GUN kids around now v.secure gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Nov 3, 2006.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

So my new roommate has a 3 year old half the month, I just went to take a poo and smoke a cigarette on the balcony, so I took my gun off my person, set it on the bar/counter (about four feet high) and he says "hey can you start keeping your guns in your room and unload them or something? It just worries me my son will get a hold of one"

Now I'm all about a kid not getting a hold of any gun, but at the same time this kid is spoiled as shit and not disciplined at all, so what's next he wants me to leave my gun locked all the time? I think I'm gonna tell him if he won't discipline his son, that's fine but on this issue if he doesn't, I will. I grew up in a home with guns, and they were never locked. I was to young to know if they were loaded, but I also never touched them to find out, because I new what would happen if I did, and I'm a firm believer that a solid teaching is stronger than any lock, locks can be gotten around (obviously not by a three year old) but knowledge is in their head that they know the repercussions of touching a gun.

I dunno, what's WMD's opinion?

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'd talk to the guy about it first, trying to discipline his kid doesn't seem like it would go over too well. Also, at least here in Florida, it's against the law to store the gun where a minor has easy access to it.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Discipline doesn't sound like it's your boys strong suit. Tell him what you told us. Take the kid shooting next couple of years. It will be scary as fuck the first time, and believe me, you won't need to reinforce that experience. That and firm discipline turns out someone like you...

4. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I'm gonna talk to him about it, but I know it won't go over well, based on past conversations he says "it's easier to give the kid what he wants than listen to him yell and scream cause you said "no""

What's easily accessible though? on a counter that is twice the kids height, for 10 minutes tops? 90% of the time the gun is either on me, or within arms distance. And my rifles stay locked 24/7 except the shotty which I unlock at night.

Meh...maybe I shouldn't be bugged, but the whole thing is just annoying I felt like saying "Discipline your son first, then we'll talk" or maybe it's just that his kid has a thing for punching people in the dick :rofl:

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Time to move ;) You're not the parent, i wouldn't even risk it.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

My opinion with guns and kids is that the gun should be on you or in your sight at all times when it is loaded.

I have a friend with a CWP and a 2 year old and a newborn I can ask him what he does with his gun when it is not on him.

As with everything dealing with guns, it is better to be safe than sorry, be it having a gun on you and never needing to use it, or excessive training, verifying that a gun is in fact unloaded or keep it safely it your possession and control.

7. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Id say if the kid was a little older, you and your roomate educate him in gun safety a bit. Then lock up the gun whenever not on your person regardless.
    Either that or if you have a really tall dresser or a bookshelf to keep it there where he cant get at it.

8. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

lol, contemplated it, but we just signed a year lease for a house I move into in a week and half

9. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Its not worth the liability or risk if the kid accidently gets a hold of the gun and something bad happens.
    Why do you carry a gun with you when you are just hanging out around the house?

10. Dr. Magic

Dr. Magic Active Member

If the kid is that spoiled he's probably a momma's boy. Bring him to the range once and show him how scary guns can be, don't traumatize him though lol.

With any luck the mom will get wind of this and take away all your roommate's visitation rights and you'll never see the little shit again. :bigthumb:

11. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Why the hell did you room with a guy with a kid?! :rofl:

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

time to do the watermelon presentation :run:

13. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

my father was the first to put a gun in my hand... i was curious about guns before that point, but after the curiousity went away... and respect took it's place.

14. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

umm, this is all horrible advice

when i was first taken to the gun range, i wasn't "shown how scary guns can be" because the range is a safe environment, i was shown how awesome guns can be...and it made me wish all of the guns weren't locked up all the time

15. Furner

Furner New Member

for reals. get out now.

16. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Old friend, wife just left him and he needed a roommate. And my old roommate was a hooters waitress (21 year old that acted like a 3 year old)

17. BigBadJohn

Why did you let her go? :eek3:

18. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

Spend a few bucks on one of the quick access safes and put your gun in there when you are not wearing it. You may not be able to impress upon that child, especially one with a parent who says that shit (Seriously, WTF type of parenting is that, he is setting himself up for some serious shit later down the road) the serious nature of a loaded handgun.

I would also try to get him to sit down with the kid (and you) to show him what it is and tell him it is yours and he is not supposed to even touch it. If he sees it somewhere that he can get to it he should come and tell an adult right away. Even though the kid may not listen it is worth a shot.

But for your sake and since the firearm is yours, you should get a safe and cover your ass.

19. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

It's not all it's cracked up to be, I thought it'd be great too, but hooters girls are really fucking annoying when you're sober and they are ALL to big of whores for my taste. There were the good moments of living with her though :wiggle:

Yea, I think I've decided to buy a lock for my door that I'll keep locked, even if I'm in there. I'm also going to order a stack on or cabella gun safe for the rifles :hs:

20. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

that's the bottom line. move out

21. BigBadJohn

Deadbolt ftw