Katana 600 as first bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by HardTech, Aug 15, 2003.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I know what you're all going to say.. "squid, at least take the MSF class first"

I am looking for either a 250-400CC sport bike or a 250-600CC cruiser. However, if I found a deal on a F3 or F2, I would've preferred that instead.

Anyway, I found out about a Katana 600 that had been laid down. Some garage is fixing the mirrors and the turn signal, and they're selling it for $1500. Of course I'm going to check everything out and make sure it's running before I buy anything, but I was just wondering what kind of bikes are the Katana. Are they faster than the average 600? Do they handle well? Is it relatively hard for a beginner compared to a CBR600?

The reason I think I can handle a 600 is because I don't go fast and I won't show off by doing stupid shit. The bike is to get me from home to class and vice versa, and maybe even going back to my hometown once a week.

But like I said, I'd prefer to start at 250. It's just that 600CC doesn't turn me off the way most people say it should.

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

The Katana is more of an entry-level 600. It has slightly less power than the other 600s, are a bit heavier, and are oil cooled instead of water. They are good first bikes though.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

it was 3 posts below yours :p

6. HardTech

HardTech hungry

:(

I sat on a Yamaha YZF-600R. I really liked the way that looked and felt.. how are these for beginners? The salespeople steered me towards this bike after I told them I have absolutely no riding experience

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

much mroe forgiving than an R6 id guess right around where the katana is but i woulnt get a new one unless you dont mind destroying a new bike

8. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

i had no riding experiance previous, i bought a katana 600 a month ago, and i personally think its a good starter bike, not hella fast but not slow. As long as you can somewhat control yourself youll be fine with it.

9. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I don't want a new bike for my first bike, I'm just trying to see what models I should look out for

besides, I'm just shopping now.. I don't have any money to buy a bike right now.

10. hoax

hoax Guest

Only people that buy Katana's, are people that don't know much about bikes. Well, thats been my personal expierence.

11. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Craptana?

12. HardTech

HardTech hungry

well, I just wanted to see how they are. I've heard lots of good things about the FZR600, and there's one in the classifieds in a city about an hour away.. 1996 with 7k miles for $2,600. It seems decent, I might call him up and ask him if I can look at it sometime.

13. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Motherfuckin :werd:

14. DOHCme

DOHCme Guest

I took the MSF and started on my current bike '97 GSXR 600, Im not dead yet, and still havent dropped it in the past two years. Some people can handle it and some people cant. Do You trust yourself? its your ass.. I know people that didnt even pass the MSF classes after they had already been riding for months.

15. Volkl

Volkl New Member

You know what? My first bike was a Katana 600. I recommend it. It is a fun bike to own, and a good bike to start on. Enough power to get you in trouble, but not too much. Girls don't know the difference between a Katana 600 and a R1, so you will get as much attention from those not in the know of motorcyles. I say do it, and I apologize if any of this doesn't make sense, I am really drunk

16. HardTech

HardTech hungry

well, I decided against it. The only 600 I'm going to get is either an older CBR or a 600R if I find a great deal on it.

otherwise, I'm going to be looking for something smaller

17. PatrickB

PatrickB I bring you the pancake bunny!

I have owned an R6 a katana 600 and have ridden many other bikes. Dont listen to people that say katana's suck. They are mostly people that have never ridden or owned one and are just jumping on the bandwagon.

18. Wolf

Wow! That means......................................

Jack shit.

19. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

i really reccoment the katana for a first bike...not really anything horribly wrong with them

20. HardTech

HardTech hungry

yeah, the most powerful 600 I'd go with would either be a F3 or a YZF-600R if the price is right

and there happens to be a 1997 YZF-600R for $3000 in my local paper right now :)

21. castrolr1

castrolr1 Guest

IMO... i would stay away from the katana... i started on an old hurricane 600.. then an F2 .. i was ridding the hurricane in 1990.. as far as the katana.. it made me nervous with the handling.. it didn't feel balanced to me or something.. never rode one again.. you can't go wrong with the honda if that is what you like

22. HardTech

HardTech hungry

well, I already put down $600 for a 1988 Honda Hawk NT650. No worries about handling here :)

23. Wolf

:bigthumb: :bigthumb:
    Honda Hawk = Hotness

24. HardTech

HardTech hungry

yeah.. I was smitten after seeing pictures of it, and I couldn't believe that I was actually seeing the bike when I first saw it.

and the guy selling it is really cool too.. willing to work with me and my budgetary contraints (college student). I can't wait to ride