SRS Kids are wasted on people who don't deserve them

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlassUser, Apr 10, 2006.

1. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

My friend was just telling me about a girl she knows. She's pregnant with her fourth child. Her MO is to dump the kid with baby-daddy and move on. One of them wasn't her choice, CPS wouldn't let her have custody because she was on drugs.

I want kids. But I want to find a decent woman and get married first.

Of course, when a single guy in his late twenties wants to hang out with kids, people think he's a psycho child molester. Ain't that just peachy for me?

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You have to admit that it's a little 'odd' in today's society for a single guy in his late twenties to want to hang out with kids. What exactly do you mean hang out? No offense, but I probably wouldn't be comfortable with that with my child.:o
    That being said, it is very sad that so many children have unloving parents who never wanted them. It's sad that some women (and men) cannot learn to use birth control instead of popping out unwanted child after unwanted child.:hs:
    You'll find the right person someday and have the family you dream about. :)

3. Devilish

Devilish Remind me AGAIN

It amazes you sometimes how it works, doesn't it?

Society is getting paranoid and sad :(

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Paranoid or overprotective?

5. GlassUser

Well I'm looking at teaching. It will probably be jr high and high school, but the kind of stuff I can teach doesn't really apply to elementary school level stuff (we're talking like typing, computers, algebra and calc tutoring, etc).

I guess I want to do the same kind of stuff I got to do with my nephew (two years old) and little sister and brother (twelve and ten) yesterday. Take the older ones to soccer, watch the baby, throw a ball around, the same kind of stuff parents do with their kids.

But yeah, I can see how it would be reasonable for you to be wary of letting some stranger play with your kids.

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You have young siblings too. I have a 5 year old and 12 year old sisters. :)
    I can understand wanting to spend time with your nephew and siblings. I guess I was reading more into your post than what was there :o
    Plus if you want to be a teacher, liking children is a VERY important part. Good luck with that!

7. GlassUser

Um, yeah, this definitely isn't some sicko thing. Shame on you. I like hanging out with kids in general. But what I really want are some of my own.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:mamoru: You made it sound like you go to the parks and hang out with the kids there :o

9. GlassUser

Kids come to me at parks. Apparently I'm a kid magnet. And parents think I'm evil for it.

No, seriously, I live in a small condo complex. Waterfront condos are places for young adults and retirees, not kids, right? You'd think it's okay for me to be chilling out alone by the water? Oh no. I go out fishing on our pier from time to time. Some dumb parents decided it would be a good idea to raise their kids here. And they let their kids run around unsupervised with other local kids. Me, being mister kid-magnet, quickly and involuntarily attract a cloud of young people. They want to know what I'm doing, they want to help catch fish, you know how it is. So I sit out on the end of the complex pier, alone, fishing, never moving from my seat, and soon there are three or four kids hovering around me. Now the parents think I'm some bad guy and want me to not be out there because I'm a threat to their kids. Sigh.

10. johan

johan Active Member

Sorry Glass, but it isn't sicko. It's good parenting. She doesn't really know you from a hole in the wall, and your behaviour while not abnormal isn't part of the typical behaviour from your age range.

Therefore, without delving into it deeper, her automatic and highly CORRECT response is to be suspicious of all behaviour that isn't "typical" behaviour.

And while you may feel it's unfair to you, them's the breaks. Parents have it tough enough days, juggling multiple responsibilities, career, family, etc.

Last thing I have time for is to personally sit down and investigate whether that 20-year old guy at the park who loves to 'play' with children is in fact, ok, or whether he has some issues of his own.

If you love kids so much, there is an agency tailor made for you. It's called BIG BROTHERS. You can shower your love and attention on some needy kids.

BIG BROTHERS. Go call them up.

If you don't call them up, then we'll have no choice but to consider that White03 was correct in shielding her kids from you. But you will call because this thread was genuine, and you just like kids, right....?

11. GlassUser

Sounds like you need to go back and read the thread.

12. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Actually i fear that too.. im 18 and love kids.. btw i am a male.. my little cousins are a blast and they love it when i babysit them, i really have a good time..
    when im older, i don't c myself getting married since my love life stinks.. and i hate the fact that now men have this stigma that if they like to be around kids, that their automatically weirdo's or child molestors.. =(

13. johan

johan Active Member

So why aren't you calling BIG BROTHERS if you love to play and be around kids so much?

Thought so.

14. GlassUser

Why are you skimming the thread, throwing random keywords in new and novel combinations, and trying to insult me with it?

15. lauren

lauren Active Member

get involved in boy scouts/cubs scouts or elementry schools. they are always looking for people to volunteer for tutoring/fairs/field days/camps etc.

there are plenty of ways to get involved without vans and candy....

16. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

This is some stuff i remmeber learning back in some SOCL 101 class, but this is just gender sterotype and there isn't really a way to get around this.. it is one of the things that are sterotyped about males..

in this society (U.S.) its a bit sad because we concentrate so much on gender inequality in terms of females, ppl truly forget that there are also gender inequalities towards males as well..

17. GlassUser

Yeah welcome to the club. Get in on teaching or childrens ministries early so you seem like a normal fixture there, I guess.

18. johan

johan Active Member

Not at all. Your later posts read that you sit alone and the kids come to you. But your first post reads quite differently...

So why aren't you calling BIG BROTHERS if you want to hang out with kids so much.

19. GlassUser

I'm a single white male in my twenties, the most discriminated against in the country.

20. GlassUser

So all my posts have to talk about exactly the same thing? Why don't you go troll someone else's thread?

21. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl: lol wtf is with you and teling him to call big brother? lol its quite funny imo.. normally you help out alot, i don't know if you guys have some fued or something.. but i love your mention of this..:rofl:

22. GlassUser

Yeah, boy scouts, with their recent issues of note, is really the image I want to put out. I don't know much about the elementary school stuff, I came from homeschooling. I'm working on setting up for teaching classes next year though.

23. GlassUser

I dunno, but this loser loves to come in and troll my threads.

24. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

tried adoption? :) although i don't know the procedure and not sure if you really want to do that.. but yah, just a thought..

25. johan

johan Active Member

I like how you've avoided responding to the suggestion, seeing as how Big Brothers would offer you exactly what you've asked for.
    A chance to interact with kids, kids who desperately need interaction with an older person such as yourself.

And you dismiss it as a troll. And why not. Getting exactly what you asked for would remove your reason to complain.

Tell me why Big Brothers doesn't fill EXACTLY the need you're complaining about.

Instead of parents being suspicious of you, they would probably come to greatly respect you.

But instead you want to characterise it as a troll, ok, yep, that's me, I troll Asylum. Give your head a shake buddy.