klipsch 2.1's: which kind?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tefnut, Oct 25, 2004.

1. tefnut

tefnut build

Anyone know what the difference between these is? I'm having trouble finding the second pair (non-GMX, older 2.1's), and the new GMX ones look a little tackier and also hiss a little even when not in use. Looks like I'll be getting the GMX's though, am I missing out by not getting the older 2.1's?

Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1 Personal Audio System -RETAIL $132
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=36-119-105&DEPA=0
    [​IMG]

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Personal Speaker System -RETAIL $160
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=36-119-101&DEPA=0
    [​IMG]

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I haven't heard the one's on the bottom pic, but I have heard the top ones, and they sounded amazingly good, I can imagine the other ones sounding just as good, if not better. I'm sure you will be very pleased with whichever set you get.

3. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

I have the older ones :wiggle:

4. 04

04 Guest

I personally hate the way the GMX ones look. However, they didnt sound too bad to me, but I preferred the older model's sound quality over the GMX.

5. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

the gmx's are total crap compared to the thx certified models..

i personally own the 5.1 thx set and they sounded way better than the gmx 5.1 set i heard at compusa...

6. niteshdaga

niteshdaga New Member

I have the ones on the bottom and man do I love my speakers. Hell i turn these up like a quarter of the way and my neighbors get pissed off (man thats one downside to livin in dorms). But seriously if you dont mind spendin the cash on these speakers i can promise you that you will not be dissapointed. If you ever managed to turn these speakers all the way up you would probably end up breaking a few things =-P.

7. niteshdaga

niteshdaga New Member

Oh yea just one more thing...the pic that you have dont do these speakers the justice they deserve.

8. 04

04 Guest

I almost certainly can say that wont happen...

9. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

i second that.

the bass is good but not that good... :rofl:

10. tefnut

tefnut build

Apple delivered them GMXs in 2 damn days. (I was expecting 2-3 weeks.) They're coming in tonight :coold:

11. 04

04 Guest

I never broke anything with my 1803 when I used to have it (about 2x the displacement of a tempest) but could get the houses walls to flex a quarter inch at 15hz. 127.0.0.1 brought his 2.1's to my house, and they werent even all that loud (well for the price they were, but still :o )

12. tefnut

tefnut build

How loud do you guys play these things? They sound great, but the real difference comes in at wake-up-the-neighbors levels, where you can really pick up the details in the music. These Klipsch 2.1's just beg to be turned up louder and louder.

Holy fuck some songs sound so different though :eek3:

13. lgj24

lgj24 OT Supporter

Never heard the new ones (GMX), but I had a set of Klipsch 4.1's for a while. They were definitely excellent speakers, and played loud...sometimes a little too loud. Ended up selling them and keeping a Altec Lansings (ADA885) that came with my computer. Still have em, 4 yrs now....Klipsch were nice, but these Altecs just have a richer, fuller sound than the Klipsch could ever produce. Personally, i think klipsch is better suited for larger home audio needs, and live/concert music styles.