K & N Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Axia, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Axia

Axia Guest

I want everyone's opinions... Is it really worth the $50?? Any noticible difference???

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I've never noticed any power differences with K&N strock replacement filters.

I think the best reason to get one would be for durability, and because it is probably the best filter for keeping dirt out of the engine.

3. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

its not noticable, people may say they felt a differencebut its in their head, if your completly stock and dont do anything abnormal you dont really need it

4. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

The only difference is that you don't have to keep buying filters. You just clean it out when you do an oil change and you should be good to go. Powerwise if you get the conversion kit you may feel a slight difference. But I say save your money and just get the filter itself.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i went to an open element K&N form the stock filter i didnt realy notice anything untill i stuck the stock one back on then i noticed i had no throttle response but i also blame teh computer it was probaly confuse since it was getting much less air ut it smelled like it was running rich but after drving a few weeks with it its running better

6. Otto

if you disconnect the battery for like 10-15 min. it kinda clears any programming that the computer stores on your driving data and how the engine runs, if you change something thatll have an effect on the engine its good to make the computer kinda start from scratch and relearn stuff, helps it to run better

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yeah i knwo this but then ill lose my eq settings on my radio :wtc: you can allso make a jumper form a paper clip and short teh first too pins on yoru computer harness

8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I definitely noticed an improvement in my car when I went to an open element K&N cone, but it's turbocharged, so that makes a difference.

9. Scuba

Scuba New Member

what you mean by open element? do u have a cold air intake with a hole in the front of the filter or what?

10. Otto

open element air filters are designed to sit out in the open completely exposed to everything while other filters are supposed to stay inside a well enclosed space, like the airbox
    [​IMG]
    see the air filter is completely exposed

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

otto, do you have the 2.2?

12. ive had K&Ns on my last 2 trucks.. the 99 dodge had the FIPK and yes there was a diffrence in throttle response.. it was a lil more agressive, as for HP dont count on that.. they say 10-15 and well be happy if ya get 1-2...

on my 02 ford i swapped the stock filter for the K&N i really didnt notice much diffrence in the throttle response since this truck is still stock at thei time but when the TB gets ported and the new exhaust goes on there will be a nice difference with all those mods combinied..

all in all id say surf the net and find a cheap one i got mine for 30 bucks but that was local.. if your going to do other stuff like exhaust and such.. save your $$ for a FIPK or volant cold air intake or whatever you prefer..

13. Otto

yea

14. troutie

troutie New Member

K&Ns don't filter as well as regular filters, you'll have also use a foam filter with it to be filtering closer to a regular filter. it's worth it because it's reusable though, on larger displacment engines it will also help throttle response

15. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

they filter better than normal filters, especially once they're dirty. they filter better as they get dirtier, since the dirt and oil help act to fill the gaps.

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i knwo this but i am also lazy and busy at the same time evantualy i planned to make a cold air kit for it but now im looking more twoards painting and selling it i realy want to do a v8 s10 teh the 4x4 with ac are a bitch to do but with a bravada t case awd v8 s10=blast in snow

17. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ive got that book defntly a must have for the swap

18. blazer

blazer Guest

Like any other product, it works better in conjuction with other parts. For example, if you want the car to breathe better, go with a K&N funnel ram, which is what you've got now, and then open the exhaust up a little bit. There are a lot of catback exhausts out there for a pretty decent price ($300ish). You'll definitely notice the difference then.