Killing myself, need help

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Dominion, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

A little bit of story, I've always been chunky, but healthy. I ate what I wanted and when I wanted, and I payed. As soon as I hit highschool I got fatter, college even bigger. Now I look back and Ive fucked up majorly. Yes I have known this, be it fear, lazyness, whatever I have never tried to fix it. Right now I'm 21 years old, 6foot 1inch tall and weight a bit under 360. Thankfully I've been blessed with good health but I know thats not going to last. As of right now I have no joint pain, I can actually go up several flights of stairs without dying, and I have normal BP/Heart/cholesterol, etc.

Anyways Ive taken some steps recently for the good, Ive cut out fast food completely, sodas, junk foods, processed foods, etc. But I need to take it a step further and thats where I'm asking for some help from the OT Fitness community. Im a college student and cant afford nor does my school offer any service to help me figure out what a good plan is.

I feel personally I'm on a good diet, it may not be perfectly refined yet but it's a hell of alot better than before, and again I'm kinda limited from the college budget. (fresh foods are much more expensive for me than easier cheaper canned and processed alternatives)

As far as diet goes right now I'm focusing on about 5-6 meals per day, snacks between each meal (not junk food snacks). Purchased a couple water filters to cut back on costs of bottled water, drink tea and natural non processed fruit drinks. There is a juice company I like that makes their juices from non-concentrate and sweetens with similar juices (nearly the equivlent of just making it myself). I tend not to have time in the mornings to fix a big breakfest or to be able to cook as classes are pretty early in the mornings and I usually dont get to bed late (midnight or so).

Exercise, whats that. Ive never exercised more than 3 weeks in a row in my life. As well that changes, my issue here is I am finding trouble finding something geared towards a person like me. I see bodybuilder routines, cardio routines, some people argue muscle over cardio and vice versa, I see cutting, mass building etc routines. I have yet to find the 'fatass looking to fix 21years of fuck up' routine. So far Im thinking a mixture, Im in decent enough shape to be able to do some basic cardio (walk/jog/bike) and finish off with weights, right now I have a perfect block of 2.5 hours free time between classes and what I was thinking was:
    Hour of exercise
    30 minutes in the pool
    30 minutes to clean up
    30 minutes to get to class.

How to fill that hour though I have yet to figure out.

This is getting kinda long so I'll cut it here. Basically I'm looking for some kind of professional or 'I do this frequently and know what the fuck I'm talking about' kind of advice. Am I on the right path? What kind of exercising should I be doing? Should I just build on the basic routine from here http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?threadid=593679 and add some cardio? And please, I know Im a fatass, I know I'm on a fast track to the grave, these things I already know, I really want to fix myself right now.

Edit: as far as goals go, I want to get to 200 at the very min. Less if I can, 180 maybe. Im going back to Germany this fall and I dont want the same stares I recieved last time I was there. That and I'm getting married, the thought of having children in the future and them living like me or me dieing kills me.

I'll try not to be so damn emo anymore :)

2. lif

lif New Member

You are not on the right path as of right now. I can give you the following advice on what you should do.

ANY Routine will help, the one you highlighted will be fine. It'll make you bust ass and thats what you need. Yes add cardio in 3 days a week to begin, and ramp that up to 5 days a week when you feel comfortable.

As for diet goes... you're gonna have to make substitutions and sacrifices. I have gone from 190 lbs - 160 lbs in a matter of 3 months, it is possible, but you have to stay committed.

See those snacks you were talking about? Don't eat those.
    See that juice (non-sweetened or what not), doesn't matter, don't drink it.

The only drink you should be having is water. For someone in your position any drink with calories in it is going to be carb-filled and quick to over-drink. Hell, 4 glasses of a juice is probably close to 500 calories and thats almost ALL carbs. Very bad.

You MUST EAT BREAKFAST. It starts your metabolism for the WHOLE DAY which will burn fat in itself. You MUST make time for it, even if that means making it the night before and eating it on the way to class, EAT IT.

You may want to start using something like www.fitday.com to start tracking your calories. Begin with eating only 2500 calories a day and you will see the pounds melt off week after week, at your weight, if you weightlift 3-4 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times a week, I would expect 1 - 2.5 lbs per week of mainly fat to pour off of your body.

It is possible, but you have to stay committed. I hope this helped.

3. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

pretty much exactly what i was about to type... it's also beneficial to start a training log (in the training log section, of course), because there you can get advice from other people who read your log, even if you don't know exactly what to ask

good luck

4. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

Alright, as far as making the substitutions and sacrafices what do you recommend for a budget concious person. Meats are fine, I can obtain good meats, but when it comes to veggies and such I don't quite understand where I should be going with canned vs. fresh vs. cheap. Farmers markets when back in season would be great but again this is coming from someone who has never successfully ate healthy. Water was a huge part of my life a few months ago in Germany, besides when we went out thats all I drank. But I was constantly eating bad there, almost as bad as home.

As far as a diet goes, my thoughts are I need to ease into it. Ive cut out sodas and fast food, now is to work on the rest. (for the record Ive not had a single bite of fast food in almost a year, not even a little nibble of someones fries or hamburger)

Right now Im thinking mwf to get into the swing of things. when I get comfortable I can do m-f easily, although t-th days will be a couple hours later in the day than mwf.

Juices are gone, I went ahead and sent those off with a friend as well as some other junk/sugary foods.

What are thoughts on a modified fad diet, not atkins but some of the similar ones. Or should I just focus on eating balanced and keep my calories under control. I have gotten ahold of fitday and am in the process of setting it up and learning the various stuff.

I thought about posting a before pick but figured that would make it into a chop thread real quick in the main forums. But Id definatly like to come back when I have an after pic :)

5. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

post a before pic in your training log... nobody's going to take it and chop it to pieces in the main forum, i can almost guarantee that

and don't worry about fad diets... just keep your calories in check and keep tabs on your macronutrient ratios (fitday)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.