Just pics of my ATX->MTX swap...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by skolen, Apr 30, 2007.

1. skolen

skolen Guest

Not that any of you probably care since it's a Cougar. But it's quite the endeavor and I'm also putting in a set of MSDS headers and the lighter SVT flywheel/clutch assembly for a little more HP.

So far we're about 1.5 days and expect to finish tomorrow. Apart from this, my mods are:

- Koni adjustables w/GC coilovers
    - Borla exhaust
    - OMP front strut tower brace
    - Ford ST200 (unreleased) rear strut tower brace
    - KKM intake
    - MSDS headers w/high-flow Y-Pipe
    - 17" Team Locos w/some decent Bridgestones

Not the fastest thing, I know. But I focused more on the suspension and it handles amazingly. A complete blast to drive on twisty roads.

How she's sat for the past few days:
    [​IMG]

Removing the poo-poo ATX peddle assembly
    [​IMG]

ATX shifter assembly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello ATX suckfest.
    [​IMG]

GET THE F**K OUTTA HERE!
    [​IMG]

MTX shifter & cables installed.
    [​IMG]

Hate on :hsd:

2. Tool

Tool Erect Member OT Supporter

3. CJPA

CJPA New Member

How much money did you spend on that?

4. skolen

skolen Guest

$300 for a junked MTX Cougar as a parts car. Probably another $4-500 for replacing things that were worn like bushings.

5. Ocho Holto

Ocho Holto Guest

what's atx and mtx?

6. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

Automatic and Manual transmissions.

7. DVS SHO 93

DVS SHO 93 machine of hate

8. pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster Resident Ford Troll OT Supporter

those pedals are fun arent they? I did the same thing with my 93 GT...AOD-T5 swap...however its way easier than what you are gettin into.

9. skolen

skolen Guest

They were a bitch to get in. Mostly because it's obvious in how it's in there they were added before the dash was. So the top bolts are impossible to get in w/the clutch pedal in the way. But it's in there good now.

No, no money for a 3.0l right now. Someday tho. Only reason I'm doing this is because my auto shit the bed and this believe it or not, is the cheaper route.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

why mod a cougar? im not hating im just curious

11. skolen

skolen Guest

When I bought it new in Nov' 99 (2000 model) I thought it was one of the most original looking cars on the road at the time (kinda still is IMO).

Yea it's a disgrace to it's lineage when you look at the 170hp engine which gets about 120-150hp to the wheels in a 3,000lb car. But it was a fun ride out of the box and had a huge trunk, nice interior and I only paid $16k for it. So it was a great deal w/that "potential" everyone hopes for. Could I have gotten something faster? Yeah, I was originally looking at a '68 Nova and a '94 Impala SS for less money.

So the short answer is, I just really love the car. I didn't want a 4-banger that would've sounded like ass and wouldn't make any decent power w/out turbos and NOS and I didn't want your cookie-cutter muscle car Mustang/Camaro/Firebird that would be cheap to mod, but put my insurance through the roof.

People have swapped out the 2.5 for a tweaked 3.0l and with some more bolt ons it makes some decent power for little money. Especially when these cars can be bought up for $3-4,000 now.

12. skolen

skolen Guest

It's in and it starts!

Now we just gotta figure out the wiring to trick it into seeing the MTX on teh same ECU. That or swap that out and the PATS and deal with an unknown set of problems.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I like my Tiptronic VW. The torque converter stays locked above 20mph or so when it's in semiautomatic mode, so the shifts are nice and fast, and when I'm too tired to give a shit, my baby takes care of the gears for me.

14. skolen

skolen Guest

I detailed a coworkers car that had that. It was surprisingly responsive and fun to use. It's also more shit to go wrong later and expensive to fix.

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I used to own a '98 Contour SVT. Worst car on the face of the planet. 2 engines and 3 transmissions. Absolutly hated it and everything about the Duratec itself.

16. deusexaethera

Nah, VW engines and transmissions are bulletproof. It's the wiring harness that likes to fall apart. Oh, what I'd give for a German car with Japanese electronics.

17. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I second this opinion.

Can you imagine an M5 or M3 that never had a problem with the A/C?

That would be so great.

18. deusexaethera

It amuses me when I read on VW forums about people upgrading from HEPU coilpacks and Bosch MAF sensors to Hitachi parts, complexity and difficulty be damned. But hell, if it works better...

...and now back to your regularly-scheduled Cougar.