MMA K-1 HERO'S Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Sounds like a great event, I want to see the Akiyama fights.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Trying to take down an experienced judo master = you end up in a bad position

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

akiyama is tough as hell.. i just watched the fight

4. chechen

JZ must have a realllllly good guillotine choke. incredible to catch someone like rani in that. (either that, or work) :p

5. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

:bowdown:
    AKIYAMA!! just got done watching...i thought he was done in the beginning

6. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

suprised anyone disagrees with the Uno vs Menjivar decision...i thought Uno dominated that match

edit: nvm...i didn't realize they had a LW tourny that night too...didn't see the finals match yet

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  7. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Edumicate me on K1 please. I was under the impression that it was kick boxing (the only events that I have seen were traditional kick boxing matches)... but they also have mma and/or grappling style matches??

8. chechen

k-1 has mma events as well now. and theyre pretty good actually

9. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

pretty cool fights, alot of finishes which i was excited about, only like what? 1 decision? Fucking :bowdown: to akiyama, that was just beautiful what he did, i went :eek3: when melvin tried taking him down and he just fucking reversed in mid-air and ended up on mount, and that armbar came out of fucking nowhere, i haven't watched too many fights of his, but now i'll be watching

10. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

yeah i was :hsugh:ing when he was running backwards, but i guess he was just trying to protect himself, manhoef has some solid punches.

and :bowdown: to newton for those uppercuts as well :rofl: thats like his first knockout :bowrofl:

11. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

and that JZ guy looked really good tonight, he would be a good matchup against yamamoto

12. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

also kazuyuki miyata looked very good tonight, i don't know much about him but he looks like a good fighter

13. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

he's an olympic gold medalist in wrestling...he's the one who got KO'd by flying knee by Kid :o

14. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

:eek3: oh so he's the guy from the highlight reels :o

15. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

anyone know why don frye was pissed off at kim min soo at the staredown? kim min soo always fights with the worst gameplans

16. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i think when they went to the staredowns kim got too close and frye pushed him away, you can kinda see it before they zoom in on the fighters.

also lol @ Tokoro tripping down the stairs when he's walking in and the camera cutting to the ring really quickly :rofl:

17. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

:rofl: ill have to check that out...missed that

18. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

howd you guys watch this?? i went on the tracker, and it said im not a member anymore :wtc:. is it cuz i didnt use it in like 2 months?

19. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

secret to the secret hardcore voodoo :x:

20. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

Akiyama is 100% korean blooded just so you know :o

21. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

i know :bowdown:

2 koreans to hold titles this year?? :x: go kang!!

nun, link to the event?? pm me?

22. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

why you think that?

23. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

:mamoru: flyingnun finally has a fighter to be proud of :mamoru:

24. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

25. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

interesting post on Akiyama from sherdog....

Akiyama's nationality is an interesting story. I just saw the whole story for the first time on a pre-event show. He was born in Japan, but with Korean nationality. Kind of an odd thing here, but Koreans in Japan are really in a separate society within Japan; they have Japanese names as well as their Korean name, but many go to Korean schools, live in Korean neighborhoods, associate with other Korean families and generally just live in a separate society. Some people kind of "blend in", but many fiercely maintain their pride as Koreans. Akiyama's parents are definitely in the "proud Korean" group.

Akiyama's father was a 7th dan in Judo, so Akiyama was exposed to judo at a young age when his dad would bring him to the dojo while training. He became good at judo, started winning competitions, and got to a level where he thought he could go to the olympics. Since his nationality was Korean, he went to Korea to compete there, and try for a spot on the Olympic team.

Unfortunately the head of the Korean Judo Federation at the time, was very loyal to the university he went to, and basically arranged competitions so that the judokas from that university pretty much always won their matches due to judging preference. Akiyama got treated like shit, "losing" matches that he obviously won, and was excluded from a spot on the Olympic team due to this favoritism for that specific university's judokas.

So after years of feeling like a 2nd class citizen treated poorly in Japan, he was doubly disappointed to wind up being far more disrespected in Korea by "his own people". So he went back to Japan, and took the very big step of changing his nationality to Japanese (which was something he could barely bring himself to tell his parents he was going to do) so he could try out for the Japanese Olympic judo team. This of course made many Koreans just totally hate him as a traitor. He did well in competition in general, but failed to make the Olympic team in Japan as well; though this time not due to dodgy judging.

Anyway, it's all a great dramatic, tear jerker story that the Japanese fans just love -- mom crying by ringside and can't even watch the fight, etc. So I think he will continue to be quite popular. You may have noticed they made a point of showing his face and his parents' faces at ringside as the Japanese national anthem was played for him -- you could tell there was a lot of mixed emotions there for them.