MMA Kiwi MMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by whup, Oct 29, 2007.

1. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

http://www.scoop.co.nz/multimedia/tv/2669.html

"Carnage in the Cage"

My friend back in NZ told me about this, he was channel surfing and stumbled across it on Sky Sports.

Corny name, and I prefer the ring over the cage, but looks like a good start for a professional event in NZ.

I'm not sure about the rules; knees to downed opponents were allowed for sure, and there's also a suggestion that stomps may be allowed too.

Jeff Monson came down and commentated. I'm not sure if they'll get some marquee names for future fights, but if Monson is involved I wouldn't rule him out.

Apparently the quality of fights was reasonably high, with some good jj on show. Kind of suprising because there aren't a lot of bjj/mma places around in NZ.

The guy from the main event is the reigning strongest man in NZ and is a fucking massive dude, and probably wouldn't look out of place in a Pride freakshow match (think James Thompson except bigger).

I haven't seen any video of this unfortunately and just got this second-hand from my mate :( But I'd love for MMA to be more mainstream or at least have local shows for me to go to when I go back home.

2. whup

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Aus and NZ have some good fighters in K1 kickboxing and a fair pedigree in boxing too Ill digup some event footage from here locally. Its quite good considering.

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

does the winner get to eat the loser?

5. whup

Yeah kickboxing has a small but loyal following here, and they overachieve, with guys like Hunt, Sefo, recently Viney. I still love K-1 (I used to watch K-1 more than I watched MMA before Hunt made the switch).

Sefo would have been a beast in MMA if he'd made the move a long time ago, imo.

I think Polynesian New Zealanders in particular have the genetics to have a massive impact on the sport. Very very explosive.

6. whup

Yes. As you can see in the photo where De Jong is wearing the belt, in the background is his opponent. He's actually wearing a necklace of assorted herbs and spices that he's marinating in, ready to be bbq'ed later to be dined on by the victors.

7. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Haka before fights? :x::x:

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:rofl:

so do you live in NZ or UK?

9. whup

I'm in the UK atm, been here for 6 months, previously lived my whole life in NZ apart from travel. Kiwi through and through!

10. whup

:bowdown: :x:

11. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Cage>ring for MMA.

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

man i wish i had commonwealth status

13. whup

It's not quite as good for me though, I can only work for a year on this visa. But my work might sponsor me so that I can work for longer than this. :x:

I'm jealous of my friends who have ancestry visas and can work here as long as they like. The pound is so damn strong. I get paid in pounds what I did in NZ dollars, meanwhile the pound buys 3 NZ dollars. Everything here is comparatively expensive though.

I'm here to travel though, but now I'm all stuck working too hard and not enough play. I don't even have enough time to go and train at London Shootfighters like I really wanted to. I could make time, but then that time could be used for work or doing some travel / fun. :-/