Just took MSF this weekend... Bike Purchase?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ZoRphic, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

Okay... so like the subject states, I took the MSF safety course this past weekend haven never riden on a bike before and loved it. They gave the course on little Suzuki 125cc motorcycles.

As for my bike situation, I currently don't own one but am seriously considering purchasing one. I'm not looking for a sports bike... more along the lines of a standard. I want something that is fairly responsive in terms of handling. I also would like the bike to have enough power where I don't have to purchase a new one in 3 months along with enough exceleration for comfortable highway riding.

My instructed told me that the Honda Magna may be a good bike for me to start off with. A student at the course and stated that he feels that the Ducati Monster (he owns one) is a great bike. what do you guys think?

2. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Good bike to kill yourself with. :rofl:

3. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

Hmm so I'm assuming the Ducati is a dangerous bike? I thought so too but I really don't know anything about bikes

4. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

What about the Honda Magna?

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I need to just copy this to a txt file...

It really depends on your maturity and your physical size. A 150lb kid would have a fine time on a 600cc bike whereas a 6'4" 240lb guy would be more comfortable on bigger.
    Since you aren't looking for sportbikes, your options are enormous. Cruisers and standards abound and if you drive responsibly, it comes down to how it fits you.

6. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

yeah well i figured i'd rather start out as a beginner on a cruiser or standard being that I won't be tucked away on the bike in a more agressive riding position. I still need loads of practice, especially in the breaking area and would love to get a bike that is relative to my ability. its tough for me because im not all too familiar with motorcycles... i just really never followed the market and it seems like there are sooo many options to choose from. i figured asking a fairly vague/broad question on here would render a somewhat specific few bikes for a beginner.

By the way i am about 5'10 and 175lbs. As for maturity level, I am taking the whole motorcycle experience extremely seriously... i know and have heard of many people involved in accidents resulting in deaths or serious injuries

7. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

I remember my MSF class. Some guy said hes been riding bikes for, about 8 years. On the course, he stalled the bike, fell over about 3 times and failed the test at the end :o

8. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

wow thats terrible. yeah a lot of individuals claimed they have ridden before, some more than others. strange though, i ended up scoring the best on the road course (-3) lol. im extremely confused with the damn bike purchase...and i really only want to spend about 1500 on it.

9. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

I used a Honda Rebel for my msf class :dunno:

10. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

i had a little 125cc

11. mtnbikekid08

Tell you what, 1500 ain't gonna buy you a Monster. :rofl:
    Nah, but that lower budget will restrict you to lower power bikes for the most part, though this is probably be in your advantage.
    Me, I search craigslist for bikes when you got so little to work with.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

Magna's a nice bike, but like Vermincelli said it depends on you.

I went to MSF course and bought this the next week, but it's good for me.

[​IMG]

What you get has to work for you. Magna may be a good choice, but have you ever ridden one? You may not fit on it. You may like a Honda Nighthawk better (or worse).

Best advice I got was go to a consignment place (because they have all makes and models) and sit on ALL of the ones that are even close to what you think you might like. See what feels right, then buy it.

13. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

That sounds like a good plan. One of my instructors is selling a Honda CB360T so I think I may go check that out. Seems like it would be a good starter bike and probably cheap

14. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

One factor that people tend to not really take into account is usage. Are you going to be using it around town only? any freeway use? high traffic congestion or open roads? parking?

Next, insurance. Always a good idea to check rates before you commit.

All the big hoopla about "OMG YOU HAVE TO START ON 600cc OR LESS FOR A STARTER OR YOU'LL DIE!!!" usually comes from sportbikers who all want to jump on a racebike to start out with because they want to be cool with their friends. ANY bike though can get you killed if you are a squid, including that Vespa moped.

When it comes to cruisers though USUALLY you are looking at less horsepower but lower RPMs and more torque for better drivability in traffic/town. Essentially the better setup for new riders.

As for money, $1500 is definitely used category, but remember this... dealerships will not work on bikes older than 10 years old nowadays. So looking at old bikes also means you have to consider your level of mechanical ability and also parts availability. Alot of "sweet deals" are "sweet deals" because the person selling can't get parts or the parts are outrageously priced. $1500 though will get you just about everything out there, just depends on the condition :).

I can't even give you a list of bikes because seriously, when it comes to used models, the sky's the limit as to what you can find out there. Just go try them out. At 5'10", you will find some models where you are going to be less comfortable and have harder times straddling with both feet on the ground. Just don't rule out anything that fits you, fits what you want to use it for, won't leave you wanting 6 months down the road as you grow in skills and ability.

15. 5.0 Stanger

5.0 Stanger New Member

sv650...costs less than the monster...less to maintain....and its suzukis response to the monster

16. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

How do you guys feel about the suzuki sv650 as a first bike?

17. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Everyone told me to start with a smaller bike then trade up as my skills improved. I didn't listen to them because my xp has been that I'm usually too lazy to trade up. So I just bought what I wanted from the start.

A 1200 CC bike scared me at first and it took awhile for me to really feel comfortable on it. Now I love it and I'm so glad I didn't buy small. I'm a fast learner and a careful rider so I grew into it in no time.

Everyone's different tho. No reason to buy more than you're comfortable with or a tad over that....then you're more likely to enjoy and keep on riding.

18. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

yeah im somewhat up in the air about a bike purchase... i guess i just have to jump on a few and see what i feel comfortable on

19. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

yeah im somewhat up in the air about a bike purchase... i guess i just have to jump on a few and see what i feel comfortable on

20. mtnbikekid08

If you are just riding around town, the last thing you need is a 1200cc monster of a bike. Hell, if you can find one, a bandit 400 would be just fine.

21. luxy

luxy Active Member

The SV is a great starter bike, I just sold mine this spring, and if you're looking for a more upright model the SV650 standard version should fit the bill nicely (not that the SV650S is really all that aggressive)

22. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

sv650 is good to start with and still fun when you get good at riding.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

again it depends on size/maturity/skill.
    I use my Yamaha Venture as my daily driver now. Haven't touched my Honda 400 in months.

24. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

check the sv650, its gonna be tame enough for you to start on and it'll also keep you happy for a long time. they're very competent bikes that can take you to a track and let you have fun and also let you take long trips and still be comfortable.

you can also probably find one of the 1st gens in your price range.

i also believe in starting out as small displacement as you are comfortable on, because it will force you to develop your skills since you wont have that extra power to make up for your lack of skill. instead of being able to run into a turn really slow then power out, you'll learn how to maximize your corner speed. as far as the lack of power goes, i've seen plenty of people on way underpowered bikes stomp guys that are on bigger bikes simply because they know how to use their bikes capabilities without scaring the crap out of themselves or pushing themselves beyond their limits.

i'm coming from the perspective that you're looking to do twisties though.

also look at the bandit 600 if you want a 4cyl instead of a twin. it will be a bit cheaper and is still has the motor from a mid-80's to early 90's gsxr600 so its still going to have plenty of power to keep you happy for a while without being too much to handle

25. Jerm

Jerm I

Really good 1st bike option, still have mine after 3 seasons of riding that included numerous trackdays and track schools :)

They are very easy bikes to work on and can not only teach you a lot about riding, but maintenance too.

Upgrades to the bike are plenty, many suspension components can be used as upgrades to the SV from GSXRs, 636s, and R1s. I currently have GSXR front forks and a Kawi 636 rear shock on mine :big grin: