Just saw Matrix: Reloaded...my observations. (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Laserbeak, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Amazing how many different views can be taken on this movie, and how it can be made to look valid. Truely a work of art in terms of room for interpretation.

Here's what I noticed:

I got the impression after the end of the movie that the machines were divided into two "factions" in terms of thoughts and beliefs.

The first faction was the machines of the past (reference: The Second Renaissance, Part 1), which believed that both man and machine could co-exist peacefully. Key players here were the Keymaker and the Oracle. Both admitted to being programs, but both also mentioned at one point or another, everything is created for a purpose.

The second faction is the machines of the present (reference: The Second Renaissance, Part 2), which takes on a much more militant stance towards the relationship between man and machine; a sharp contrast from the machines of the past, or the "relics," as the agents referred to them as. The main key player for this faction is the Architect. When Neo makes his choice, notice how ready the Architect is to mention that their world will keep going, with or without humans in the manner that he does. Also, notice how the Architect scoffs when Neo mentions the Orcale in his presence. Why are the agents so hellbent on eliminating the relics? Perhaps the agents going after relics are their way of keeping things under control in their digital world as well; preventing open, unrestricted communication among humans and other machines? Maybe this is another method that the machines use to exhibit control on both humans and other machines. The end justifies the means. It sounds like, in this respect, the machines ironically suffer from the same problems that some human governments have. One example: the Iraqi media during the "Shock and Awe" campaign earlier this year.

(Does anyone else notice a parallel between Professor Xavier and Magneto here? I sure do.)

Could it be that the machines also suffer from another flaw that their original creators exhibit themselves? Perhaps this new generation of machines suffer from a desire to ignore words from elders, like teenagers tend to do? Immaturity due to age, perhaps?

Is it possible that there are two anomalies in the Matrix: Neo and Agent Smith?

Both appear to be radically different: Neo is compassionate, protective of his loved ones, caring, yet unsure of himself. Smith on the other hand is cold-hearted, arrogant, power-hungry, and willing to do anything to get what he wants, no matter the sacrifice. One could compare these two (to some extent) to Optimus Prime and Megatron, respectively.

Interesting to see Morpheus being put to the ultimate test: can he continue to have faith, even though he doesn't think the prophecy is processing as he expected it?

(Eh, might post more tomorrow, I'm tired.) :sleep:

2. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I expect Neo to turn Agent Smith in the next movie. If he is the One, he should convert others.