Keyboard F'd Up on Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by klizzle, Sep 8, 2009.

1. klizzle

klizzle New Member

My laptop's keyboard has this frustrating problem where many of the buttons will send multiple outputs (i.e. pressin p results in 0p when I type, 9 does enter + 9, delete does delete + end key... so on). I never noticed this until I started messing with the broken shift key. I don't know what may have happened to it in the past because I received it less than a week ago. Google so far has been useless because I can't think of what to search for that would yield decent results.

Am I shit out of luck here or there any good things I could try to get this working again?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What kind of laptop? I don't know what can be done to troubleshoot, but replacement keyboards are pretty cheap.

3. klizzle

klizzle New Member

It's a Uniwill 258SA5, pretty old I believe from like 03 or 04, I might look into a replacement keyboard then if it's cheap and there's not any good ways to fix it.

4. xuntilthexendx

xuntilthexendx New Member

Sometimes, it's just easier/cheaper to get a new laptop. Depending on what you use it for you can get laptops pretty cheap now-a-days.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The keyboard shouldn't cost more than $30-40. MUCH cheaper than replacing the laptop.

6. Homeless

Homeless New Member

I would ebay a new keyboard for that computer. They go for as little as $12 on some models

7. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Target sells USB keyboards for about $10

8. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

rofl @ poor advice. Ever heard of USB. If only there was some way to connect a new input device to a laptop.

9. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Thanks for this advice... I didn't realize these keyboards were on eBay. My gf's Toshiba Satellite has the 'w' and 'f' keys on her keyboard broken, so buying a new keyboard would be the best option to fix this, no? Some local place wants to charge her $80 JUST to bring it in and have them look at it :hsugh: Damn crooks.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It's amazing what can be found on Ebay.

They are very easy to change out.

A lot of shops will charge a fee just to diagnose something... Having broken keys on a keyboard make it a no-brainer to just replace it IMO.

11. klizzle

klizzle New Member

So I ended u0p just taking out my keyboard and checking the model number...

And after some googling I a0p0parently have a really rare keyboard. I've found a website that distributes a similar keyboard (I can't find the actual keyboard ANYWHERE...) that looks the same and is by the same manufacturer.

My question is, are la0pto0p keyboards generally com0patible (similar to 0ps2 and usb keyboards for deskto0ps)P? If it fits, will it work?

a0pologies for the ty0pos, im tired of correcting them when BACKS)PACE\and DELETE dont ma0p 0pro0perly...

12. klizzle

klizzle New Member

the 0part number is K010727E3 if anyone feels like hel0ping me out around online, however i haven't found any reliable vendors that have it in stock

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

14. klizzle

klizzle New Member

Yeah that was the first site I found as well. I tried clicking Add to Cart and got shit, and that site overall seems sketchy.