Just tweaked my lower back v.IDIOT

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 10SE, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10SE

10SE New Member

Last fucking rep on deads, and I let my form slip. Looked down for a split second while setting the weight back down, and instantly felt "the pull". Fucking dumbass!

FUCK! FUCK!! FUCK!!!

Anyway... the damage is done. Besides heat, Advil, and upping my protein intake, what can I do in the short term to help myself recover? :wtc:

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Ice for the first 24 hours, then heat.

Short term? The above, ibuprofen and rest.

Longer term- stretching may help a bit, but you just got an unlucky break is all. Good luck recovering.

3. Basic101

Basic101 New Member

Your back is proboably fine give it like two days rest and see if it still hurts.

4. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

I get the same thing from time to time on 1-3RM's just take it easy for a day or 2

5. Basic101

Basic101 New Member

Yea people dont realize how bad a herniated disc hurts, if you can still walk to your car and drive home and not wanna kill the old lady next to you at the stop light from pain your most likely fine.

6. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I did that when I hit a rack pull PR last Friday. Felt shitty but the whole weekend I've been pounding 800mg of Advil 3-4x a day and hot tubbing it a good bit.

Hopefully I'm ready to roll by Fridays pull session, its already feeling a lot better.

7. 10SE

10SE New Member

Cool. Thanks guys. You're making me feel a little better. :hs:

I definitely don't feel like it was crippling, like a herniated disk, because I was able to strip the bar down to 135 and re-rack it without falling over on the floor. I've just never had ANY kind of back injury before.

Scared the shit out of me.

I'll take a couple days off and see how it feels.

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

reverse hypers

9. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

SQUATS AN' MILK!!! :rofl:

10. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

This is why I won't push myself to the limits on deads. a lot of the strong guys on this forum hurt their backs and lose a ton of strength recovering.

11. Basic101

Basic101 New Member

Lower back injuries are not from heavy deads. Deads strengthen your erectors but doesnt exactly strength your discs/tendons. Ive done half reps on deads without a belt and never had a herniated disc.

Do these to strengthen your tendons in your lower back http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/guides/Adult%20LBP%20Exercises.pdf

12. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I guess you don't want to big and strong then? This is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard!! I've been maxing out on the dead for 15 years and I have never hurt my lower back!!!

13. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Pulling a muscle in your back can really fuck you over for the next couple of days. Every time I do it, it hurts for the rest of the day, but nothing too bad. The next morning I can hardly move, and it stays super tight for the next 4-5 days. From there, its a week or more of gradual recovery.

Maybe my back just sucks, but the only advice I can give you is rest until it feels great. It's better to wait an extra day or two then to fuck it up again and have to wait an extra week or two.

14. Basic101

Basic101 New Member

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/guides/Adult LBP Exercises.pdf

15. Memor

Memor Active Member

I did this recently - best way to do it is give it 4-5 days of rest, icing, ibuprofen

head to the gym after that and do non-back light exercises, because no matter what your back is used in everything to some extent, even standing up - and if it hurts in that spot the slightest bit you know to take another 3-4 days off to fully heal it. light stretching towards the end of the recovery helps too. hope it heals up fast!

16. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Worst advice ever. The last thing you want to do with a back injury is lay around and have your SO wait on you hand and foot. As good as it feels to imobalize yourself and veg out on the couch useing your back is the only way you make a quick recovery from the injury.

I don't mean throw on weights and work through it just don't lay around. Moveing around walking etc.

17. Basic101

Basic101 New Member

Well duh, Im saying dont go lift heavy weights in the gym for a couple days

18. 10SE

10SE New Member

Ok... so... squats, milk, and tussin. And, make my wife feed me grapes. Awesome. :o

It's impossible for me to veg out. I can't take the time off work. In fact, I'm at work right now, twelve-pound duty belt strapped around my waist, jacked up on 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours, hoping that I don't have to wrestle anyone tonight. I won't be off again until Thursday. :hs:

It's very sore. But, so far, it's manageable, as long as I don't sit still for very long.

I'm gonna try a 20-mile bike ride in the morning, if I can move. If Floyd Landis can do it... :x:

Thanks again for all the replies, guys. As soon as it happened, I thought I was REALLY injured, and was gonna be down for the count for a while. After reading the replies, taking a hot shower, and the first dose of Advil, I'm not quite as alarmed as I was. I mean... I know I hurt it. But, I think I'm realizing it's not as bad as I first thought.

19. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

ibuprofen in large doses (read:2400mg/day, read:theamountyouweretaking) has shown to inhibit protein synthesis in muscular tissue and does very little for muscle pain :hs:

and

though I'm sure the occasional high-dose of advil isnt going to do shit, just interesting to know, as i'm sure some people go home and pop a few advil everyday after their workout to treat their sore muscles.

20. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Better to take ibuprofen and get better, worry abotu the training later. I'm advocating ibu after injuries, not after every training session.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.