Keyed my own tailgate... best way to fix? (PIC)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MUDFISH, Sep 4, 2009.

1. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

So I'm an idiot, and I opened my tailgate with my keys in my hand and dropped the tailgate right on the keys. The scratch is white, and through the clear and blue, I can see white, but no metal.

It is somewhat small, so do you think ScratchX 2.0 will work? Should I just use a paint pen? Should I use a scratch pen after the ScratchX, then wax?

Need some advice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Best way? Repaint. You've gone through the clear coat and color coat and into the primer. That can't be polished out. Touch-up paint will make it look better, but not perfect.

3. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

the truck is only 3 months old, I don't really want to repaint... that really sucks... I might try touch up paint to get me through the winter and keep it from rusting and decide the next step in the spring...

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Use an artist's paintbrush, don't use the felt pen or the brush that comes with the bottle. A natural-fiber brush is best because the bristles won't warp from coming in contact with the paint's petroleum solvents. Michael's has a good selection of inexpensive natural-hair paintbrushes; get the smallest one you can find.

5. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Call local car dealerships and ask who they use for scratch repair.

Meet the guy at a dealership and he can touch that up for $50 much better than you could after hours of work.

6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

It happens man dont beat yourself up you got the first one out of the way now. Get some touch up from the dealer, get an art brush and apply gently and call it a day.