Keeping dress shirts out of the landfill

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DizzyEdge, Jan 29, 2008.

1. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Oh clothing gurus... I seem to have a problem where after not a ton of wearing, my dress shirts start to have the colour wear off of the front edge of the cuffs (and eventually the collar tips). Is there anything that can be done about this, as in almost all cases the rest of the shirt is as good as new, it seems a waste to toss it or at least remove it from my work clothes rotation due to 1/2 an inch by 1/32 of an inch wear.. but especially on a dark coloured shirt it's fairly noticeable (to me anyway). Would pricier shirts last longer, or is this always an issue.

2. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Where are you buying them?

How long have you owned them?

3. pokpok

pokpok New Member

what brands are you wearing?

4. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

I'd typically buy a house brand at a store like The Bay (your most common dept store here in Canada, think Sears + up one level). Cost is probably.. $50? I work in an IT related field and until very recently dress code was fairly casual, so this is the first time in a while that I'm wearing dress shirts/pants on a daily basis. I'm not sure how long I've had the particular shirt I'm wearing, but I'm guessing it's been through .. 30 gentle cold water washes? Perhaps I'm expecting shirts to last longer than they tend to. I also have no problem paying more, if that would make a difference.

5. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

is it just color fading or is it actual wear, like fraying?

6. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Appears to be actual wear now that I look closely, basically in a few small spots instead of say.. 15 black threads covering the white stiffener material inside the cuff, there's only maybe 5 threads so the white material shows through.

7. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Brand is "Colours by Alexander Julian".. probably garbage, which is too bad as I've never had a shirt that looks and has a collar shape etc that I like as much as this one.

8. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Try Mens Wearhouse or something.

9. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

I checked out their website but unfortunately it appears no shipping to Canada :(. Any relatively common brands that was quality but moderate cost, if it's common enough I can probaby find somewhere that carries it here. Unfortunately I think there's very few US dept stores up here.. other than Sears or er... walmart hah so it's hard to compare.

Edit: maybe I'll have to make a road trip to the states.

10. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

Thats called foxing, I believe, and it happens to all dress shirts eventually.

One thing to note is that you may not have to wash a dress shirt after every wear, especially if you wear an undershirt and are somewhat hygienic. Washing is hard on all cloths, especially lighter fabrics like dress shirts.

Either don't wash them so much, try gentle cycle, dry clean instead of washing, or just deal with it. expensive shirts will last a little longer, but not by much. Worn in dress shirts become weekend wear for the office crowd sometimes, but other than that its just the normal circle of life.

11. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Thanks for the info, like I said until now I haven't been wearing dress shirts daily so I'm unsure how long they should last. I actually do tend to wear undershirts, so perhaps constant washing isn't necessary. Also I dry on low heat, but perhaps air drying would be better. I should see how much dry cleaning would run me, having them nicely pressed ready to go at all times would be nice.

12. difabs

difabs New Member

Mexx is a fairly inexpensive brand that has high quality shirts, also look for penguin maybe???

13. pokpok

pokpok New Member

polo.com

14. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

I've definitely seen Mexx in stores up here.

15. difabs

difabs New Member

You should, im from canada too, so i know exactly where your coming from :wavey:

16. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

haha ok awesome.

17. above & beyond

above & beyond No One on Earth

are you washing them with water or dry cleaning?

18. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Water, however, I called a drycleaner today and determined that after 15-20 drycleans I would have paid the equivalent of a new shirt.. so it seems I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.