MMA King Mo interview

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.punchdrunkgamer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=376:king-mo-feb09&catid=30:interviews&Itemid=72

[​IMG]

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal - Sengoku VII[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]By Justin Bolduc[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PunchDrunkGamer's Justin Bolduc sat down with rising prospect Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal to talk about his upcoming fight against King of Pancrase Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku Seventh Battle, as well as his background, his training partners, and his career. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: You're exploding into MMA right now with big wins over Travis Wiuff and Fabio Silva, and you just picked up your third win. For those that aren't familiar with you, can you tell us about your background? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: Yeah, man. I started wrestling when I was about sixteen. I picked it up fairly fast, my second year I was state runner-up, and my senior year I won the state championship. Then I went to Central Oklahoma, which is a deep Division II school in Edmond, Oklahoma, and I wrestled there for three years. My sophomore year I took second in nationals and my junior year I won it. My last year I transferred to Oklahoma State – the powerhouse, and I was third there and an all-American. I won university nationals in freestyle, third at nationals, and I won a few national freestyle titles. I've done so much in wrestling, I've done so many tournaments and competed with some Olympic wrestlers. The level I was at was so much higher than the NCAA. The NCAA is high school compared to the level that some of us are at, like me, Ben Askren....at that level it is way above the NCAA level. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: I know last year you tried out for the Olympic team but didn't make it. Is that something you'd like to pursue again in the future? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: Yeah, I'm open to that. I'm going to keep on wrestling. I wrestle as a hobby now though, because I love fighting so much more. We'll see what happens. I'm just going to take it one year at a time and go compete. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: You have another tough fight coming up against King of Pancrase, Ryo Kawamura; what are your thoughts on your opponent and what are you doing to get ready for him? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: I've been training for him since I first started – I prepare for everybody. This is going to be the King of Pancrase versus King Mo, so its going to be great. I've defeated someone that he lost to in a close fight – Fabio Silva, but styles make fights. He's a tough opponent, but I'm just going to go out there and do what I can do. I'm prepare to go out there and go three hard rounds, or to knock him out. I'm prepared to weather any storm or take anything he can give me, then give it right back to him. I'm prepared for any situation. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: What is the experience like for you fighting in Japan? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: I love fighting in Japan. It gets no better than that. [Fighting in Japan] was my dream. I dreamed that I would start fighting in Japan because I saw the big crowds and I like the entrances and the show they put on. That was my thing, when I saw that I was like “I want to be there doing that.” I like when people do it big. [/FONT]

[​IMG]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: I've heard that you've trained with Team Quest; what has that been like? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: In reality I don't train with Team Quest. I'm friends with those guys, but I don't train with them at all. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: Who have you been training with? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: I train all over the place. I train with [Renato “Babalu” Sobral], Benji Radach, Dean Lister, [Jason “Mayhem” Miller] – it is everywhere. I'm a gym-hopper. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: What are some things you want to accomplish this year in MMA? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: Honestly, my goal is to beat all people – all wins and no losses. I want to go out there and put on a great show for the crowd and fight hard. Just go out there and have fun. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: Do you want to fight at all here in America? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: When that time comes yeah, but I'm happy in Japan. When the time comes I'll fight in America – I'll fight anywhere, but I'm happy in Japan. They treat me very well. I'm open to fight anyone, anywhere. People say I have been doing so well, but really you have to start somewhere. I felt good against Travis Wiuff. I wasn't scared and I felt like I was [competing in MMA] for years. With Fabio Silva, I felt great fighting him. And [Yukiya Naito] it was the same thing. You fight everyday. You fight to wake up, you fight to go to work – but a fight I just think is fun. It is a great job so I have nothing to worry about. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: What is the weight cutting process like for you, I assume with your wrestling background it is pretty easy for you? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: Yeah, its real easy. The thing is I don't cut that much weight right now. I only cut a few pounds to make 205. 185 is an option, 205 is an option, heavyweight is an option....I don't want to limit myself to one weight class. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: What is your contract situation like right now with World Victory Road? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: I think I have one or two more fights left on contract. After that I'll resign with them, or go somewhere else. Ask my manager Ryan Parsons, that's his thing. I just train to fight. I don't know anything about the business side of things. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: In your three fights we've seen you pound people out. How do you feel as far as submissions go? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: Honestly I'm still learning, but my submission defense is top-of-the-line. I have guys from Brazil like [Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira] and [Antonio Rogerio Nogueira]. I train with David Avila, Alberto Crane, Dean Lister, “Mayhem” Miller, “Babalu” - I train with a lot of the top jiu-jitsu guys. I'm learning and I have an idea of how submissions can work for me, but I'm still getting my feet wet. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: What are some things you like to do outside of training and fighting? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: I love going to eat sushi and going to the beach. I like watching TV and movies. I have people like Gabe Ruediger – that guy is my boy. I have a few boys that I like to just hang out with. I like being around people and just relaxing. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: Can you walk us through what fight day is like for you from when you wake up in the morning up until you finally step into the ring? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: I wake up and jump in the shower then go get something to eat. I'm feeling great, I'm like “its game time.” I feel like I'm ready to go to a football game. I dress up real nice for when I'm going to the venue. I treat it like a normal day like when I go to the club, except when I get to the club I get in my battle gear. I warm-up and after that it is game time. I warm-up and get set up [for the entrance]. I tell the girls I want them doing this and that and being sexy, and after all that I do my walk. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]PDG: To wrap things up are there any sponsors you want to mention or any final words you want to say? [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,geneva]King Mo: I want to just say what's up to Cage Fighter, Light Force Nutrition, GDP, Kami, Kenny Florian and all those guys in the north-east, the Nogueira's and the people in Brazil that I'm cool with. That's what's up. [/FONT]

his wrestling credentials are :eek4: considering he started wrestling at 16, and who he chooses to train with is :eek3: as well

2. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

He was 1 match away from qualifying for the olympics

3. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

:rofl: at telling his train of womenz to be sexy :rofl:

4. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

is his shoutout to Gabe Ruediger a joke

5. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

No. Gabe's a cool mother fucker. Everyone in MMA loves him - it's the TUF noobs that hate.

6. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

"Put me back in there B, put me back in there"

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

the laundry list of people who love that guy is crazy.