Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Thoughts? I've heard a lot of good things about these speakers, and I was considering picking them up from Newegg. I was also thinking about getting a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, sound like a good combo?

2. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I have 2.1s, and love them. I also have an audigy, and the two work very well together. If you are into serious audio, and have the equpment, you could get an m-audio sound car, but thats only if you have XLR hookups, as well as composite hookups.

but an audigy would work just fine.

i am looking at picking up another 2.1 promedia set to use as my rear speakers...

3. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

ProMedia's are great speakers, I wouldn't buy an Audigy unless you are a gamer and want to take advantage of EAX, I would get a Chaintech AV710 it can be picked up for $25.

4. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I'm not a hard core gamer, I just stick with FPS for the most part. I'm more into the music aspect, I just wanted a nice sounding 2.1 setup sense my shelf system hooked to my computer didn't end up sounding as good as I thought it would. I would assume that it's probably my lack of sound card.

5. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I've heard that the Audigy cards are a pain to deal with, as far as drivers and having a bunch of software running in the background to work properly, any truth to that? Also how do these speakers sound with bass heavy music, anything from rap to techno/dance music, any problems with distortion from the sub or satellite's?

6. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Go with the chaintech or if you want to spend a lot more go with m-audio, if you check on google there are a number of forums/tutorials/websites that talk about the AV710 and the pros/cons and of course what the best drivers/software are to use with it for optimum sound quality :bigthumb:

7. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

The sound blaster line has had and does have a number of problems from bloatware to compatibility problems, however they control EAX so for games they are the best option (although I do know people who actually run two sound cards an audigy for games and something else for general audio.)

Klipsch is going to be one of the best all round speakers but if you want something really bass heavy I would look at something from Logitech.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i wasn't impressed with logitech speakers. The klipsch were okay. I don't think you can beat a good HT setup.

9. arnderson

arnderson New Member

I own the Klipsch 4.1 refurb and they sound just as good as ones from the store.

I also have an audigy sound blaster sound card.

Also there is little distortion at all.

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

i was having frequent bluescreens and it was always the same error code. found several people that were having the same issue that was solved by removing their audigy card (and drivers), so i gave it a try.

it worked. yanked the audigy and all the software and drivers, then installed a turtle beach catalina and haven't had a bluescreen since.

sound quality is great and it also does up to 7.1 surround...

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/catalina/

11. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

if its fore music pick up an emu card if you can afford it. either and emu 0404 or an emu 1212. best sounds quality cards for computers for their price.

12. Buttcheeks

Buttcheeks Guest

:werd: I will never get computer speakers again.