Keep access to network printer while connected to remote network via VPN?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Mar 30, 2007.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If someone has a home network with a printer attached to the network, the computer prints to it via IP no problem. But when the computer connects to another network via VPN, access to the network printer is lost. I understand that when you establish a VPN link, its as if you're on that remote network and that remote network has no knowledge of your local 192.168.1.x network.

Is there some way to keep access to that local network printer and use it while the VPN is up? Some setting change in Windows or the VPN client?

2. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I would think so. Considering you can configure split tunneling on a VPN. Which basically says, any traffic going to the remote nework rides on the VPN and all web traffic stays local.

I just don't have a windows machine, or the same (most likely) VPN client that you have to figure it out.

3. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

what kind of printer and model.

With some canon models you can send the document to the printer. with some models you can send the document across your off or across the planet. I would depend on the model though.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Its a Dell 3110 color laser.

5. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

I know you can do it.

I have a customer that prints on their irc3200 from germany to the location here in texas all the time. I am not sure how they do it. I will ask if I see them, but I doubt they will call before I am no longer with the company.

one of the network guru here can probaly help more, I can use the information as well just to know for my own notes.

6. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

He's asking about printing to a local printer while connected to a remote network via VPN. Not printing to a printer on the remote network over the VPN.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Doesn't get lost on my network. Just tried it. I don't know what the problem is in your case but there's nothing inherently wrong.