keyboard messing up, exept its not the keyboard...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jake.K, May 28, 2006.

1. Jake.K

Jake.K New Member

ok,
    So, after alot of troubles, i finally reformatted my computer.
    Problem is, now the keyboard doesnt work half the time. It isnt the keyboard, as i have tried two keyboards AND the on-screen keyboard. When I try to type, it just makes a windows noise and and dosent do anything to some keys, and for some keys, it gives does random actions, like open the file/edit/view windows, close the window, minimize the window etc.
    now, it dosent do this all the time, just some of the time. When it does it i just have to sit and wait it out.

weird eh?
    anyone have any idea on what could be causing this?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The on-screen keyboard doesn't work right either? Then it's obviously not a hardware problem. Sometimes Windows just doesn't install correctly; wipe the drive and reinstall from scratch again. It's a pain in the ass, yeah, but not as much as being unable to type is.

3. Jake.K

Jake.K New Member

yep, tried the on-screen...
    and i REALLY dont feel like re-installing windows.
    i can and will if there is no other way to maby fix this, but maby someone has heard of theis problem before?

4. deusexaethera

Frankly, I've never seen nor heard of the like. There's always a smart way to fix problems like this, like tracking down and reinstalling all of the keyboard drivers and any related Registry entries, but I suspect (given that you'll be stuck using the mouse to do all the work) that the dumb way will be easier overall.

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

It sounds like it thinks the alt key is stuck, maybe the port itself is screwed up? Try using compressed air to blow out the plug and port. And yeah, if you can, re-install keyboard drivers.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I have heard of PS2 controlers going tits up. Very rare, but possible.

I agree completely with XDude, sounds like it thinks a function key is being depressed.

Definately make sure your KB is being detected properly by windows, and tray again.

Perhaps it might be time to move to a USB KB?

7. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

if you hit shift 5 times in a row it'll turn on "stickey keys" :mamoru: this keeps certain keys "stuck" down. see if that shit is turned on.

8. Jake.K

Jake.K New Member

ok, well to all those who think it is a keyboard problem, i dont see how it could be if the on-screen keyboard wont work either.
    and it works sometimes, just not all the time.

i didnt install any drivers, as i never do. I sort of looked for a driver, but didnt find any. I have just the regular keyboard from dell and i have tried a logitech keyboard.

9. deusexaethera

StickyKeys might be to blame, since it is a software function. But when he reboots, StickyKeys should be reset to off. I still say it's easier to reinstall than to troubleshoot in this case.

10. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

If something is wrong with the port and the computer thinks the physical ALT key is being pressed, then the on-screen keyboard will as well. Just press shift on your physical keyboard and type with the on-screen keyboard and you will see, they interact with each other. I never said anything was wrong with your keyboard.

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Yes, the on-screen reporting Keyboard is reding fromt eh PS2 port, not from Windows.

Windows doesnt give a shit. Its only being fed what the port is telling it.

Might not hurt to make sure that you have the right region, and the right key layout in your KB's properties.

As for drivers, its more of an issue of WIndows installing the wrong one by default, rather then you being a fuck tard.

12. Jake.K

Jake.K New Member

ok, i see what your saying now.
    So, if I unplug the keyboard and then use the on-screen keyboard, it should work....right?

ok so ill try that, and see what happens.
    but it sounds like im going to have to reformat AGAIN....o well...

13. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

Sounds like the drivers are'nt loaded completely for the keyboard function..., try checking there and installing them if need be.

14. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Try a USB keyboard and install the drivers from the CD if all else fails. You can get it shipped for 10 bucks.

15. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Maybe