MIL Kerry 'Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief', Say Former Military Colleagues

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by urbanchaos, May 3, 2004.

1. urbanchaos

urbanchaos Guest

http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200405/SPE20040503a.html

Kerry 'Unfit to be Commander-in-Chief', Say Former Military Colleagues
    By Marc Morano
    CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
    May 03, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Hundreds of former commanders and military colleagues of presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry are set to declare in a signed letter that he is "unfit to be commander-in-chief." They will do so at a press conference in Washington on Tuesday.

"What is going to happen on Tuesday is an event that is really historical in dimension," John O'Neill, a Vietnam veteran who served in the Navy as a PCF (Patrol Craft Fast) boat commander, told CNSNews.com . The event, which is expected to draw about 25 of the letter-signers, is being organized by a newly formed group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

"We have 19 of 23 officers who served with [Kerry]. We have every commanding officer he ever had in Vietnam. They all signed a letter that says he is unfit to be commander-in-chief," O'Neill said.

O'Neill, currently a Houston, Texas, based attorney, is no stranger to Kerry. O'Neill served in the same naval unit as Kerry and commanded Kerry's swift boat after Kerry returned to the United States. Kerry's command of the PCF boat lasted four months and ended shortly after he received his third Purple Heart. According to naval regulations at the time, any sailor who received three Purple Hearts could request a transfer out of the combat zone.

Kerry and O'Neill engaged in a nationally televised debate in 1971 on The Dick Cavett Show over Kerry's allegations that many Vietnam soldiers had routinely engaged in atrocities such as raping and cutting off ears and heads of Vietnamese soldiers and citizens. Kerry was the then spokesman for the anti-war group Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

"We are going to be presenting a letter that deals with Kerry's unfitness to be commander and chief that has been signed by hundreds of swift boat sailors, including most of those who served with Kerry," O'Neill explained.

"The ranks of the people signing [the letter] range from admiral down to seaman, and they run across the entire spectrum of politics, specialties, and political feelings about the Vietnam War," he added.

Among those scheduled to attend the event at the National Press Club and declare Kerry unfit for the role of commander-in-chief are retired Naval Rear Admiral Roy Hoffman, who was the commander of the Navy Coastal Surveillance Force, which included the swift boats on which Kerry served.

Also scheduled to be present at the event is Kerry's former commanding officer, Lt. Commander Grant Hibbard. Hibbard recently questioned whether Kerry deserved the first of his three Purple Hearts that he received in Vietnam. Hibbard doubted both the severity of the wound and whether it resulted from enemy fire.

"I've had thorns from a rose that were worse" than Kerry's wound for which he received a Purple Heart, Hibbard told the Boston Globe in April.

Organizers are confident that Tuesday's event and the letter with hundreds of signatures will educate people about Kerry.

"It is one of the largest outpourings of concern about him being commander-in-chief that anybody could have in a presidential campaign and it is by the people who know him best," O'Neill said.

'Unfit Commander-in-Chief'

Swift Boat Veterans For Truth maintains that Kerry's fellow Vietnam veterans are almost uniform in their disdain for his military service and anti-war protests.

"Not only a majority of the people who served with him feel that way, but a vast and overwhelming majority," O'Neill said. He added that more than "ninety percent of the people contacted by Swift Boat Veterans for Truth responded to the request to sign their name, with only 12 declining to sign.

"Comrades who actually served with him, almost all of them, are opposed to him, and believe he would be an unfit commander in chief and intend to bring the truth of his actual record to the attention of the American people," O'Neill said.

O'Neill hopes the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth can reveal to the American people what he sees as Kerry's flawed character.

"In the military, loyalty between commanders and the troops serving them is a two-way street. We have here a guy (Kerry) that with all of us in the field [in Vietnam] -- actually fighting the North Vietnamese -- came home and then falsely accused all of us of war crimes at a time when the people in uniform couldn't even respond," O'Neill said.

"And he did that knowing that was a lie," he added.

'Real John Kerry'

B. G. Burkett, author of the book Stolen Valor and a military researcher, believes that Tuesday's event will not be dismissed easily by Kerry's campaign as a "partisan" attack.

"There are probably just as many Democrats amongst sailors who sailed swift boats as there are Republicans. What Kerry fails to realize is this has nothing to do with politics -- this has to with Vietnam Veterans who served, who have a beef with John Kerry's service, both during and after the war," Burkett told CNSNews.com.

"The American people do not know John Kerry and hopefully the swift boat crews and other Vietnam veterans will make sure that the American public knows the real John Kerry," he added.

