Key shortcut set-ups???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drinks11, Sep 21, 2004.

1. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

Today I cleaned my desktop out completely and now I want to set up key combinations to open programs. I know that Win-key + F opens find, and I was wondering where I could go to set up something like that, where I could hit Fn+W to open Winamp, Fn+I to open Firefox, or whatever. Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You can do this within the Shortcut properties for the program or file.
    Just click on the 'Shortcut key' option and hit the letter you want, but it will always be a combo of CTRL+ALT+<your key> Unless you use the F-keys
    With the F-keys you can use just plan F-keys or CTRL+F-key, ALT+F-key, Shift+F-key or combos there of.
    I don't know if the shortcut has to be on the desktop or not or just exist any where.

3. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

That should work no matter where the shortcut is. I do that a lot with shortcuts that are in my Start Menu (CTRL-ALT-C to open Calculater, CTRL-ALT-G to open Gaim, etc.)

4. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

i think its easier to just make all the programs so you can run them from the run dialog with one word, and press win+r and type in the name :dunno:

5. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

To each his own, I guess, but I would think it'd be easier to do three keystrokes rather than opening a command prompt and typing something in... :dunno:

6. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

I downloaded a program called WinKey from download.com that solved my problem. You can set up WinKey+any letter to open a program. However, now I want to know if I can do that to open a new IM...anyone have this program that would know how to get that to open? I tried putting in the aim:goim?screenname= link, but that didn't work...