MMA kj noons stripped of the title

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Sep 20, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

- K.J. NOONS STRIPPED OF ELITE XC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Friday, September 19, 2008 - MMAWeekly.com Staff [/FONT]

[​IMG]
    LOS ANGELES (Sept. 19, 2008) – KJ Noons of San Diego has been stripped of his EliteXC lightweight title. The announcement was made Friday by EliteXC Head of Fight Operations, Jeremy Lappen.

The foremost reason EliteXC is taking this action, Lappen said, was due to Noons’ reluctance to defend against leading 160-pound contender Nick Diaz of Stockton, Calif.

“We are stripping KJ of his championship belt for refusing to defend against Diaz,’’ Lappen said. “It’s a very unfortunate situation but we cannot have belt-holders who refuse to fight the top contenders.We want champions who will fight anyone, anytime, anyplace.That’s the mentality all champions should have.

“I feel very bad for KJ because I like him a lot on a personal level and have always thought he could be a big star.He’s charismatic, has a very exciting fighting style and is a top level fighter. So I’m obviously disappointed that he has chosen to take this stance.

“I don’t understand why he would turn down a chance to be a headliner on CBS on Oct. 4. KJ then turned down the fight again when we offered him a headlining spot on our next SHOWTIME date against Nick. From my view, it is a fight against a top-named opponent in Diaz (someone who beat the No. 1 fighter in the world in his weight class), a fighter KJ has bad blood with and a fight the fans really wanted to see. It seemed like a great opportunity for KJ to me.

“Personally, I do not think it was a smart career move, but I’m sure he sees it differently. KJ has two more fights remaining on his contract, so we are still looking forward to having him fight for us again soon, but not as our world champion.’’

EliteXC will announce a fight for the vacant lightweight title in the near future, Lappen said.

addthis_pub = 'mmaweekly';

2. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

IMO if KJ wanted to make more money he should have finished off his contract. I can understand where he is coming from but until he beat nick diaz he was a relative unknown. I dont think it was smart on his fight to try and pull a randy couture when he doesnt have that kind of pull. His main beef was that they werent promoting his boxing career and he wasnt being payed what he wanted.

To be honest I think both Elite XC and Noons dropped the ball on this one. Elite XC should have renegotiated his contract in some way and give him a win bonus or something to shut him up and held their end of the bargain with the boxing fights. KJ should stop ducking nick as well.

3. Searcher

Searcher New Member

it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about this.....

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I think this is more of an attempt from elite xc to finally get nick diaz his damn title. They like to say that they respect and like noons but really for elite xc he is probably a thorn in their sides.

5. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

I hope he ends up smashing on his next opponent.

6. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Should stop being a pussy and just fight Nick Diaz again.

7. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Good, they should have stripped it a lot sooner IMO.

If you are the champ and refuse to fight who they put in front of you then you don't deserve to be considered the champ anymore.

Diaz vs Alvarez for the vacant title??? :noes:

8. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

GOD DAMMIT MY CHICKEN NUGGETS ARE COLD!!!! I DEMAND YOU GO FIGHT THE 13 YEAR OLD BEHIND THE COUNTER RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, OR WE'RE TAKING YOUR BELT! THAT'S WHAT CHAMPIONS DO!

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Alvarez deserves a belt

10. alkalinesolo

Agreed. I wonder if he'll get the chance to earn the DREAM and EliteXC belts at the same time.

11. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

im the biggest nick diaz nut hugger.. but this whole situation is stupid.. im actually down with kj on this.. elite is a joke.. $kala is a joke..

12. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I like how shooto runs their titles.

Rule is you HAVE TO fight the #1 contender for the title at least once a year.

You can have more than one title fight against #2 #3 etc....

you can even fight the #1 contender in a nontitle fight but 1 year from when you got the belt you MUST fuck the #1 contender.

This happened with Masanori Sud. He was supposed to fight Dustin Denes for a long time as the #1 contender and kept refusing for the entire year. Finally they told him he would be stripped and he took the fight. Suda should have lost but it was ruled a draw.

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I like how spirit runs things, they just have denis kang own every one

14. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Totally agree, Nick Diaz is like their only high profile/proven fighter and he's not even champion cuz he lost via cut. Although he was really just getting plain whipped.

15. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

:ugh:

16. teep

teep New Member

so i don't really follow elite xc at all. the deal was that noons didn't want to fight cause he wanted more money so they cut him?

17. Kenny Dalglish

according to noons he said that in exchange for putting him on cbs primetime they wanted him to extend his current deal which he signed when he wasnt the champion to some ridiculous number of fights with no pay increase.. and he signed a boxing/mma deal but they haven't done anything for his boxing except one fight.. if this is the case i dont blame noons.. fighters gotta make money.. even though i dont like noons he should be able to get more money if he's the champ or goes on a good streak..

18. .Tim

.Tim New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I saw that and had the same reaction.

19. CallSecurityNow

CallSecurityNow OT Supporter

This is nothing more than EliteXC continuing to show what a joke of an organization it is.

20. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

He just didn't want any of Diaz again.

21. Kenny Dalglish

:ugh:

you mean owning him again? i love diaz and the guy ALWAYS has a chance but he got owned the first time

22. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

No, they want Diaz to win the title, so they will put him up against some C level guy. That really says alot for your org, your title fight is a B level guy vs a C level guy

23. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

eleiteXC is such a joke

24. alkalinesolo

And he would have been able to if he kept his stupid mouth shut and kept winning fights.

But he fucked that all up by refusing to fight who they want him to, now he'll get less exposure and much less leverage while signing his next contract.

25. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

No, he will probably be able to sign a pretty decent contract with someone else