Jim Loftus of Kerry's press office referred questions about Swift Boat Veterans for Truth's event on Tuesday to spokesman David Wade. Wade did not return CNSNews.com's requests for comment.

2. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Reset for On Topic. :hs:

3. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Guest

O'Neill...where does that name sound familiar...oh yeah thats the guy who argued with Kerry over 30 years ago about the war in Vietnam and has had a grudge ever since.

A Republican senator who was in Vietnam has said he is fit to be commander, and the people whose LIVES HE SAVED certainly agree with that too

This is just a small group of veterans who still have to come to reality about american atrocities like the Tiger Force

But have a wonderful time trying to smear the guy

4. Dragonbliss

Dragonbliss Guest

And Bush was clearly qualified?

This news source claims to be non-biased but (much like the Fox News Network) obviously lacks in objectivity. Additionally, its parent company is not any better. NewsMax seems less biased than this site. There is not one article remotely criticizing Bush or any other republican.

5. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

We are not talking about bush here we are talking about Kerry and Americans should hear what they have to say and then draw a conclusion for themselves.

6. SBrooks1

SBrooks1 GOAT OT Supporter

I count 1 :o

7. Dragonbliss

Dragonbliss Guest

Exactly, and ideally they should hear them from news sources that are not claiming to be 'fair and balanced' when they are really right-wing mouthpieces.

8. RMNIXON

RMNIXON New Member

The dreaded Fox news had some of Kerry's fellow soldiers on months ago, most of whom had good things to say, and a few others who did not. I really don't consider this an issue as the record seems to be mostly positive. The only thing I would ad however, is that Kerry cannot simply answer every Foreign Policy and War on Terror question with his Vietnam service record. Being Commander in Chief is just a bit more involved than service on a Gun Boat! In short it is Kerry who keeps bringing up Vietnam and so people in the press are going to snoop about on this one.

9. RMNIXON

RMNIXON New Member

As opposed to the "left-wing mouthpieces?" :slap:

10. 91LS-VTAK

91LS-VTAK Guest

haha sorry mate, u're wrong on that one.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp

11. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i'm assuming you are talking of the throwing of his purple hearts...and he threw a couple of his friends metals also that couldn't be there with him...this has been talked about on numerous interviews that he never tried to pretend that these were his metals

12. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Kerry should stop trying to run on his Vietnam record. It is his record as a Senator that should be more important. After all he served as a junior officer in war over 30 years ago, that does not make him a viable commander in chief now especially when he says he will go to the UN for everything. But as long as he wants to run on that record I must ask why did he cut and run once he got his 3rd wound? Not to mention they were all minor as he missed no more than a day of service per each incident. Many soldiers then and now keep serving in theater even after being wounded 3x. In WWII they could not keep the wounded off the lines. Yet Kerry gets his 3 little wounds, cuts and runs home and then begins protesting the war for several years. Sounds like a great record to me.

13. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:rolleyes: Read the snopes article.

14. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Guest

I can't believe some people here, if he would have single-handedly charged a hill and won the battle, you'd be crying "they were probably asleep anyway!"

You can't win with you guys, nomatter how much of a hero someone is, as soon as they go democrat, they are evil and spineless.

Welcome to the party of no soul, population you

15. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

The problem I have with Kerry using his service in campaign ads is that he denounced it for years after returning home.

that would be the same as disowning a child, then coming back and saying you love them 10 years later when they win the lottery.

it mocks the public that have no idea about his anti-war stance. Was it a bad thing? not really. But using it as though he was a patriot through and through is disgusting.

16. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Guest

You see, he is a patriot. Being a patriot doesn't mean going off to a war, risking your life for your country and fellow soldiers, than coming home and keeping quiet.

He wanted his fellow troops back, he saw it as an unwinnable war that was bringing out the worst in some people (like Tiger Force and My Lai)

I think thats the ultimate of being a patriot

17. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

however he didn't bring that up in the campaign ad. He stated he was a lifelong military supporter who served his country with pride- the ad is on his site.

it was clearly aimed at swing republicans that support the military

18. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Guest

He does support the military (Just not all the super-loaded budgets that came out)

You take any kid who just got back, was wounded three times, saw his friends die, saw the burning of villages, heard all sorts of atrocity stories from his fellow officers...he's gonna turn against THE WAR, but not THE MILITARY

He does include atrocities...but they did happen alot in Vietnam. Every year we stayed in Vietnam we lost more american boys and did more atrocities in an unwinnable situation. Even today he stands why that when Russert made charges against his war crimes statement, he stood by saying its been proved (which it has, in atleast the american historical community) but he wished he handn't used atrocities

19. shysterblack

shysterblack New Member

Shameful..to attack a Viet Nam war hero...It just gets no lower than this in politics...

