Just started playing Risen

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Boomdart, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

My computer can barely manage to stay above 24fps :wtc::wtc:

Pretty good game, I'm sure it'll get more interesting. Pretty damn boring right now. I'm 2 hours into and getting my ass kicked by everything, trying to figure out how I'm supposed to make money and stop sucking.

I think there are two paths you can take in the beginning but I'm not sure, one to go with the magic users the other to go with the natives.

The fighting system is pretty good, it's a lot like Fable except the enemies are not pushover easy by any means, I'm on normal difficulty and it's pretty damn tough. Then again I have no armor at all and only a sword and a bow to defend myself with. Even if I had armor though, the monsters/enemies are pretty good at parrying your attacks and their footwork is pretty good too. You have to strike at the right moment or meet your maker :o

Graphics are top notch for sure, but if you have anything less than my computer you'll have to upgrade to play it. q6600, 2gb ram, 9800gt 512mb.

edit: I clocked my 9800gt to 671/1677, 1015 memory, and the game runs great at 1680x1050 with high texture and low shadows, medium everything else. SSAO off, Depth of Field off (stupid shit anyway), and 8x anisotropic.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

no one gives a fuck about the game, huh? :o

3. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

I suppose I could give it a look.

4. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

There was another thread bout the game, it's getting mixed reviews from OT. Some say its too hard, others like the challenge. I haven't had the time to try it out myself yet. I just fired up Brutal Legend last night. I really wish I had moer time on my hands, 24 hours isn't enough time in the day for me. :wtc:

5. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I'm enjoying it, it is tough as shit in the beginning, but it gets a bit more casual once you procure some decent armor and weapons. I'm about 20 hours in now and still on the first of four chapters.

Here is a hint, be creative. If a monster is too tough, lure him toward someone who will help you. If you seem stuck, trying climbing on things, buildings, walls, cliffs, etc...

7. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

I just started yesterday. I like it so far. Shit isnt spoonfed to you like most games recently. I am a good ways into the quests at the excavation camp area. I need some damn armor already.

8. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

This game is really starting to piss me off

I think I have 6 hours or so on the game now, I haven't received a single god damned piece of armor and i'm still wearing the shitty clothes I was at the beginning. I found a shield but a lot of good that does me when fighting a god damn pig with tusks that owns your ass whether you block or not :mad:

I just got Brogar figured out rachel's doing her thing with him.

I just can't damn believe they'd release this game and say to themselves "I think we did a good job, pigs and crickets are as strong as many end-game bosses."

I can't fight shit without having to save and load a million times to kill it. Blocking doesn't work on the stupid pigs and the wolves are fast as hell, the troll looking people kill in one hit.

I beat everyone at the arena that was a challenge worth playing for, but when you're getting killed by gnats and moths that shit pisses me off.

I finally managed to afford a better sword, the one that's a blunt weapon but still classified as sword for some reason.

I don't want to pay 500 gold (which I barely have half of) for workers clothes, that sounds like a big waste of money.

Trying to find the last two pieces of the broken sword, got one from brogan and two from chests.

I have to take a break, I'm gonna have an aneurysm from getting so pissed off if I keep playing right now :mad:

For all intents and purposes I'm glad it's not a pushover easy title like Fable...but this shit is just unreal.

9. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

checking it out now

oh, one thing that is good about the game is that when you do some stuff for a quest you don't even know exists yet, it'll let you complete the quest. Then later you can find whoever was supposed to give you that quest, "get it" and just tell him you've already done it.

also, i stated it runs like shit on my computer and I've been playing in lower resolutions with half or less settings and stuff to attempt to get it to run better... but I jacked it back up to high textures and 1680x1050 and oddly enough it plays just as well if not better than lower resolutions...so weird.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

That is the next best armor, and the only opportunity to improve your armor for the next 10 hours +

The game is certainly a challenge, don't enter into combat with anything unless you take it seriously. Save often. I'll post a screenshot of my character when I get home

11. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

fuck, really?

After reading that site that was posted earlier it seems the much easier path is going to the inquisitors :hsd:

If I see the shadow of a monster I hit the quick save button :o

This game is starting to sound like it's going to take a very, very, very long time to beat. Quite a feat considering the install size and whatnot.

12. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Just got into the harbour town... I tried doing every quest I could before I went, but like, three of them just never went to the completed list, I didn't know what else to do on them :dunno:

as much as this game pisses me off all the time, I'm not going to let a video game kick my ass, I will be the victor :o The graphics are stunning, I only wish I had a more powerful computer to turn all the performance options to max. just having textures on high and everything else medium, draw distance low, still looks great though

13. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

Some times you have to complete other quests as unstated objectives of others. Same thing happened to me at the camp, but as I finished up there, they all went through with the right dialogue options.

