Kia Sorento

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mr. Kitty Litter, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Mr. Kitty Litter

Mr. Kitty Litter OT Supporter

Anyone know anything about this SUV?
    I currently have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, but want to move into something bigger. Not really trying to win any races with this thing, but I am just looking for some opinions on the ins and outs of this vehicle. :x:

I'm looking to purchase within the next month or so...

2. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I had one of these for a month long rental a while back and I must say that it was a decent vehicle, especially for the price. I was scared to death to take a ride in anything Kia for a long time after seeing the horrible track record that the Sportage had, but the Sorento is leagues ahead of that thing.

The ride is a bit too plush for my liking (a bit dive-y in the corners), the fuel economy is not quite up to where it should be and the transmission hunts for the right gear at times, but it's certainly a decent ride for the money. IMHO it's no Tribute/Sante Fe/CRV, but the price is not at those heights either.

Keep in mind that my opinion is based on a one month review, so hopefully others will post up some longer term evals.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

KIA has the *WORST* reliability record in the market. I mean dead last. And their "10 year" warranty is horse shit. Read the fine print and you'll see that it doesn't cover most things, and that it has a deductable that increases as mileage/time adds up. So in 8 years if you have a prob, you have to pay something like $2,000 out of pocket for their "warranty" service.

4. Mr. Kitty Litter

Mr. Kitty Litter OT Supporter

Yeh, I knew the warranty sounded too good to be true..

5. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

There's always a hidden cost.

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You'd be better off in a Hyundai or Toyota Rav-4

The Toyota scores VERY well on Consumer Reports lists. Hyundai is middle of the road although you get quite a bit more vehicle for the money from Hyundai.

I was considering a small car based ute simply because my Bronco is too fucking big and heavy for my needs and my GTI is being a bucket again. Nickel and Diming me to death. Guess I can't bitch too much, it has 108,000 on the clock.

7. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I'll agree with this. The price will be higher, but you get oh-so-much more in return.

The Sante Fe is quite nice, even with it's bizarre old-generation Tiburon "bubbly" fender treatment and rounded corners that I personally dislike, but it's hard to ignore the fact that it's a heckuva good little SUV.

If you're willing to go down a little in size, the new Hyundai Tuscon and the existing Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute is also quite nice. I have an 04 Escape V6 that has been quite nice so far.

8. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You can also pick up a CR-V or Rav-4 that is a couple years old, for a song.

Honda or Toyota reliability >*

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ugh even if the Rav4 is reliable i cant stand it

my sister has owned one for a few years now and she doesnt care for it very much, it is incredibly gutless and the interior is generally lacking (its not a very comfortable cab)

not many perks, she hasnt a problem with it yet though, atleast not to my knowledge.

i think most small SUVS are a joke

10. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

If you're in the market for an SUV that size, there's a reason the Escape is at the top.
    If you don't like Fords, I'd go with an Equinox or Tuscon.

11. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

We are on our second Honda CRV (traded 1st gen for 2nd gen). My wife puts over 25,000 miles a year with her long ass commute and we still haven't had any problems.

12. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I've driven several CRXs, and it always feels like you're driving a minivan.

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I think you mean CR-V, and since its built on a Civic platform, I'd think it would feel more like a Civic.

Just a guess though. I'd sport one if I were in the market for such a vehicle.

14. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I do. I suppose that makes a bit of a difference. I have no idea why I typed CRX instead of V.

15. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

ive heard good things about the santa fe

16. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Admittedly, I do like the looks of the Sorento. However, I could never bring myself to purchase a Kia or a Hyundai. There are many more quality choices out there. The CR-V, Rav4, or even an Element are very viable mini-utes. You could also look at a Subaru Forester or Outback, they are built on the Impreza platform.

17. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I agree with the "Never buy a Kia" mentality, but there is nothing wrong with the Sante Fe or the newer Tuscon. Hyundai has come a long way with their product in the last five years and are certainly above what Kia has to offer.

This is not to say that I myself would want a Sante Fe or a Tuscon as I have issues with the looks, but they have done well in the reviews and in head-to-head comparos with the other segment competitors, albeit the Santa Fe is due for a revision soon.

18. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I have a friend that was given a new Hyundai Sonata for a rental car after his Mazda 6 was wrecked and in the shop getting repaired.

He had less the 200 miles on it and something in the steering broke while he was driving down the road. He did not abuse the rental car either (I would have.) Granted it wasn't an SUV, but I'll spend a little more and get something that I feel a little more comfortable driving.

19. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I could sit here and tell you about the new Toyota Camry I took for a test drive a few years back and the engine threw a rod, but I won't... why? Because it's not the norm and I know the difference.

I do not own a Hyundai or even particularly like anything Hyundai has to offer right now, but one thing is for sure, they have come a long way from where they were.