MMA karate = good alternative for muay thai

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Feb 29, 2008.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:dunno:

appears to be so in some instances.

chuck liddell - kenpo
    gsp - kyokushin
    machida - shotokan

they all cause major problems for other fighters when striking (especially on timing, more so for gsp and especially for machida).

however, anderson silva's and fedor's striking share the same attributes in that they properly use their distance when striking and expertly work for the optimum angles.

2. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Kyokushin i agree with very much. It very much like thai boxing in alot of instances but at the core is very different.

I recently went to my friend's Wing Chung school (he and his wife train there and He wanted me to tech them some wrestling. The teacher is extremely open to other styles and it was nice to see.). I did the whole class, front kicks used for as a strike than a teep, round kicks, etc...

The main difference was the punching style and the stance especially. everything was used as a chain each strike was a setup to another strike. Each counter or block a setup to attack. Their ranging was also veryy different. They weren't outside like a boxer of Mt guy nor were they in clinch range they were in this grey area. I couldn;t get full extenstion on my punches but they were just outside of standing knee range. Did some bloxking drills with them, interesting stuff. alot of small pulls just to get you opponent sightly off balance like mini armdrags done at pivital points of the arm.

I did some sparring with them, my kicks worked beautifully I landed pretty much wherever i wanted to but I hardly used my hands at all their stance was very center line and moderately outstretched. straight punches would have worked but would leave my centerline open for their specialty attacks of chain punching the center line hooks they were too far away for.

When I sparred the coach actually told me to take down his students and to work from there, he wanted them to understand the other styles and how Wing Chung is not the end all be all, that there were more things to know and learn form others. His longest student had a lidell like ability to get up from guard except without using a wall. Pretty impressive.

An interesting and fun experience.

3. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:bigthumb:
    interesting about the centerline stance, just being a bit further out of reach.
    from what ive heard and researched kyokushin is based off shotokan with a more full contact approach.

4. Kuet

Kuet New Member

kyokushin is pretty hardcore, the advanced fights happen bare knuckled but i dont think you can punch to the face, so its all body shots and lots of kicks.....everywhere !!

also i believe glaube feitosa the was also originally a student of kyokushin...
    thats where he got that awesome " brazillian kick " from .

5. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

Hukyou Kata Ichi

6. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

If you can find a legit place

Most karate in America is fucking retarded

7. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

9. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

check out the Fight Quest Kyokushin episode. Its pretty crazy.

10. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Training Karate in Japan, then training Karate down the street at "Karate-Mart" are 2 different things, though.

Then again, I went to a "Muay Thai" gym around here once that used MMA gloves instead of Focus Mitts as punching targets and kicked each other in the legs without pads or shinguards.

Just find a good place to train.

11. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

Definetly. Gotta do some research when looking for a good school.

12. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Holy shit where was that? I went to a Jeet Kun Do gym here and had a similar experience. The practice was kinda pathetic, and they never really pushed you hard. Too me nothing feels as good as being so sore after a practice. I at least feel I'm getting my moneys worth.

13. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

You're telling me my 10 years of TKD at Mom's Karate was worthless?

:wtc: