kicker kx600.4 vs MTX 564

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shastaisforwinners, Feb 24, 2004.

1. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Which of these two amps would you choose, and why? The specs are similar, and I can get them for about the same price. What I'm looking for mainly is input on reliability and current draw. Size isn't really an issue. Thanks :)

James

2. On_One

On_One Guest

Can you post the link to the specs.

I was considering going with the KX600.4 but opted instead to go with the Soundstream EGA4220

http://www.millionbuy.com/souega2440.html

It's cheaper, offers more power, has a smaller footprint, looks a hell of alot better and overall is of better quality imho. I could not be happier with it. Honestly i do not notice a difference in sq or output from my frontstage (JL XR650) after switching to it from a JL 300/2 (150x2). I currently have the front 2 channels running my front stage withe rear bridge to a PG Ti12. I could not be happier, especially for 180 bucks.

3. shastaisforwinners

Kicker: http://www.epinions.com/Kicker_KX60...6004__Amplifiers_02KX6004/display_~full_specs

MTX:
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Mtx_Thunder_564_Car_Audio_Amplifier/display_~full_specs

The MTX's rms power is rated lower, but the birth sheets I've seen on them are about 75 rms / channel.

I like the Kicker more for sheer output (assuming it's a bit under-rated too), but I've heard that they draw a lot of power and have had reliability issues in the past. I don't know if this is true today though (or if it ever was, for that matter).

4. shastaisforwinners

wow, soundstream's have really dropped in price! I haven't run them since the first gen Rubicons (about 4-5 years ago). Have you had any problems with yours yet? That seems like a great choice, I am still just a little wary of Soundstream amps because of the power supply failure rates in the pre-Rubicon amps :)

5. On_One

On_One Guest

The kicker should offer more power . I've reliabilty issues with the MTX's before but those were class D amps not the a/b. Of the two i'd go with go with kicker simply for the extra head room. Although it may draw more power it should not be enough to negativley affect your system. How big is the alternator in your ride?

Honestly you should give that SS amp i suggested a thought. VERY solid and very clean.

6. On_One

On_One Guest

Yeah the Edge line is their new budget line. The internals are very nice for a budget amp though. Well constructed and laid out and built like a tank. I was quite suprised.

The power supply problem was solved back when they put out the ReferenceSX line. They have not had that problem for years now. The problem wasn't form SS but actually company that oem'd the power supplys i believe. I had an Reference 1000S and never had a problem with it. In fact it's still running in friends ride 3 years later. I've yet to have a problem with mine but have only been running it for a week now. The thing runs cold as ice though.

I'd seriusly give it a thought.

7. On_One

On_One Guest

8. shastaisforwinners

ok, I've decided to get the EGA4220 :) This thing should make the CDT CL-61t's scream with any luck

9. denim

denim New Member

I think you choose wisely, sound stream has always been good, even though they were bought out by power acoustic and these newer models are being made by them, but so far so good with the newer models, good luck

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

The soundstream deals are good... millionbuy www.infinitecaraudio.com etc..

A handful of guys from the forums have had problems when returning amps though with the ownership switch... There've been guys who sent their amps in and after months still haven't seen them back, couldn't get ahold of who they needed to, all that horror..

I'd personally go with something that has a better chance of decent customer service, unless you can contact SS through PA's parent company and be assured that you won't have these problems

11. On_One

On_One Guest

Yeah they were bought by the parent company of PA. However they seem to have kept things up to par. I was very suprised with the build quality of the Edge series amplifier. They seem to very solid, well layed out, with quality compoents used. For a "budget" line amp they are very nice.

12. On_One

On_One Guest

I really haven't heard much since the first few months after the sale. I do recall one guy having his trantula lost by ss though.

13. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Yup, that's one of the cases I've heard about...

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Rubicon series is being discontinued, not 100% on that one however, but if so, expect repairs to take even longer or have weird circumstances... Most of the time with screwed up amps it seems that the board is replaced and rebuilt... Without new boards, well....