Keep my Maxima or...go for 240SX

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bijangxe, Jul 13, 2004.

1. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

Here's the deal, I want to havea boosted (turbo preferebly) car, there are turbo Maximas, but...it costs SO much to make it run right. But the outcome can create over 450hp.

I've got an auto Maxima, so....the 1st thing I'd HAVE to do is either build my auto tranny, or swap to 5spd. Both are gona cost around $2k.

I LOVE the 97 240sx body style, yet they are very rare. But, the 95, 96 model is also one I'd go for. If I got one, I'd plan on gettin a RB20DET or SR20DET (whats better??) - and havin that as my daily driver....(if I sold my Maxima).

What would you do?

2. d-ta

d-ta Guest

depends. are you gonna need a 4 door car or can you live w/ a 2 door? gonna run it at the track as well? can you live with the down time of having doing all that work to your maxima?

personally, i'd go w/ a 240 (not just cuz i have one). it's rwd, light, and has a pretty good amount of aftermarket support. now, i'm not very familiar with the amount of money it costs to turbo a maxima, but as for swapping an RB or an SR into a 240, it's ROUGHLY $5k give or take a few K depending on whether you install the engine yourself, whether the engine you buy needs a rebuild, etc. as of late you can pick up RB20's fairly cheap. I've seen them go for as low as $1200 + shipping from venus auto. SR prices on the other hand are skyrocketing due to the increased demand and the whole "jdm/drift" trend. plus, I6 > I4 ;) also, i'm not sure about how stringent emissions out in GA, but you might wanna keep in mind that swapping either RB/SR into an OBDII 96+ 240sx will obviously not allow you to pass emissions if they scan the OBDII system.

finally, you can check all the big 240sx forums' classified section if you're looking for a kouki s14 (97+ 240sx). i've seen an S14 with an SR already swapped in it go for $7k. good luck with your decision:

http://www.zilvia.net
    http://www.240sxforums.com
    http://www.club240.com
    http://forums.freshalloy.com
    http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com

3. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

4. JDM RICE

JDM RICE Off-Topic OG Lurker

buy mine

5. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

pics...

6. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

7. JDM RICE

JDM RICE Off-Topic OG Lurker

8. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

damn, thats beautiful.......but too much for me

9. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

Is it better to boost the KA? The way I see it, if a motor COMES stock turbocharged...it was MEANT to be boosted. Not necessarily saying the KA or even the VQ cant handle it....but....just my thought.

10. d-ta

d-ta Guest

well, some member of my local forum have been running stock internal ka for several years pushing 300-350hp from an fmax stage 2 kit. another member with a built motor and t66 is pushing approximately 536hp off his setup. turbo ka is the route i'm going mainly cuz it can still be obdII compliant, relatively cheap, and the displacement of the motor vs. other options of similar price range (SR/RB). all in all, don't rule out the turbo ka.

11. Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham New Member

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. If you can find a 240SX with less than 100k miles, it should be ok. But my only main concern would be that the previous owners have not taken care of it. If you know what you're doing as far as tuning and turbos go, I'd try to turbo charge the KA. If you're new to the game and don't know too much about turbos and such, I'd go with the SR.

12. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

I'm not TOO new to the game. I'll see what happens though.

13. synthgti

synthgti Ride for Vengeance

A 5 speed tranny will NOT cost you $2k.

14. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

Umm....lets think about this. Ok yeah, 240 hands down. Far more tuning capabilities not to mention the car has some performance value from the start...unlike the maxima.

15. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

Tranny ALONE costs up to $1k. I'd get all new parts such as rods, seals, resivoir.......yes it can, EASILY

16. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

Umm, you're not nearly 50% correct. Stock VQ30DE motors CAN put down 400+ HP to the ground. Turbo, injectors....etc. It IS a performance sedan. The 240 however is a sport/performance coupe and RWD. Which ARE pros over the Maxima.

17. d-ta

d-ta Guest

it CAN put down 400+ hp, but how much work must be put into it compared to an SR or an RB? Both SR and RB have seen 400+ hp on a stock bottom-end. Not too sure how much boost an n/a vq could handle. I mean if it will support 400+ hp, then go for it.

18. teejay

teejay Guest

vq30's are dirty little things, with a lot of time and money needed to make them strong enough to put down power reliably.

one with stock internals may make 400

but for how long? a day a week a month?

it would make a better sleeper though.

in terms of an engine for a 240sx - it would be the sr20 for sure - most aftermarket support most r&d from japan, and a good all round engine.

Tom

19. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

Thats what I'm trying to find out. I know almost all that needs or can be done to the VQ.

The highest dyno I've seen on a VQ w/ stock internals is 476hp 510 TQ

20. d-ta

d-ta Guest

21. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

come on ....
    240 > maxima big time

22. teejay

teejay Guest

how long did it last?

23. Evil_Ookami

Evil_Ookami New Member

I don't want to go into explaining this but, simply put if you are going to get a rb series motor. get the rb25det. its a larger displacement that the rb20 and you don't have to deal with squeezing the twin turbos on the rb26. If you want a simple easy to deal with swap go with the sr. everyone does it, well actually everyone does all these swaps. regardless of which direction you go, you can pull the same amount of power out of the motors it just depends on how much money you want to spend. I personally have a 95 240sx. I love the car, hate the fact that don't have money to put into it. I also saw you mention something about 450hp. i don't know if that your target goal for hp but thats alot for a daily driver, that car would be a pain to drive/commute in.

24. arro

arro Guest

My $0.02:

S14 is considered to be the most balanced chassis for Nissans (2nd Gen 240SX). Best engine to go with is the CA18DET, it's not as weak as the SR20DET, and there's plenty of aftermarket for it. You can support 400+hp on one with the right mods. Only a fool or novice thinks about putting an RB series into an S-series chassis. There's no need for it. And it;sd alot of extra work, since the SR, CA, and FJ engines will mount right in with no screwballing, and are all in their own rights fine engines with lots of potential.

25. d-ta

d-ta Guest

explain to me what's so foolhardy about putting an RB into any s-chassis and how the hell is a ca18 supposed to be the best engine? you can support 400+hp on ANY engine with the right mods.