MMA Kampmann out due to injury

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, May 7, 2007.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

And now the card is gonna suck just that much more.

Martin Kampmann is out of the announced main event for the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s first foray into Northern Ireland. He was scheduled to enter the Octagon to face the #4 ranked middleweight fighter in the world and former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin.

According to his manager, Ken Pavia of Pavia, Ciscone, & Associates, Kampmann injured his knee while wrestling in training last week at UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture’s gym in Las Vegas, Nev.

“Martin’s out,” said Pavia. And it is likely that he may stay that way for the next few months. Pavia stated that they have gone through initial examinations that are indicative of a severe enough injury to keep Kampmann out of the June 16 bout with Franklin, but didn’t want to get into the specifics of the injury until they go through a second examination to accurately verify the extent of the damage.

Even if the injury to the knee is the worst of what initial examinations indicate, which would likely include surgery and Kampmann being out of action for the next 6 months or so, Pavia was optimistic.

“Martin is obviously devastated. He was really looking forward to fighting Rich Franklin in a UFC main event,” said Pavia. “But many guys have come back from much more devastating injuries and we’re confident that Martin will be back stronger than ever.”

Kampmann made his successful UFC debut in August of 2006 with a submission of Crafton Wallace after a one-fight stint in the World Fighting Alliance. Wallace was the first of three consecutive UFC victories for the Aarhus, Denmark native, which also included a unanimous decision over Thales Leites and a submission of Miletich fighter Drew McFedries at UFC 68.

With a professional MMA record of 15-2, Kampmann was just gaining momentum and rising through the ranks of the UFC. A win over Franklin would have likely propelled him into title contender status and possibly landed him a shot at the winner of the Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt UFC Middleweight Championship fight scheduled for July 7 in Sacramento, Calif.

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

i was hoping for Linland :noes:

But I don't see that happening :(

3. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Bummer, I was actually looking forward to this fight. The card may not be the best but the price is right. I don't understand why everyone bitches about this card. It's free, it's MMA, and it's free.

4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

damn...i was looking forward to that match

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  5. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

vulgar to start cutting immediately and make weight :x:

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

:eek3:

which UFC is this?

7. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Franklin is now fighting Yushin Okami in the main event.

8. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Rumored

9. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

is this enough time for Okami to prepare?

10. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Okami should be in good shape, he just fought at ADCC so he's just got switch up his trainning and gear it towards mma now.

11. Sylva

Sylva New Member

12. Lester206

Lester206 inc

even though Franklin/Kampmann i think wouldve been more exciting. Franklin/Okami is a more even matchup

13. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i like okami, i think he has a good chance, even though until now he fought guys way smaller than him, rich franklin will be roughly his size, lets see how he handles it