Kenwood Excelon KDC-X879

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jeyur, Mar 23, 2004.

1. jeyur

jeyur cum fairy OT Supporter

2. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

REALLY nice deck. We put one in some guys jeep the other day, and I was very impressed with this deck over the other standard kenwood decks.

It was my first experience with the srsWOW feature, and to me, it sounded a lot better than Alpines Media Expander.

Impressive deck. :bigthumb:

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

My g/f has the Excelon deck from last year. Anyway, the deck is a POS for the $550+ she paid for it. It sounds decent, but the fliping face will cause porblems. They use a cheap cable for the display and that often dissintegrates and cracks due to heat and constant motion. When they breaks the display doesn't work at all. Hers went about 4 weeks ago, then about 2 days later the whole deck went bad. Sent it to Kenwood and they fixed it. Took a loading mechanism, new cable, and new display. Checked with a guy at a local higher end audio shop and kenwoods are known to have problems with the display.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  4. Mudd

Mudd New Member

I have one in my Solara. It's nice - good clean outputs for my amp, sat radio input, and all that jive. I'm just waiting for Kenwood to abandon their Music Keg and just make an MP3 changer for it, and I'll be happy.

I'm happy with mine. Looks nice with all kinds of options, sounds great, even though I don't usually use that artificial music enhancement crap (nor do I fiddle with the bass, treble controls, or the crossovers that come with it). I upgraded from an Excelon PS709, and I'm happy I did. I picked mine up about 2 months ago (or so). I'd recommend it over anything Pioneer's ever dreamed up, and it's nicer than any Alpine I've yet seen. Just an FYI.