Cheat/spoiler note: There is a very easy way to win all the fights in the arena if you are willing to employ some unsavory tactics: Around the back of the arena where the wall over hangs a bit. Before the fight starts head up there with a ranged weapon. Step up to the very edge and that will initiate the fight as you 'being in the arena with your weapon drawn'. You can sit up there and pewpew the guy until he is just about to die.
    Just make you sure you jump down and finish him off by hand. For some reason if you just kill him with the bow you fail the quest. Using the sword works fine though. :bigthumb:

14. CodeX

CodeX Guest

[​IMG]

The hunters clothes are the next best option after the workers clothes, and the weapon I am using is 60 damage and I have 80 strength. I kill most beasts in the wild in a single hit, game is much more forgiving than it was in the first 20 hours. Still combat with other humans, especially inquisition soldiers, is challenging.

15. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

the game is pretty fucking challenging, and it takes a while before you get some actual armor. i'm still enjoying it but then again i love these kinds of games.

i'm just wondering what's the order side of the story like, i went with the hunters

16. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

same I went with the hunters too, I'm surprised that I get to go to the town but I imagine your foray into the town is much different if you go ahead and join the inquisition people. I just wonder if you get earlier sets of armor and what not going that route :dunno:

Probably gonna get back on today, i've already forgotten what i'm supposed to do in town. Good thing the game keeps a log of everything said for quests for just such occasions :cool:

I'll remember that arena trick. Those battles were tough as hell, the way I went about it was every single time I got a hit in I would hold block and quicksave. If I got hit it usually meant I went down hard, so I'd just quick load immediately and attempt it again. I do that a lot when I'm out of energy. I'd be out of potions and meat if I didn't, hell, I have like 17 pieces of meat and a few potions...it'd take all my meat just to heal me up once, fuck that if I'm out in the wild fighting moths and birds :o I did get the 500 gold armor, and it sure as hell helps a lot but I consistently find myself trying to attack oh, two or three moths thinking I'm doing fine and I'm safe...then some bitch ass moth comes from behind and stabs his giant stinger through my spleen :squint:

17. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

This game really sounds right up my ally. I need to get on it!

18. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

1st time I saw a rotworm I ran like hell, I've never had a game's enemies intimidate me so much

19. BobBarkersSoup

BobBarkersSoup New Member

I've gotten like an hour or two in on this game and I'm really liking it so far. I like it when games aren't a pushover and require some work and shit. The environments look AMAZING and run fucking great on my old ass computer.

Is there any fucking character screen that shows how many learning points and experience points and shit you have?

20. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

press c

21. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

13 hours into it now. Just got to the volcano place where the inquisitor is, and made hunter status and got the hunter armor.

Game is absolutely amazing. The graphics I can hardly get over, I have texture quality on high but everything else is medium/low and it still looks amazing. i still get pretty pissed that my level 11 (or is it 12?) character gets his ass beat by a wild boar. I have a war shield now, and trained blacksmithy (which I highly recommend you do asap) and made a sharp sword w/ 30 attack... Apparently all you can do is use sword blanks and make whatever the sword blank is...there isn't really a list of things you can make, like a steel sword blank always makes the same sword for example.

Wolves aren't any easier either, I swear they got smarter or are learning my method of attack because those bitches jump around like a pissed off redneck on speed and meth now to avoid my attacks. Fighting humans isn't nearly as tough as the creatures most of the time.

I'm guessing I'll be able to fight better once I get a weapon skill above 2. I've been spending money on getting my strength up to 40 and dexterity up to 30 so far, and I got most of the other skills up 2 or 3 dots.

I've been saving my pixie caps and ogre roots and shit in hopes that maybe instead of just +1 attribute it'll give more if I make a potion out of them, later in the game. Do you ever get something like that? I've got several and while I've used a bunch before I decided to start saving them, I have a bunch I'd like to use right now :o

I figured out I can clock my 9800gt to 671 core, 1677 shader, and 1015 memory and my temp stays right around 88c most the time, sometimes dropping to 82 sometimes going up to 92. It's very odd they're that low (i know they're very high) for this game because even not overclocked Fallout 3, NFS Shift and Prototype all raise my temp above 100c if I don't have the fan speed set at 100%. Game is almost unplayable if I don't overclock, but plays 30-40fps+ most of the time if I do thank god. It's so odd that o/c'ing hasn't seemed to increase my temperature though. I don't understand it one bit.

22. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Oh yeah, I've been using XPadder and mapped the controls to the game keys for my xbox 360 controller. hell of a lot funner to play like that, easier to immerse yourself in the game when you can sit and lounge however you want while holding a controller :o

23. TheGreat8

TheGreat8 OT Supporter

I've been pretty interested in this game. Is it just a big open sandbox-rpg like the elder scrolls?

24. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

Not at all. It is very structured, but complex. All the quests in an area seem to interweave to advance the story line. I think that is why I am enjoying it more than most games. 1. Its hard. 2. I dont feel like I am running around doing worthless shit all the time.

25. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

dot

Everything you do has a purpose. You don't run around with no direction, ever.

From what I can tell monsters do not respawn and neither do any of the herbs you pick up... at least they haven't seemed to in my game so far. I read on a forum somewhere that there isn't enough experience available in the game to max every skill, which sort of backs up my statement. That's fine though, fights in this game are tough as fuck and you feel like you really accomplished something when you get through a group of "monsters."