GUN Kimbers Slide/frame fit. Straight from their site.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Oct 30, 2007.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I really want a Eclipse Custom II in 10mm but after seeing this pic (taken directly from their site), I'm kind of hesitant.

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

It's a fucking picture.

And what do you expect from a production gun?

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I have a buddy that has a Kimber, and he really likes it. Fit/finish seems fine.
    With that said, I probably wouldn't get one... or at least its not first on my list.

4. AustinL911

A little less than a 1/4" gap? :ugh:

[​IMG]

^Production Gun^ :fawk:

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

My Springield is between that Kimber and that Dan Wesson. much closer to the Dan Wesson though.

6. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Again, it's a fucking picture.

Ive seen ed browns have that kind of gap before too.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

jesus my Springfield milspec looked better than that.

8. Slick26

I'd much rather have a Springfield than a Kimber. Unless its a Kimber Raptor or Warrior :bigthumb:.
    In fact, I've even come across a few S&W 1911's I really liked. Not sure if i'd buy one though.

9. AustinL911

In all actuality, I'll probably still buy one. They're too hot to ignore.

I just thought it kind of odd for them to post a pic with what looks like a huge gap, especially considering how important slide/frame fit seems to be for 1911 owners.

10. Furner

Furner New Member

who gives a fuck about features and fancy finishing if it is put together like shit?

11. Slick26

You should see the gap on the M&Ps. Completely different kind of gun though. But they still run fine.

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I fail to see the point of the "it's a fucking picture argument."

its not a cartoon or an artist's rendering its a highly accurate visual reproduction of an actual firearm, in the case of the company photograph possibly edited to look better. One with seemingly poor fit and one with decent fit.

They are just a picture of a single firearm and not one that someone would (likely) be purchasing so they may not be indicative of quality. That has nothing to do with it being a picture though.

13. Furner

Furner New Member

jesus buttfucking christ

looks like they fit that slide with a wood-file

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

I hold no brand loyalty to any gun. I love guns period. With that said, you are correct, they are a totally different gun all together. Cheap (albeit $500) plastic guns like M&P's, Glocks and XD's should not be considered when discussing "fit and finish".

They are what they are, a reliable, mass produced plastic gun that's primary function, is high mileage, low maintenance, that appeals to "the masses".

1911's are specifically designated, for whom I consider the "afficianado" gun owner that holds in high regard quality, fit and finish in their firearm. So it's only right, that they are held to a higher standard.

M&P's, Glocks and XD's are the "AK's" of the pistol world. Not pretty, cheap, rough, simple design with loose tolerances and goes bang when it needs too, which is it's only saving grace.

15. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I agree with your description of a 1911 and who buys it if you consider only the variety of 1911s that are being discussed here, but that is not all 1911s. There are 350 dollar RIA 1911s and the Springfield carried by the USMC. A 1911 has something like 10-15 more parts than a glock and is also pretty simply designed. You can buy a 1911 for almost any purpose and price you want. I know a guy with a S&W 1911 that the slide binds and sticks if you feed it dirty ammo like WWB, while my RIA will eat WWB and wolf all day without a problem (besides cleaning) or the Government issue 1911 wasn't meant to be a precision pistol, it was meant to get the job done whatever the job may be.

Like a hammer a 1911 is a tool and you can buy everything from a framing hammer to a tack hammer.

In reference to the caliber of 1911 in this thread you are right that they are a tighter tolerance and fit and finish than a weapon that 100% reliability under less than idea circumstances would be built to, which makes them great for what they were bought for.