Just the facts ma'am

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Sgt. Friday, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

The gf and I joined the gym together in the beginning of February. She's been training for 2 years and I'm just getting into it. I wasn't sure I was going to last this long but I'm starting to gain a little interest in it.

I've been going 4 days a week around 5pm after work. I've been seeing a bunch of guys primarily doing the same thing so I have been taking notes and making my own routine based on what I've been reading, seeing and experimenting with.

I'm not really concerned with how I look, although I'm considered "skinny" (5'11 160lbs) I just want to get strong and I think a biproduct of strength will be muscle. I'm currently learning how to deadlift and i've been working on my squat form as well. I'm really not concerned with what weight I'm using right now, I want to get used to how its performed. I come from an ice hockey background and the only training they insisted on what cardiovascular and a lot of ab work.

so today I did the following:

height: 5'11
    weight: 162lbs

free weight squats
    set 1: 135lbs/10 reps
    set 2: 135/10
    set 3: 155/10
    set 4: 155/10
    set 5: 185/3

standing lunges, alternating legs
    set 1: just the bar/20
    set 2: 95lbs/15
    set 3: 95/15
    set 4: 105/12

leg extensions on machine
    3 sets of 15 with the pin at 85lbs

leg curls on machine
    3 sets of 15 with the pin at 110lbs

cool down of 25 minutes on the bike. ​

I want a heavy deadlift, so my goal is to be doing 600lbs on deadlift by June '10. I'll be continuing to record my progress by video. I'm so addicted to this exercise.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

Chest Exercises

So my legs are still a little sore from the other day so I couldn't do deadlifts today, I decided to do a little chest work instead.

Flat Bench Press
    Set 1: 95lbs/10 resp
    Set 2: 105/10 reps
    Set 3: 115/10 reps
    Set 4: 125/10 reps
    Set 5: 135/6 reps

Dumbbell Flys on the flat bench
    Set 1: 15lb/12
    Set 2-4: 20lb/10
    Set 5: 25/5 reps

Incline bench press
    Set 1-3: 95/8
    Set 4: 95/6
    Set 5: 105/3

Parallel Bar Raises
    set 1: 12 reps
    set 2: 10 reps
    set 3: 11 reps

cool down 15 minutes on the bike​

Today wasn't all bad. I didn't expect to enjoy the chest work as much but I switched up a few exercises and did them a little out of order than usual. I also added the parallel bar raises and it burned my arms like hell.

3. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

Have you ever done deads before? What are you pulling currently?

4. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

I'm addicted to this exercise. I'm currently doing 185lbs, but I stress that I'm concentrating on my form, nothing more. I did do 225 just to test my limit and it seemed fairly easy.

5. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

It was a good day for deadlifting. I wanted to try the other methods that I've been reading all about but I decided to stick with my method today, and I'm glad I did.

Deadlifts
    Set 1: 135 warmed up and stretched the legs and back out
    Set 2: 185 for 3 reps
    Set 3: 205/3 reps
    Set 4: 225/1 (could have done the 3)
    Set 5: 245/1

I then put 315 on the bar to see what it looked like, I'll get it next month​

6. mandrew

mandrew New Member

dragnet :coold:

7. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

8. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

Next month is only 3 days away. I have my work cut out...

9. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

but it lasts for 31 days.

10. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

My hip has been bothering me, I wanted to squat but I put it off and did shoulders/traps instead

Warm up 45lb bar presses

dumbbell presses seated
    Set 1: 30lbs/10 reps
    Set 2-4: 35/8 reps
    Set 5: 50/3 (wanted to see if I could do it)

Front raises on cable
    Set 1-4: pin at 25/12 reps

Side raises with dumbbells
    set 1: 15/8 reps
    set 2: 15/9
    set 3: 15/9
    set 4: 15/7

shrugs
    60lbs 4 sets of 12

cool down 25 minutes on the bike.​

11. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

I stretched out for 15 minutes, I did as much as I could for my hip flexors and it worked out, wasn't totally gone but it helped.

