SRS Just so I dont kill that other dudes thread.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BradUF, Apr 30, 2005.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I already went to a very good doctor a few weeks back for my ADD. I asked him if I could try Streterra. He notice my blood pressure was already high and was worried about me taking ANY meds for ADD since all of them can raise your blood pressure. So I tried it for a week and yes it worked great, I dont feel tired and like crap all the time. I want to do things and go places. I had the energy to do things. But guess what, it was fucking with my blood pressure. My blood preussre reached 151 over 87 in 4 days. I had to stop taking it and there are no other options for ADD with meds.

Also Peyomp you assume I have not been to all of these places you have suggested. I have been to doctors, counselors, psychiatris and even a fucking Neurologist for just fucking ADD among two other learning disorders. Also I have been enrolled in expenssive ADD learning centers to come up with ways for me to do better in school.

Even with all of this I don't feel like I suffer or anything, like you all make it sound.The reason I am not happy is because I want a life where I am where I am an A+ student, tons of girls and a job I like. I dont know what more the fuck you want me to do, Peyomp. Fucking act like I have not been through the channels you have suggested. I have. Also you keep saying I am depressed don't you think one of those people above would have found that by all of these years?

2. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

wow, an entire thread dedicated to a personal attack. good move.
    Man, no one is trying to cut you down. if you post in the asylum, people are going to suggest solutions to what they think your problem might be. if you don't want that, why did you even reply to the thread at all?
    You aren't happy because you aren't an A+ student w/ tons of girls and a job you like? well if thats what it takes then you are gonna be in for a rough time, man. maybe i interpreted you crazy punctuation wrong. that just isn't a reasonable expectation from life. thats a dream, not a goal.
    So you can't take meds for ADD because of your blood pressure. That sucks. The rest of us who can are going to because it helps. Thats why they make the stuff. If someone brings up teh possibility of depression, you ought to consider because it is pretty common in people with ADD.
    Take a chill pill (oh, sorry, blood pressure, thats right.)

3. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

then don't critize it if you think you can overcome it w/o meds.

for you that may be the case, for others, it is not always the case.

Strattera has made a drastic change in my life. It's like day and night. I'm not nearly as neurotic as I've been in the past.

4. I disagree with the way you're handling this.

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Are you on any meds for your blood pressure? Diet and exercise?

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

No its not high enough for that but to high for me to take anything thats going to raise it.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Rock:EliteLamer:Hard Place

8. I asked the doctor today about this specifically when he recommended it, and he said that it won't cause blood pressure problems. You could use Welbutrin and it would work equally well on your ADHD just like Strattera.

9. BradUF

BradUF Guest

O I know Welbutrin wont cause blood pressure problems or the sexual side effects but I am almost sure my doctor is not going to give it to me. Also one of my friends with ADD said he took Welbutrin and said it caused him to get really emotional over everything.

When I asked my doctor about anything besides Streterra he said there was nothing I could take. My doctor is not going to give me an Anti depressent for ADD and yes I know Welbutrin off label use is ADD.

I am just going to hold on to the Stretterra for when I need it for something. Short term use wont hurt my blood pressure. Summer is comming up in like a month and I wont start college for 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2005
  10. Always a fuckin' excuse with you. I'm in no position to be helping anyone anyway, so I'm done talking about this.

11. johan

johan Active Member

I would've put him on IL already, but I'm amused by his antics.
    Just don't expect any change. He's not looking for change. Just some attention.

12. Elitelamer wrote me an e-mail. Thank you for giving me that courtesy and for talking honestly about exactly what has gone on. I'll keep it private, but others here need to know you're trying.

13. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I still don't believe his BS frankly, even if he wrote you an email.... what makes you think he's not being facetious in that email?

anyways, about strattera, something you should know is that it works like an SSRI and not a stimulant, you can't 'just take it' when you need to study.. it won't do anything since it needs time to saturate your seratonin or something.... i can't remember what it activates but it needs time, whereas stimulants just pop in there.

14. Well whatever. I really don't care at this point what anyone is or isn't doing. I have enough problems of my own and there are plenty of other people to reach out to for help if anyone wants it.

15. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Try wellbutrin. If your doc is considering add medication at all, they are much worse to abuse then wellbutrin, which is almost non-abusable.

I beleive tryptophan, melatonin, or one of those smart drugs effectively treats add. Much safer.

Will an SRNI raise your BP? Effexor can treat add...

16. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

unfortunately, those drugs, along with straterra, are at best a substitute for real medication. I have tried all that and all it does is make me sleepy and that doesn't help. ADD is caused by a lack of neuron connections in the frontal lobe of your brain, the decision/reasoning part, so that is why ADD sufferers lack in that area. Stimulants help to increase the amount of sonnections and improve desicion making skills, as well as improve concentration.
    sorry about the spelling.

17. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

No way dude.

Strattera is much better then those other shit drugs. Stattera is a NRI, but it has been proven to increase dopamine (and it's communication) in the frontal lobe.

It's been shown in some tests to be more effective then ritalin, and let's not forget it's one pill a day with a better side effect profile.

And wellbutrin is the shit for certain people, are you kidding me? It directly works on dopamine, and seratonin and norephenedrine if I remember correctly...

18. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I have to take two a day.

From my understanding Steterra is the best stuff out there with the least side effects. I had zero side effects after only four days which is great. I think I am just going to start taking it again.

19. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

it's the first drug i'm gonna ask for when i get my new shrink.

my old stale shrink didnt know wtf it was and thought it was evil. you would think they get a newsletter or something to update them, but no, they stay dinosaurs... PERSCRIBING DINOSAURS X(

20. johan

johan Active Member

Not all doctors stay current. Some are lazy and just keep doling out from the same bag of tricks they acquired when they first started practicing.

Pharm reps do work hard to try and sell product and thereby inform docs of new drugs, but that's not really the best approach.

Bottom line: docs are human, all too human. If you don't like yours, get a new one.

I think most people put more effort into choosing their clothes, or scoping out the features of some high-tech gadget, or poring over a new car than they do into choosing their medical professionals.

Odd, isn't it.