Kind of want to buy a BMW

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by opulence, Apr 17, 2006.

1. opulence

opulence Guest

I don't know much about cars... I do know how to drive stick and would prefer getting something with a manual trans. If you are a disgruntled car forum snob virgin, please fuck off.

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1176427&adid=4981705

It's a 2000 M5 w/ 170km on it.

I think the km's might be too high for it to be worth it but I'm not sure. I'd love to get a car like this even if it's too much for me to handle.

Also, the business I run requires me to be able to present myself pretty classy w/ something like this.

2. lathrash

lathrash New Member

the M5 is an awesome car. that is pretty high miles (~105,000 miles). it also does not have the M5 wheels on it so who knows what has happened to it. those engines are very fine tuned machines so maintenance will probably be quite pricey.

if i were to get one i would look for one from a private party and with fewer miles. find someone who has taken meticulous care of it (most owners do) and has all the past records. these e39 M5's have just started to drop into the $30k mark here in CA.

3. opulence

opulence Guest

I see... the fact that it doesn't have the M5 rims on it is strange and makes me wonder what happened to it as well. I'm probably going to call anyway but I'll take that into consideration.

4. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

the fact that it doesn't have m5 wheels on it is discomforting.

it could have been in an accident....and they didn't replace the stock wheels

i'd ask the seller WHY it has the wheels from a 7 series on it...

as far as driving a stick don't sweat it too much...

maybe just want to learn the basics.....and the rest you'll get used to after a few weeks....

5. opulence

opulence Guest

I DO know how to drive stick, not don't :)

Fuck.. this is fucked up... I'm making a LOT of disposable income every week right now, and I can put 10k down, so I can basically get whatever I want, but the only problem is what I am making right now could shut down on me at any time and then I'd be screwed!

But! I need a nice car either way, so I don't know if I should really get something I really want, like an m5 / m3 , or get something cheaper :(

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Nice car... I have a 2000 M5 (owned since new) with ~63k miles on it that has been near-perfect. 105k miles is a bit more than I'd be comfortable with considering you don't know its full history. If driven hard, they can have various issues (primarily, oil consumption). Also, I agree with the others regarding the wheels... doesn't really make much sense.

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Sounds like you shouldn't be owning such expensive vehicle :dunno:

8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah, keep in mind that any sort of maintenance is going to be VERY expensive... especially at a dealer.

9. opulence

opulence Guest

Yeah I know.. fuck.. I kind of need it though for my job and if things continue to go well I can easily afford it but right now it's kind of a gamble :wtc:

Let's say that the car does have problems due to the high KMs, if I bring it to the shop my uncle goes to (he's had a bmw for a long time) would they likely be able to tell what kind of condition the car is in and if it's worth it? Or would it be up in the air?

10. ChosenGSR

I hardly doubt you need an M5 for you job. You could get a nice 540i/6 for around 17k with half the miles.

11. opulence

opulence Guest

645Ci for 17k?!?!??!!??#@#131?#!?#! I wish

Where?!?!

12. johan

johan Active Member

My opinion is that if your business requires you to present yourself in something classy then you should think about leasing a brand-new vehicle and write off the lease against your business.

Whatever image you present is up to you, but a high-mileage, older vintage BMW might not be as presentable as a well polished 2006.

And maybe you might want to look at an X5 or something in an S class.

If you want sporty, maybe find an older M3 you can mod the hell out of and bomb around in that, and keep a new, slightly conservative "show" car for business.

Fun is fun, business is business. IMO better to keep those two separate. But whatever works for you. I don't know what business you run, or the specific image you want to maintain.

13. lathrash

lathrash New Member

if you like the M5 but want something that won't cost as much for repairs, look into a 540i with the 6 speed (as mentioned earlier) with fewer miles. still a classy car and it will cost a lot less. unless you've owned a fast car before, i think it should be quick enough.

14. opulence

opulence Guest

Yeah I was getting a little ahead of myself wanting to get an M5.

An M3 or 540 is probably the best way to go. I'd like to stick to a 5 series because of the space as well, I have a Prelude and the interior is way too damned small. I'm not really a fan of SUVs for the X5 or anything

Basically I'm in the adult industry and part of what I have to do is recruit new girls and now that I've finally gotten a bit of a break, I want to move into a nice place, and get a nice car, which I feel will make it much more easier for me to recruit girls and show them that there's a lot of money involved. :hs:

15. ChosenGSR

What plannet are you from? I said 540i/6.

16. opulence

opulence Guest

17. johan

johan Active Member

Ok if that's the industry you're in, then scratch the "slightly conservative" that's for realtors and doctors.

I agree that a pimped M3 or M5 is the way to go. Girls don't know cars (usually) so a brand new shiny car will probably catch their eye more than an 5 year old M5 that's looking a bit tired.

One of those convertible Jags might be good too.

18. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

19. opulence

opulence Guest

So tempting... but it's not really practical. Probably has a really small interior like a Prelude. I might consider it though and go check it out. :noes:

20. ChosenGSR

Check BMW boards, I've seen 540s go for under 20.

21. opulence

opulence Guest

Can you refer me to some good ones?

22. ChosenGSR

bimmerforums.com for staraters.

23. opulence

opulence Guest

Cool, thanks

24. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I used to hit the forums at http://www.bmwm5.com/ when I was getting ready to buy my M5. I don't know if they are still up or not.

25. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah the VANOS issues were pretty common with earlier M5s... luckily mine didn't have any issues with that (yet).