Free weight squats
    Set 1: 135/12
    Set 2: 155/10
    Set 3: 155/10
    Set 4: 185/8 (whoa)
    Set 5: 205/unracked stepped out and something felt funny so I put it back

hamstring curls laying down
    set 1-4: 15/pin at 115

leg extensions
    Set 1-4 12/90 lbs

Leg presses
    Set 1-3 4 45lb plates on each side for 12 reps

cool down 12 minutes on bike.

body weight 159lbs​

12. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

Cardio today

45 minutes on the bike.

13. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

I suppose I can use this log like a blog?

I have a question to anyone that reads this: how many of you are dedicated to squating? I've been going to the gym now for almost 6 weeks and i swear I'm the only one with the exception of maybe 2 big monster powerlifters taht squat. i've been reading a lot of your logs and a good majority of you seem to be doing them as a part of your regular cycled routine.

Why are squats, since they are such a building block of basic exercise, neglected? Its quite humerous to see guys with puffed pecs and bulging biceps with twig legs ..why?

14. Balzz

Yeah it's strange. At my gym, I've seen maybe 2-3 people squat more than me...but on F&N my squat numbers aren't even worth mentioning.

15. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

I thought of that too. I basically came up with 2 theories. 1, is that by keeping a log and discussing exercise and diet will force one to incorporate all types of exercises such as squats. 2, half BS about exercises and don't squat as often as they should.

However, I'm seeing that damn near everyone is doing so. Am I wrong?

16. ericande

ericande Active Member

People who bother to ask questions in a fitness forum and make a log are likely to be much more serious about it then the average person in a gym, especially a commercial gym. Plus squats take a lot of time and energy and are 'hard,' easier to skip them. Between the 'big' lifts (squats, deads, military press and bench) I only see people bench often at my gym.

17. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

Nobody squats at my gym and if they do it's with limited ROM. I'm definitely in the minority. Only guy who does box squats/front squats. I did see a guy legitimately squatting 300 on saturday though. :cool:

18. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

ya, I'm finally ending my deads with 315/335 and feel weak :hsugh:

theres also 2 brolys at my gym that can do 600 though

19. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

So what makes the internet a special place in which everyone squats? Larger pool of people? What ericande said about people tracking therefore being more serious about it? For me it was the fact that its a staple in any exercise program, and I didn't want to look funny with tiggy legs and a built up upper body.

20. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i think just because people who are serious about it are going to search out the info and wind up here.. the gymrats you see that do frat boy workouts 3 times a week don't take it too seriously and therefore don't spend anymore time on weightlifting then however long it takes them to pump out 19 sets of curls and some bench press. :dunno:

21. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

Yah, thats a good explanation and I think you may be right. I guess why this came to mind was because I saw this guy there the other day that had a perfect upper body build. perfect. he had to be about 6'2 and arms, chest, shoulders were massive and had a very nice tappered waist. He was wearing break away pants and when he took them off he had legs like my sister, it was rather disappointing to say the least. I've seen this guy there often and not once have I seen him squat or do anything with his legs, sad.

22. Balzz

DLed 315 1x3 last night and no back pain this morning. We need a new contest. :big grin:

23. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

Awesome man congrats
    HA! what time of day? :big grin:

becauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse....I got 305. Although you beat me in weight. gimme a second to convert my log

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
  24. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

Was a good day. I evaluated my form and had a guy helping me out. I wasn't getting my hips low enough and had my head down a good majority. I pulled 275 under his guidance and it went up well.

Set 1: 135lbs warm up & stretch
    Set 2: 225 for 1
    Set 3: 255 for 1
    form corrected
    Set 4: 275 for 1
    Set 5: 305 for 1 (personal best)

I wasn't driving with my legs first and leaning too far forward as well. I guess I had all sorts of things going on. He told me "get yer ass down head up and drive through the floor" it worked.

I think it's safe to say we can fight to 400 now :big grin:

25. Balzz

Around 8.30-8.45 last night. I wasn't going to try but got goaded (you see what I did there?) into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.