SRS keeping in touch - family/friends

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChaCha, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

There is some anxiety with family and I

I don't see my family much and I don't call them very often (and vice versa). When I do see them I feel awkward and emotionally detached.

Its parents weekend at the house this weekend and my mom found out that I didn't invite them. Basically, I broke my mother's heart and she won't answer my calls.

...sometimes I feel that calling them up just isn't appealing because I don't want to spare an hour of my time. :(

I'm 22, male

2. Mint

Mint Active Member

They should have raised you better and you should know better? :confused:

3. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

well my parents were divorced when I was 10 and I didn't speak to my father for 7 years so that might explain some of the distance with my father but my mother is another story. She has let me down so many times that I don't even bother anymore.

With my mom, our conversations some how lead into some sort of conspiracy that has come about as of recently (breaking news!) or about some celebrity/tv show. She hasn't worked in over a decade because of a back injury and I guess has nothing better to do.

4. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

better you haven't met my brother then lol

5. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Sometimes distance is good. Seek a therapist, he can help you work on the family issues.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You know...these are some deep issues and likely were quite painful. It's normal and natural, when one has been deeply hurt, to want to avoid those types of situations in the future and to guard their heart.

I would suggest counseling. It may not help you deal with your mother better but hopefully it will help you feel OK about your choices and feelings regarding her.