And to think that a lot of these attacks are coming from the Whitehouse..from a couple of men who never even served..Cheney and Rove...Cheney had more draft defermits than a porcupine has quills...and Bush..who's daddy snagged him a job in the guard over a few hundred already in line.....

Back to topic......the smear campaine is in full force...by the right wing neocons and using dirty tricks invented during the Nixon years...Lee Atwater comes to mind....

shameful

Smear Boat Veterans for BushThe "Swift boat" veterans attacking John Kerry's war record are led by veteran right-wing operatives using the same vicious techniques they used against John McCain four years ago.

Behind the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are veteran corporate media consultant and Texas Republican activist Merrie Spaeth, who is listed as the group's media contact; eternal Kerry antagonist and Dallas attorney John E. O'Neill, law partner of Spaeth's late husband, Tex Lezar; and retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffman, a cigar-chomping former Vietnam commander once described as "the classic body-count guy" who "wanted hooches destroyed and people killed."

Spaeth told Salon that O'Neill first approached her last winter to discuss his "concerns about Sen. Kerry." O'Neill has been assailing Kerry since 1971, when the former Navy officer was selected for the role by Charles Colson, Richard Nixon's dirty-tricks aide. Spaeth heard O'Neill out, but told him, she says, that he "sounded like a crazed extremist" and should "button his lip" and avoid speaking with the press. But since Kerry clinched the Democratic nomination, Spaeth has changed her mind and decided to donate her public relations services on a "pro bono" basis to O'Neill's latest anti-Kerry effort. "About three weeks ago, four weeks ago," she said, the group's leaders "met in my office for about 12 hours" to prepare for their Washington debut.

Spaeth's partisanship runs still deeper, as does her history of handling difficult P.R. cases for Republicans. In 1998, for example, she coached Kenneth Starr, the independent counsel, to prepare him for his testimony urging the impeachment of President Clinton before the House Judiciary Committee. She even reviewed videotapes of his previous television appearances to give him pointers about his delivery and demeanor. The man responsible for arranging her advice to Starr was another old friend of her late husband's, Theodore Olson, who was counsel to the right-wing American Spectator when it acted as a front for the dirty-tricks campaign against Clinton known as the Arkansas Project; he is now the solicitor general in the Bush Justice Department. (Olson also happens to be the godfather of Spaeth's daughter.)

My goodness...even Olsen is up to his old tricks...I wonder if Scafie is also tied to this? I'm sure there's a little Scafie money floating around somewhere!

20. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

I agree with everything you said- however the VC were not exactly fighting clean either. it was hell on earth I'm sure.

But if that's how you felt after the war, and perhaps continue to feel, then I think he should run on that premise, and not try to make his feelings about his service seem something completely different.

I asked my wife after watching it what she thought, and she said something to the tune of him fighting and proud to have served...that really shows how the general public will see it.

Kerry was not proud of his service, or of the military at the time.

21. shysterblack

shysterblack New Member

You just seem to have it backward.....it's the Whitehouse smear team that's putting Kerry on the Viet Nam chopping block...If he doesn't at least respond to all the bs allagations, would it not seem like he had something to hide? Of course he's going to use it...In this case, I don't blame him.

Before you claim bs....Bush spent 50 million buck in 10 ads.....of which a few of them question Kerry's character in Viet Nam......What a terrible way to win an election...Bush can't run on his own record as President? He needs to smear the opponent so as to keep the issues out of the limelight? After all, that's all Rove and team are doing...Smear him on his service record, his military spending..(he voted the same way Cheney did in 91 on the bill they smear him on..) Raising taxes....and so forth...

Smear because they don't have squat as a record themselves.....

22. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Guest

He was proud of his service, and of his buddies and the common soldier, what he was not proud of was the Pentagon and several things like that.

Why do you think he asked "How can you ask the last man to die for a mistake?" because he didn't care about them?

It would be a very sad race indeed if Kerry ran on the "Vietnam ended 30 years ago, but we should have gotten out 3 years earlier" ticket

23. Maud'dib

Maud'dib It's always summer on the inside...

I saw Bush giving a speech on TV yesterday, and he said something about how Kerry wasn't going to be able to pay for all the spending he had planned.
    ...Is it just me or does that sound vaguely like someone else? Maybe someone who's been in office for the past four years?