SRS just quit my job, where to go from here?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JordanClarkson, Nov 12, 2007.

1. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I didn't hate my job or anything, but the things that kept me sane are no longer there. they treated me great but my friends like shit and fired them all. work became rather lonely. So where do I go from here? I have a few options...

1. move to a foreign country to teach english. it's going to be basically minimum wage so that sucks but this is what i wanted to do before i moved back home a few months ago. if i run out of money, oh well, sayonara world

2. rent a cabin in the woods, finish my book, and then off myself. hopefully that will help sell a tonne of books and leave my parents some good monies. i've wanted to do that since i was 16. and now i only live an hour away from my dream cabin.

3. move in with my ex gf who needs another roommate. i have a job waiting for me there, lots of friends, and it's where i called home for 6 years. i love the college town and i love the surf. however, i might feel like shit when i hear her getting banged by her bf of the week.

4. stay in LA and do nothing. my parents are retiring to FL. they wanted me to have a job in order to keep up with the mortgage so we can keep the house. i can rent out 4 rooms which would bring in enough for the mortgage, utils, insurance, and give me a bit of spending money. i don't think they'll go for that idea of renting unless i have a $30-45k+ job though.

5. get a job. a real job. one in IT. the only problem is that i hate IT. it's what i'm good at and i'll fit in fairly well. they expect admins to have my type of personality so i can be myself. but i'll be bored for the rest of my life.

6. join a circus?

2. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

those are some tough choices... seems like everything has a sacrifice of some sort with it. Just don't pick off-ing yourself.

3. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

You can chose combinations.
    Look for companies that are in the field you're interseted in - seems like you are more action/adventure oriented, so why not try to start at IT a place like
    O'neil or North Face and then work up from there.

Remember that there is a difference between a hobby and an occupation. A hobby is something you enjoy doing just for the pure act of doing it, while an occupation is what you do so that you can afford to do your hobby's. If you can tie them together then all the power to you, but in the realistic sense most people can't get around seperation of the two.

Seeing as it looks like you will get a good reference from your past employer, take this into account - use it for an advantage.

Whatever you chose, take a chance. Comfort zones are nice and all, but they provide little satisfaction when the day is over and done with.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm going with option 6

5. Striker22

Striker22 New Member

Option 3 sounds fucking awful. Why in the world would you ever live with an EX g/f ? Find a job you kind of like in the area, and find a reasonable place to live. LA doesn't sound cheap though. How old are you ?

6. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

3. move in with my ex gf who needs another roommate. i have a job waiting for me there, lots of friends, and it's where i called home for 6 years. i love the college town and i love the surf. however, i might feel like shit when i hear her getting banged by her bf of the week.

:hsugh:

7. JordanClarkson

seduced by the comfort of familiarity :o

8. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

You gotta get out of your comfort zone and try something new.

You make sacrifices all the time through out your life span. It all depends on where you want to be five, ten years from now. Ask yourself that, and then decide.

edit: Like everyone else asked: Why the fuck would you want to move in with your ex gf and hear her fuck the bf of the week? That's a shitty place to start anew my friend.

9. Eek!

Eek! New Member

Teaching English in a foreign country doesn't pay minimum wage. You can make damn good money if you go to the right places. Try Japan or Korea.

10. JordanClarkson

i would prefer going to a european or spanish country

11. Eek!

Eek! New Member

Oh, good luck with that. Western Europe sucks for Americans to teach English. They can get Brits who don't need work visas. South America would be okay, but I don' think they pay as much. : /

12. Striker22

Striker22 New Member

How can you got from familiarity to thinking of teaching in an international country :hsugh: ? Almost direct opposites.. :rofl:. Breaking out of your comfort zone ftw though

13. JordanClarkson

i meant going back to live where my gf still lives. my friends are all there