KERNEL error crashing pc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chompiras, Jun 5, 2005.

1. chompiras

chompiras New Member

My pc started crashing eveyrtime I opened the game GuildWars, without an error message. Earlier I tried installing another game and my pc crashed the same way, but this time it took me to a blue screen with the error

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

I'm hoping this is the same reason why my GuildWars is crashing, anyone know how to fix it?

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

probably a bad hdd.

download Seagate SeaTools (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/download/SEATOOLD_EN.ISO) and burn it to a CD. Then boot to it and run a FULL diagnostics. Will take 1+ hour(s)... but it's very thorough. If it finds even one bad sector, then your drive is bad. Run the mem test with SeaTools, too.

4. chompiras

chompiras New Member

Should I do that even if my HD's aren't Seagate?

5. Intuit

Intuit New Member

The system may be having problems swapping data in from the HardDrive. I think there's a remote possibility that it could be driver related. Make sure that you keep you HDs relatively cool. Heat won't kill a drive, but it will reduce the drive's lifespan by making it develop bad sectors prematurely and reduce the bearings' lifetime as well. Check the Event Viewer and see if there are any read errors noted there. Also have the system perform a surface-scan to refresh the data stored on each sector.

Also, try setting the "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" paramter to "1" for a few reboots. This is located under the MemoryManagement reg key. It's not gauranteed, but hopefully the swapfile will eventually recreate itself on different sectors.

6. Intuit

Intuit New Member

Also try temporarily disabling the Green Feature that shuts down you HDs during inactive periods. SOmetimes (too) hot drives, can have problems spinning back up.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, seatools works on most drives.