Just put a rear sprocket on my Eliminator 125

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AVengeance, Oct 9, 2009.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Okay, so my WIFE's Eliminator, not mine. She named it "Silver" (you guessed it, it's silver). Personally, I wanted to call it "Sliver" since it's so tiny. We do think alike, though. Awwweee...

So, anyway, she got kinda nervous about the top speed being about 65mph. Not that she wants to drive it fast, but wants to know that the bike CAN do a little more if it needs to. I put a windscreen on it, which seems to have helped aerodynamic drag a little, and will be doing a little more in that regard. I decided to go ahead and try putting on a rear sprocket myself, even though I have very little experience working with motorcycles :noes:. I can R&R a racecar engine, and can do pretty much anything else automotive, so long as I have the tools to do it, but was admittedly a little nervous about messing with the rear (drum) brake, chain, etc. Old sprocket is 46T, this one's 42.

Turns out it was no big deal. Easy job, just follow the steps in the FSM. The install instructions were completely stupid and lacking in detail, so I just pretty much reversed removal instructions to put it back together. Easy job, just make sure things are torqued correctly, pins back in bolts with retaining pins, etc.

Cliffs: don't be all :noes: about pulling the rear wheel to swap a chain, change a sprocket, etc. If you've got the aptitude, you can do it.

I also made a different brake torque link (piece that goes from the brake to the chassis). The OEM one was 3/16" thick steel, and I replaced it with one made from 1/4" thick aluminum, with a few holes drilled for light weight. It's both lighter and stronger than OE, and will never rust.

Work took about 2hr., including fabricating the aftermarket torque link.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I looked up the specs on that bike and its 0-60 should read 1980's japanies minivan. :rofl:

How does she like it? Have you put her on the Ninja?

3. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Not on the Ninja yet. She's sat on it, but hasn't ridden it. She likes the more laid-back style of a standard / cruiser. It's just her way. My daughter rides it a little right now, and may be taking her driving test with it.

And yea, it ain't fast. It's cute, light, simple (no radiator) gets 80mpg (my numbers so far, with about 450 miles on it), low seat height (daughter is only 5' tall). Plenty quick enough around town, and will pull along at 55mph all day long, which is pretty impressive for a tiny 125. It's like a scooter, but without screaming "I'm a liberal hippy ecogeek".

I would have bought an Eliminator 250 if they still made such a thing. She'll probably get tired of the 125 by the end of next year, and I'll get her a Vulcan, or put her on a crossovers like the Versys and see how she likes it. She's not too fond of the sport-bike seating position, but she really likes classics and standards, and looks damn good in leather :naughty:.

As long as she doesn't bang up the 125, I'll get my money's worth out of it in gas savings alone.

The big reason for the sprocket was that she balked when I told her the realistic top speed was 63mph. She wants to be ABLE to go 65mph (like to speed up and merge left if someone's pulling on the highway ahead). She promises to stay at 55 when she's on the highway, which is only a few miles anyway. I think she might... it's been a few years since her last speeding ticket :rofl:

EDIT: testing is complete, albeit in very cold weather. I think I need to richen the mixture a little. Feels like it's struggling for power when the choke is all the way off. Top speed is up about 4mph, but is actually DOWN about 3mph if there's significant headwind. Max speed in a 30mph headwind is 55mph. Yikes. As long as it's on level ground, and without the headwind, max speed is up to 67 from 63. That's plenty of extra rev potential for my wife to feel comfortable she's not going to over-rev the engine.

Next mod is ram air :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009