SRS Just quit my job

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kurt Wagner, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Kurt Wagner

Kurt Wagner New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BB Tour Bitches! :bowdown:: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've worked at the same restaurant for almost 10 years. And today the owner just started screaming at me over something that had almost nothing to do with me and something inside me just snapped and I said I can't take this I'm going home, and even after all I've done for them all he could say to me was "fuck you then, go home"

I feel like someone stabbed me, ten years of being a good employee, never late never called in never cause problems and they are going to scream at me over something so trivial and just let me walk out the door.

Anyway, I have no idea what I'm going to do now, I've only got about $2000. Not enough to last me long, but I am about to graduate, but this was literally the only reference I had to put on my resume.

Anyway I know I don't post in here ever but I guess I just hoped that there would be someone out there that would just hear my story, because I've really got no one else to go to.

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Sleep with his wife/daughter(s), and then use them as your references.

3. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

If you've been there 10 years, you're set. That experience will allow you to move up to a better quality establishment. Also, when you interview at the new location -DO NOT TALK BAD about your last employer.

4. Kurt Wagner

Kurt Wagner New Member

my concern isn't getting a job right now, I can call up a bunch of different friends/relatives and easily get some other shitty job. What I'm worried about is the fact that I had one reference on my resume for when I graduate and try and get something good, and I've now fucked that up.

Pretty much the only thing I had going for me was that I have been a loyal employee for 10 years, and now I cant really say that.

5. blackbirdbeatle

You still have that. The owner was an asshole and while you should never say anything negative about a past employer in an interview, I think people will be understanding when you say there was a difference between what the job had turned into and what I wanted in my career and so I left. Or you could say it was no longer a good fit for me. Or I wasn't being challenged enough. Whatever. The important thing is that you worked there for 10 years, which is a lot longer than most people nowadays and as long as they know you didn't leave because of an illegal activity or something that violated the rules of the establishment, then they should be willing to overlook the lack of a good reference from that one person.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

A) Sorry for your loss....that sucks.

B) A bad ending to a 10 year job does not erase all your previous 10 years of hard work. You should still put this on your resume and the circumstances for your leaving. Don't lie but you don't have to give all the details either. Create your story that is as close to accurate as possible but also leaves you in a good light. Read resume books for some kick ass advice on this.....seriously, you're not the first person that this kind of thing has happened to.

C) Your old boss isn't allowed to elaborate on why you left. He can only confirm your start and end date and whether or not your eligible for re-hire and I think that last part may even be illegal now. If you don't get a job and the reason is because of past references, you have a right to ask for the information provided in that reference. You can then contact the labor department in your state and file a complaint against your old boss and the labor department will go after him.
    Don't allow your hurt and disappointment about these events convince you of this bullshit. You have a lot going for you. You're in school and hopefully will graduate soon....that's something that a lot of people can't say. You've worked at the same company for 10 fucking years!!! That's something many people can't say....myself included. Longest I've ever worked anywhere is 9 years and I'm 42 so I've been around. :)

Look I know it's difficult but you have to stay positive. It's simply too demoralizing when you're looking for a new job. Read inspirational books, do stuff that makes you happy and try not to dwell on the bad. Keep your eyes on the horizon because the next great thing might be closer than you think.

Good luck.

7. Kurt Wagner

Kurt Wagner New Member

I'm pretty sure, at least here anyway, is that its not that they CANT say anything, its just that most people prefer not to. My understanding was that if you say something negative, you can be sued for slander, which is why most of your past employers will only confirm the dates you worked there. I could be wrong.

I'm really just upset with myself that I couldn't control my temper and just deal with it and go on with my day. But at the same time, I'm proud that I'm one of the few people to stand up to this asshole and show him that not everyone is going to tolerate being treated that way.

8. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

pretty sure that employers aren't allowed to say anything other than confirm you were an employee for x amount of years.

9. blackbirdbeatle

And that you are eligible or ineligible for rehire. The vagueness of that last statement could really screw you depending on how well you interviewed though as they employer could think up a number of false reasons in their own head about why you aren't eligible for rehire. Even if the reasons why you aren't eligible for rehire are related to past job performance. Oh yes, many companies also talk about your salary.

But there isn't a law against saying whatever they want about you as long as it isn't malicious or untrue. Or course we all know this isn't always the case.