Ketogenic Diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by CFree3344, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CFree3344

CFree3344 OT Supporter

Anyone ever tried it? What were your results? Did the high fat, high protein, low carb work for you?

Give some example meals!!

2. Mass

Mass Active Member

meat aaaand meat

3. tkluu

tkluu New Member

meat and brocolli

4. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Once I really hit Ketosis, I felt like garbage. I couldn't focus at all, felt lethargic and I was in the worst mood ever. The only thing that made me feel better was vodka and diet coke.

It was terrible, I'll never try it again.

edit: I only did this for a month before I decided I needed to be in a good mood so my girlfriend didn't break up with me because I was yelling at her randomly for stupid shit. Weak minded? maybe :o

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  5. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I actually had good luck with it. Stayed on clean no cheat for about 4 months. Dropped from 235 to 165, eventually rebounding around 175 which I was able to maintain for years. Good for sedentary people, not that great if you care about gym performance. It's easy to stick to,and you actually feel BETTER in ketosis than carbed up once your body adjusts.

Any specifics, I'd be glad to answer.

6. Sims.0

Sims.0 New Member

Would not agree at all with the statement in bold. I had great results with this diet and lost 18lbs (was lean to begin with) and once my body adjusted i was in a better mood and my gym performance did not suffer. definitely takes getting used to at first but once you get rolling the cravings stop and you feel much better. i would absolutely recommend it.

7. Sims.0

Sims.0 New Member

oh and some example meals include bunless cheeseburgers and salad/any kind of vegetable...marinated chicken and salad/veggies, omelettes, eggs and bacon, tuna and mayo in a bowl, steak and salad/veggies, and really any other kind of meat and vege/salad combo. noting that some vegetables like carrots and corn are poor choices for a keto diet. if the meal did not have enough fat i would either have a handful of nuts after or protein shake and flaxseed oil.

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I loved keto... a lot.

9. CFree3344

CFree3344 OT Supporter

I am 227 lbs. Looking to take in 2300-2400 calories..

I have 170lbs of lean muscles. So I should take it 170grams of protein. What if I go over this? is that bad?

10. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

You're fine going over, as long as it fits your overall caloric intake goal. Less and you may have issues with supporting current muscle.

11. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

anybody have "The Ketogenic Diet A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner" ??

12. DatacomGuy

Read more about keto... you need high fats too.

13. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Lyle's book? Sure...hit me with a PM if you want the PDF.

14. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I'm going but what my body needs and what I consider gym performance. If I'm not adding weight to the bar every week, I'm moving backwards. Keto diets don't do this for me. When I was lifting very little, doing mostly cardio and shit, yes I lost fat and maintained or even gained muscle. And believe me, I love keto diets since it's easy as shit for me to stick to and it does work, but I can't bear to stand the weights not going up. Carb cycling has proven a better approach for this for me.

15. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I found I was able to maintain ketosis on as little as 30% cals from fat if carbs were <20g day (mostly fiber). It depends on the person.

16. DatacomGuy

This is true. Was about the same for me.

17. :|

:| Guest

makes people's breath smell like rotting vegetation

18. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Timed-Carb dieting is a form of Keto that you can really shred on. Check out the Fat-loss forum here for ideas...

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/

Here is an article

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3398

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  19. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

I kinda have the same experiences. I hit Ketosis on the 4th day and feel super lean. But I mentally break down and cheat. If you can stick to the plan for 14days you should be feeling great on it. I'm horrible at it and always cheat on the 4th :rofl:

My diet looks like this...

Keto 4 days
    KFC 3 days

:mamoru:

20. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I'm a weird one!! I can be strong as shit and function perfectly fine on a zero carb diet. I'm more tired when I do eat carbs.

21. DatacomGuy

Same here.. I function SO much better on a ZERO carb/keto setup.

22. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

I'm weird too. I have alot of energy and sweat like crazy during cardio....its embarassing at times.

But i get super hungry and crave carbs real hard. I've actually been on a carb/fast food binge for a week straight :hsugh:

23. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

i did it last last summer, and got down to about 6-9%. 160 to 140lbs in about 2 months.

felt like shit, all my lifts went down. i was doing it too crazy. ECY stack everyday. lifting hard 5 days a week. it was also my last quarter in college and i was super stressed out. it fucked my immune system up to the point where i had a shingles out break!!!! at the age of 24! it was on the same day i had a PR on deadlift (365lbs at 140)

24. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I did this last summer for about 4 weeks.
    I was able to drop a solid 15lbs and leaned out pretty well, but I just couldn't stand how flat I felt with so little carbs in me. My muscles all felt weak and flat and my lifts were hurting.... but I more-so attribute the weakness to lower cals.

When I was doing this I was taking in ~ 40g's a day of carbs and most of that was fiber.

I find I do better on a diet that allows 100-125g's of carbs. I don't lean out as fast, but the muscle feel more full and I still get just as lean but it takes longer.

A diet of 2,000 cals, 60g fat, 100g carbs, 250g protein works quite well for me.

25. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

I have found that CKD, although the science seems solid, is much tougher on my system and I feel terrible on the carb up meals. I think strict keto is easier to stick to. Also, for me, if I slowly reintroduce the carbs (<25g incremental per day) I haven't rebounded at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.