GUN Keeping ammo dry

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Griffon, May 19, 2004.

1. Griffon

Griffon comic nerd extraordinaire

I always hear about special forces inserting through the water and every time I do, I always wonder how they keep their ammo dry. Are their pouches waterproof? Has ammo improved to the point where it can be in water then still fire? Is there something that im missing?

2. nigneil146

nigneil146 Guest

Most modern quality ammo is sealed at the mouth and the primer. I'm not sure if Nato ball is sealed or not. If I would have to guess, I would say it is.

3. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Pretty much all ammo can take a dive for a very short period of time. I think speer made some ammo that is waterproof for a certain amount of time. I am sure SF carry their loaded mags in some sort of improvised, water tight container. Hell, ziplock bags are pretty watertight.

4. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Lake City ammo is sealed and they also put their magazines in ziplock pouches.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

all nato spec ammo is sealed at the neck and the primer. if you have ammo that's not primer sealed, you can take clear nail polish with a high laquer content to the primer base.

some lake city, the commercial stuff, has been found to not have neck sealant. the LC commercial stuff is also the reject stuff that the gov't doesn't buy, so keep that in mind. Q3131A and other M193 than the LC XM193 is good to go, though.

as for keeping it dry, proper sealant will keep the shit dry inside for quite some time. for long term storage, a .50 ammo can, with a good seal, and a desicant pack inside will last at least 10 years if not opened.

as for taking a plung in your gear: there are drain holes in the mag, (which will be upside down anyways), and drain holes in the mag pouches. any residual water won't bother the powder if you're using M193 spec ammo.