly.)
    To relieve the back pain, try widening your stance a few inches, and see what that does for your posture.

22. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

recent CSCS is probably about the only cert I would care about if I was going to accept someones advice based on that

23. 4cd-Air

I'm workin on it

24. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

:cool: I'll get one too when I graduate in case i want to do some personal training on the side

25. 4cd-Air

fuck that shit if I can get my CSCS then I am out of personal training and into athletic development...I hate general population training, fat old ladies and wanna-be-thin-but-drink-every-nighters make my job dull and tedious

I am so close to so many colleges right now, I can see my money going to other trainers left and right for sports development

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.