Just started running v. I hurt like a bitch

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by manchild, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Alright, I'll lay it all down. I'm in High School (I know). In between sports, and I want to start running in general. I need to lose some weight and get in shape (5'10" and 175, just a bit big).

So, I've started running. Well, I'm in the process. Last night I ran 2 miles in 22 minutes. Tonite I ran 4 miles in 32 minutes.

The thing is I'm terribly sore. I know this should be expected but is there any way to reduce this? Its just my legs (duh) and its my calves and my thighs that hurt the most. I've been stretching about 5 minutes before and after, anyone have any good links to specific stretchs or what not?

Also, this wasn't nearly as bad today as it was last night, but my chest starts to cramp. On my left side of my chest, I get this horrible crap. It was pretty fait tonite but still there, however it was very noticable last night. I usually eat about 3 hours before I run (Eat at 6:30ish and run at 9:30ish) is that enough time or is there something else?

Thanks a ton

By the way, I know this is going to sounds so pathetic but if anyone is considering getting the Nike+ system, it really helps. I payed 90 for my shoes (Nike+ Moire), 75 for a nano (1GB, new) and 30 on the little sensor kit and its really helping me monitor my progress and show how far I've gone etc.

2. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

What are the other sports are you playing?

3. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Oh and it might be from not running on a consistant basis. If you're just picking up running from being out for a long time, it's a good idea to ease into it - like a gentleman - alternating rest days and run days until your legs get used to taking impact. Chest cramps can probably be fixed with proper breathing, it's really easy to forget to breathe deep while you're running.

edit: Icing down after your run will also help a little with the soreness:

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Its more of a feeling like when you eat too much then go swimming right away than my chest locking up.

Just finished soccer, but we didn't do any running for the last month of the season other than normal games and basic practices. I've got hockey in 3 weeks but I just started playing last year so I'll be doing JV, and I'm playing Varsity Lacrosse in the Spring which is what I really want to get my speed and endurance up for.

So, you're saying run 3-4 miles one day then rest then 3-4 the next, and eventually do that moving on to 3-4, 3-4, rest, 3-4, 3-4, rest, 3-4 etc then every 4th day untill I'm ready to do it all 7 days?

I was also somewhat planning on doing something like alternating 2 and 4 miles, so I don't lose my flow. It seems like its a lot harder to run when I have a day or so off than when I do it every day, and it helps to get into a system.

If it matters, I'm 16 and a Juinor.

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

And I do have slight Athletic induced Asthma, but if I use my inhaler twice before I run/play a sport I'm fine.

6. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

I agree about easing into it. I started running recently. I could only jog for about 3-4 minutes in the beginning, but now I'm sitting at about 20 minutes of jogging out of a 30 minute run/walk.

I get the cramping too on my side, but I'm sure its due to my breathing. If you have asthma, you definately should have a doc check it out.

Now if only my shin splints would go away. :wtc:

7. xela

xela So say we all!

When your chest starts to hurt just slow down your pace. You're not racing anyone so there's no need to have to run so fast...especially if you're just starting out.

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna give it a shot tonite but try and take it easier. I can certainly run, I ran my first mile and a half without slowing down but its really endurance that I need to work on.

9. xela

xela So say we all!

:bigthumb:

10. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Oh, and I need to take tonite off. I might go and see if I can do a slow jog on the treadmill for a mile, but my legs hurt so much that I just can't even do the motion. You should see me walk up and down stairs :big grin:

Not to mention I've got a ton of homework (high schoolers, geeze)

11. amdspitfire

amdspitfire New Member

4mi in 32mins is BS, fyi

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

8 minute miles? why not? i do 7.x miles.

13. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I've got the nike+ stats to prove it, I can share them if you've got an account. :dunno:

I'm not some fatass kid. I mean I worked with the grounds crew at a schol over the summer which kept me in shape and I play a sport every season during the school year, I just want to build up my endurance and drop my 15lbs or so of love flub.

14. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

For the haters
    [​IMG]

And I know, it says two runs. I ended up babysitting tonite and got home later than I thought, so I couldn't go out. I need to catch up tomorrow morning, won't be able to run tomorrow night cause I'll be AT THE WORLD SERIES WATCHING THE TIGERS

15. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

And thats with those big dips which are my rests, I'm hoping to within a week or two be down to a 4 mile run in 29 or 30 minutes. Unfortunatly it doesn't show any numbers on the axisis so you don't know how fast you've got where exactly, but my mile times were...
    7 min 39 sec
    7 min 42 sec
    8 min 59 sec
    8 min 38 sec

Anyone who ripped on the Nike+ idea was a fucking idiot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.